Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of Dent. The first one of an unidentified class 8F, on a down special passenger service, 1X28, from May, 1966, is just so atmospheric and, as so often, shows something that cannot be recreated in this day and age.

The photo’s of Ynyslas and Aberystwyth are most excellent and convey the Welsh scenery perfectly, along with Aberystwyth station. In C4720, at Ynyslas, with a class 120, on a Aberystwyth to Machynlleth service, on the  7th August, 1979, you can see how the three cars are swaying as the unit progresses along the jointed bullhead track. Also no electric tail lights, but one oil tail lamp.

The Nottingham Midland photo’s, in black and white, are of great interest, and in JVol2061, of a Gresley cafeteria Car, M9216E, the photo’ most probably dates from early 1955. The reason being, on looking up the details of the carriage, in Hugh Longworth’s carriage book, on page 315, that M9216, was introduced in December, 1954, and withdrawn in December, 1962. It was ex diagram 11, of 1931, teak bodied, with 30 first class seats and one toilet. The rebuild reduced the seating to 18 unclassified. It was not preserved. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, russ p said:

Morning David Great pictures 

The 45 isn't the same as D12 is one of the very rare ones with gangway doors . There were 3 of them I believe 

I wonder if the second (blue) one is D12x. The number looks like it has an extra digit.

• Thanks 1

Again, re the second photo of 'D12' in J1319:  during the refurbishment of D11 - D15 (the quintet with connecting doors, as per Class 44), during 1967/68, the split headcode panels were replaced by the standard central headcode panel, used on the later Class 46s, as part of the refurbishment, coupled with a repaint into blue livery.

According to www.derbysulzers.com, D12 was still in green livery at the end of both 1968 and 1969, so J1319 can't be D12. I first agreed with brushman47544 that it looks more like D12x but, as detailed on the website, D108 - D137 were all fitted with central headcode panels, with a split between each pair of characters, from new. It's not really possible to get a magnification that makes identification of J1319 any clearer.

Edited by 35A
Correction
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for the comments about the loco which isn't D12.  I've looked at my scan and can't make out the number.

As for the differences at Dent:

The main building has been repainted.  The doors are now cream, as is the downpipe on the right corner.

There is a new fence around the up platform shelter.

The fence  around the station approach is more battered.

The is an extra telephone/electricity pole by the station aproach fence with wires from it to the main station building.

The staion nameboard has been removed from the up platform.

The main building is fenced off on the platform side and mnost of the fence round it at the end nearest the camera has gone.

The foot crossing across the line at the far end of the platform has been removed.

In the first photo the station was still open, the second shows it after it closed (it closed in 1970).  It was reopened in 1986.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, keefer said:

J697 - if it wasn't for the two or three coloured details, you'd think it was actually a black & white photo 🙂

Funnily enough I remember the day very well, Dad and I had never been to Leeds Central so we went in the afternoon on the train from Harrogate.  We knew the station was going to close in 1967 hence the trip.  The photo is accurate in terms of colour, it was an old fashioned extremely dull November day, it felt as though all the colour had been sucked out of the place.  It was so run down there wasn't much colour anyway!.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s an excellent set of photo’s of the Foxfield Railway, at Dilhorne, in 1976 and 1978. In C2901, with Simplex, Helen, in July, 1976, you have captured a great end on shot of the locomotive complete with the Foxfield Railway crest on the bonnet end.

The Leeds photo’s are a superb selection, and despite it being that dull November day in the first photo’, it is still a sight to savour, as the Flying Pig, 43130, makes it’s way past you on the ECS movement.

In C761, with 47, 1961, on the up ‘Thames Clyde Express’, in November, 1971, it can just be seen that the leading vehicle is possibly a bogie Van B. 

The photo’s of the Blyth and Tyne between Winning and North Blyth, are of much interest, with the last photo’ of particular interest, of Cambois, in May, 1981. It appears to be a crane on a converted bogie bolster wagon, with two other wagons, the nearest of which is a four wheel, twin bolster, with girders above the bolster, supporting two ‘drums’. I wonder what it would have been used for? It’s difficult to discern much about the wagon furthest away from the camera unfortunately.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I'm a bit late posting today's fiirst batch, I had to call at the local hospital to collect something before my colonoscopy later this week.  While I was out I took some photos of a small narrow gauge line in Northumberland in the snow.

