Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

In that picture, I don't think D18 is actually on the rails... :locomotive: :no:

Looks like its well off the road, there seems to be a tool van behind it and the bloke seems to be carrying packing

• RMweb Premium

I've been asked about the other Gresley inspection saloon in the High Dyke/British Steel lines preservation era, so here are three photos of it.  I'm not sure of it's history, the captions are from Dad's notes made at the time (and he managed the Sewstern area of the operation).

attachicon.gifSewstern ex BR Class 03 D2381 with Gresley GNR inspection saloon Nov 73 J3479.jpg

Sewstern ex BR Class 03 D2381 with Gresley GNR inspection saloon Nov 73 J3479

attachicon.gifSewstern GNR inspection saloon built 1912 DE320042 Jan 74 J3524.jpg

Sewstern GNR inspection saloon built 1912 DE320042 Jan 74 J3524

attachicon.gifSewstern Gunby Road crossing Avonside Fred at rear of train D2381 and Primrose No 2 at front plus Gesley inspection salon LMS sleeper Pullman Zena GER coach, GER coach No1 and NER slaoon Oct 74 J4060.jpg

Sewstern Gunby Road crossing Avonside Fred at rear of train D2381 and Primrose No 2 at front plus Gesley inspection salon LMS sleeper Pullman Zena GER coach, GER coach No1 and NER slaoon Oct 74 J4060

This was taken on a very sad day when the coaches were leaving the line for the last time to go to Carnforth after it was realised that the scheme was not going to come to fruition at Sewstern and Market Overton.

The cost of keeping the connection to the ECML at High Dyke was going to be prohibitive and the other option of relaying the line to Saxby Junction on the Midland line was also problematic, once again partly because of the cost of a junction with BR.

Edited three times for spelling - I blame my battery keyboard for missing letters.

David

Hi David 

The photos of the GNR Saloon are excellent, I just wish I had them when I done this drawing for my mate who was going to make a 7mm model of it. I have a pair of the old type Hornby Gresley coaches line up should I want to have a go in 4mm. 

post-16423-0-27970100-1420654359_thumb.png

Hi David 

The photos of the GNR Saloon are excellent, I just wish I had them when I done this drawing for my mate who was going to make a 7mm model of it. I have a pair of the old type Hornby Gresley coaches line up should I want to have a go in 4mm. 

attachicon.gifMetcalf saloon 20-8.png

Hi Clive - that's why I asked the original question way back in post#1838

Planning on a similar cut and shut...........

Edited by leopardml2341

Nice plate ........................ and we don't believe your excuse about the flares  :O

P

I wanted to rate that post disagree, although this would look bad in 'ratings' and only because I know you are jesting :punish: I won't post the later pic with shorts in lieu of the flares. :keeporder:

Edited by leopardml2341

A couple of caption errors: J6890 - that's a 4VEP (Class 423) behind the MLV and J6888 is a 4CEP (Class 411).

Us that was brought up on the things are used to using the SR and BR(S) designations and completely ignored the TOPS classifications when they were introduced...

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Gold

A couple of caption errors: J6890 - that's a 4VEP (Class 423) behind the MLV and J6888 is a 4CEP (Class 411).

Us that was brought up on the things are used to using the SR and BR(S) designations and completely ignored the TOPS classifications when they were introduced...

Thanks, caption amended.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Like the photo's of St Mary Cray tonight. I particularly like C4883, in November, 1979, of 4x class 414's, with 6143 leading.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

Dave,

I have very fond memories of that footbridge and the walk along the fence line watching the sticklebacks in the stream as a nipper.

You have the bridge over St Mary cray but also the short walk down the path to the bridge over Petts wood. Sadly both of these bridges are now encased in mesh and photos are virtually impossible.

The last time I was around the footbridges was when the Eurostars had changed from coming up onto the South Eastern to continuing through St mary cray.

Edited by Bulleidnutter

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's of Morpeth. I like the very well weathered 37 in that first photo'. In C6380, of 47 460, January, 1984, you have captured a very wintry scene, and one which reminds me of just how cold it was that winter!

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Re. C5123: the signal on the loop line unusually has its 'feather' remote from the top of the signal itself, presumably for sighting purposes - not seen that before...

That's quite normal just the design of signal. There are some signal that I can't think of at the moment where the feathers are next to the signal head

• RMweb Premium

That's quite normal just the design of signal. There are some signal that I can't think of at the moment where the feathers are next to the signal head

One posted recently by The Stationmaster on another thread (7th photo):

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/93699-uk-semaphore-and-modern-aspect-signal-photos/page-6&do=findComment&comment=1732546

Is it something that has happened more recently or is it a spec that's always been possible?

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Premium

Clacton's were just beautiful and were comfortable as well (until they fitted Mk3 type seating).  :sungum:

The building in C3686 behind the proper train with the wavey roof was the Marconi works canteen. You soon learnt where you were not allowed to sit to have your meal when you were new to Marconi's. :nono:  :nono: They are now building flats on the site.   :resent:  :resent: 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I really like the photo's of the GEML tonight. Being a Mk1 design, the class 309's were a really good design of EMU, and it's a shame that present day units are not as good.

All the best,

Market65.

Hi Dave, many thanks for all your wonderful pictures, especially those from Harwich/ GEML.

Oh how we miss the 309 and 312 units... We're left with the dross that is the 321 and 360s now- but hey, that's progress for you!

(Edit for typo).

Edited by 45059