Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

55 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Some WCML photos now at Brinklow, north of Rugby.

I have to admit that the last two both show the same train, the better quality photo is Dad's.

1868121929_Brinklow_Class81GlasgowtoEustonJan69J1522.jpg.6c31217a7a7f102732aada90b3d7f83e.jpg

Brinklow  Class 81 Glasgow to Euston Jan 69 J1522

940707945_BrinklowClass85EustontoBlackpoolJan69J1523.jpg.06d52d3b87381cd95110b34f3baf9fd0.jpg

Brinklow Class 85 Euston to Blackpool Jan 69 J1523

173293381_BrinklowClass82upparcelsJan69_J1525.jpg.693208fb0f143985d9198c985e845257.jpg

Brinklow Class 82 up parcels Jan 69 J1525

1936646520_BrinklowClass86downexpassJan71C458.jpg.956f7aba2ef4c574e307bc4984d1714d.jpg

Brinklow Class 86 down ex pass Jan 71 C458

890566330_BrinklowClass86downexpassJan71J2497.jpg.19d4e48d4fa7b9135fd036b78ce6e9f6.jpg

Brinklow Class 86 down ex pass Jan 71 J2497

David

Lovely Brinklow shots Dave, smashing stuff. When those were taken I'd have been just a few miles away, probably playing with my Dinky toys on the rug in front of our three bar electric fire!

• Like 1

Dave, I  appreciate having your photos to look at when ever you are able to post. I go to your Flickr page as well from time to time. Thanks for continuing to post.

Others may also remember the Short Belfast's that used to be alongside the railway at Southend airport, abandoned I think.

Martyn

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. Firstly, I have read what you’ve said today about posting all these excellent photo’s, and I too will add that only post what you can, when you can. And thank you for posting all the replacement photo’s too. It alone is, of course, a mammoth undertaking. My mind boggles at the thought of some 19,000 photo’s left to post which have not yet been posted. 

That’s a superb set of photo’s of the Great Eastern line to Southend Victoria. In C3248, at Hawkwell, with 302219, on a Southend Victoria to Liverpool St. service in March, 1977, it can be seen that one of the four roller blinds has gone missing revealing the two electric bulbs.

The WCML photo’s at Brinklow, to the north of Rugby, are full of nostalgia, and interest, with J1525, of a class 82, on an up parcels working in January, 1969, being a cold and icy scene with the water very icy looking. 

The black and white photo’s from around Grantham in the early Fifties are a truly superb selection, with JVol5122, of B12, 61541, on a down passenger train in about 1949, a delightful portrait shot of the engine. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

C1534 Craigendoran Steamer platform looking sad and neglected, very reminiscent of Wemyss Bay with the sweeping platform screen and canopy.

EDIT: Platform was for Craigendoran Pier and now presents a rather depressing view

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/70/642/

View is in the opposite direction to Dave's pic - platform curved from centre of pic round to the left.

Looking towards the Pier in happier, 'Blue Train' days: https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/78/448/

Edited by keefer
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, andytrains said:

Shame to see the old Oban station in that state.

Love the wrap around windows on the 303's, I think they ruined their front appeal when then replaced them.

Andy.

We were loaned a 303 (in electric blue?) For sliding door tests on the LTSR, mainly at Pitsea. Would have been around 1993/4. We had temporary camera's on A frames to see if it was viable as an idea on the long curve.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Lovely Brinklow shots Dave, smashing stuff. When those were taken I'd have been just a few miles away, probably playing with my Dinky toys on the rug in front of our three bar electric fire!

Three bar electric fire?

Tha' wo lucky t'ave that.

We 'ad t' mek do wi' hole where one might o' stood.

As for t' rug, we laid on dead grass...when it wo' dry enough.

Otherwise it wo' t' dogshelf.😁

Edited by JeffP
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fascinating set of photo’s from Scotland of Craigendoran and Oban. In C1355, at Craigendoran, with a class 303, 303081, on a Airdrie to Helensburgh service, in August, 1973, that’s a delightful view of the unit at rest, but displaying the wrong destination. The next photo’ of the same train, C1356, shows the correct destination on the blind of the rear car. 

The five random photo’s are superb, with a sad scene in J127, at East Leake tunnel, with 9F, 92231, on a Marylebone to Nottingham Victoria service, in June, 1964. The GC mainline was, of course, being rundown by then, and two BS’s with a CK in between would certainly not be helping matters. 

The black and white photo’s of Trumpington and Whitemoor marshalling yard, from circa 1948, are once more true gems. In the first photo’ at Trumpington, with LNER, B1, 1092, on an up goods train, you have a most atmospheric view of a steam hauled goods train from the year of Nationalisation. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

On 06/01/2023 at 17:01, mullie said:

Dave, I  appreciate having your photos to look at when ever you are able to post. I go to your Flickr page as well from time to time. Thanks for continuing to post.

Others may also remember the Short Belfast's that used to be alongside the railway at Southend airport, abandoned I think.

Martyn

Martyn,

Going through some  slides my Dad took in November 1963 I spotted this abandoned plane at Southend Airport but this is a Bristol 170 Freighter I believe.

//Simon

Film Dad 50 Nov 63 011.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most excellent set of photo’s of the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway. In J4198, at Haworth, with SJ, WD, 1931, in March, 1975, your Dad has captured a superb three quarter portrait shot of the locomotive. I understand it’s the only WD 2-8-0 left. 

The photo’s of Syston Junction and Sileby are a superb set, with C657, at Syston, with a class 120, on a Birmingham to Cambridge service in July, 1971, it can be seen that the trailer buffet car is in plain blue and not blue and grey. I have not seen many photo’s of a class 120 car in blue, so thank you for posting that photo’.

Thats’s a delightful selection of photo’s of Luzern, in Switzerland. They capture the station perfectly. In the last photo’ of HGe4/4ii, 1951,  on the 13th August, 1988, you have captured a most excellent shot of the locomotive at the bufferstops. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Am I right in remembering that it was at Lucerne that there were separate platforms for the metre gauge which had two systems of overhead electrification, one central and one to the side though both at the same height. The stock for the latter had the pantographs positioned to one side of the roof .The two lines with the different systems met not far from the station. The trackwork was arranged so that the side collection system didn't have to cross the centrally placed catenary? I also remember rather a grand frontage to the station, but can't find my photo.

I believe that since I visited a new underground platform (perhaps more than one) has been built and the side catenary system converted to the standard system.

Please correct me if all that is rubbish.

Jonathan

• Like 1