Quiz question - Where is it?

I am sure Northumberland residents will know the answer, but what about those who are not fortunate enough to live in Northumberland?

The station nameboard has not been obscured as it doesn't really give you much help.

2012638389_sIMG_9267Woodhorn.jpg.5927a39c56f00fe7e15e7bb47577b35c.jpg

1468340071_sIMG_9268Woodhorn.jpg.96343131e20fd7f7b47f4f0f34291046.jpg

1457627888_sIMG_9270Woodhorn.jpg.fba8809b80e51e8dd07751143350855a.jpg

2071622990_sIMG_9273Woodhorn.jpg.9bf0d4037ad0395c196a323c3534ab90.jpg

1263130422_sIMG_9274Woodhorn.jpg.5567683e47fc92dda1bb7227d772face.jpg

David

Having lived in London most of my life, I claim the prize for knowing it is the Heatherslaw Light Railway.

EDIT:- Totally wrong! I now think I have the right answer but I won't make a fool of myself twice in one day!

Edited by Chris116
Got it wrong!
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Lovely photos in the snow.

As usual, we were taken by surprise to find that snow had arrived in the middle of january!

As a resident of south east northumberland I know the location well. I'll give a clue. The name begins with W and and ends with N,

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The obvious answer for anyone from south of Watford is Wolverhampton - not!

I suspect that the W and N start and end the word Woodburn but I can't actually find the name of the railway quoted anywhere.

But I like the arrangements:

A notice on the platform asks you to "ring [number given] for the lakeside train, available 10am to 3.30pm on Wednesday, Saturday or Sunday only (weather permitting)".

Please don't suggest that to the national network.

Jonathan

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most lovely selection of the narrow gauge railway, in Northumberland, in the snow which had fallen - in Beverley, we have had not even a single flake of snow, and none is forecast. I’m not fully sure of the railways location, but since we’ve been given a W and an N to  start and finish the name, I too will go with Woodburn. And the final photo’ is excellent in the way you can see that building with those wind turbines which I’ll guess are not working today with so little wind.

The photo’s of the ECML at Essendine and the Grantham to Nottighman line at Elton and Orston, are an excellent set, and C681, at Essendine, with class 47, 1778, on an up Leeds to London Kings Cross service, in August, 1971, showing a fairly typical express of Mkl stock, is a delightful photo’. The BCK and CK would give second class passengers easy access at King’s Cross when alighting from the train, unlike the more usual when first class only carriages were marshalled at the front of ECML express trains.

The latest Carlisle photo’s are a superb selection, and the first one looking south along the platform, with a class 08 in the distance, on the 12th April, 1988, gives a most excellent sense of scale of the station. Also, the footbridge was looking particularly clean that day. It’s good to see all those Sprinters in all but one of the other photo’s.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

The obvious answer for anyone from south of Watford is Wolverhampton - not!

I suspect that the W and N start and end the word Woodburn but I can't actually find the name of the railway quoted anywhere.

But I like the arrangements:

A notice on the platform asks you to "ring [number given] for the lakeside train, available 10am to 3.30pm on Wednesday, Saturday or Sunday only (weather permitting)".

Please don't suggest that to the national network.

Jonathan

Yes, It's the Woodhorn Narrow Gauge Railway. Sadly, this charming little line has been closed for a few years.

http://www.heritage-railways.com/woodhorn.php

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Alcanman said:

Yes, It's the Woodhorn Narrow Gauge Railway. Sadly, this charming little line has been closed for a few years.

http://www.heritage-railways.com/woodhorn.php

Thanks very much for this post.  I've just added the answer to my original post.  They are of course independant of the Woodhorn Museum so they receive no funding from it.

It's a shame it had to close, it was a pleasnt little railway, and a nice walk to photograph it.

I think that as well as a shortage of money at times there were not always very many volunteers.

I hope that one day they might be able to reopen.

David

• Like 6
  • Agree 1