Dawlish; through the rectangular window.

Re 570T.  Why terminate at Keyham?

Brian.
from dawlish trains there some pictures there with this caption assume 5z52 is 570Tl
It seems that most days the railway manage to find something to interest the Sea Wall viewing club! Todays little show was a pair of DRS Class 57s Nos. 57008 and 57009 powering DRS flask support coaches 9419 and 9428. The train was operated as 5Z52, 07.10 Crewe Gresty Bridge to Keyham (MoD Devonport). One can only assume that over the next few days there will be a loaded flask move from Keyham to Crewe and Sellafield as the high capacity flask wagons are already within the MoD base. The train is seen passing Dawlish. CJM

And here was I thinking it was a passenger train!  Shows how much I am out of touch with BR goings on these days but I couldn't figure out why a passenger train would end up in Keyham!!  It was not in my viewable time schedule anyway but thanks for setting me straight, C.J.

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Live cam now not accessible from link on Dawlish Beach website (It did say it was going subscription only from 1st!)

It gives the error "provider does not exist"

EDIT: Back on again after a few minutes!

EDIT2 Off again, now just get this:

post-6208-0-78015600-1406885405.jpg

Keith

According to their Facebook page, from 1st August 2014, Dawlish Beach will be a subscription only website. It will cost £2 month or £20 a year. It sounds as though they have tried hard to keep it as a free access website, but just cannot get enough sponsorship or advertising to cover the camera's monthly operational costs. As a part of this they say they are changing the video stream provider and it will be streamed at 1080p and they say the quality will be better than it has been. I am not totally sure what that means, however, I gather that it means it will be in full HD.

I think it is a great shame that this feed is now subscription only.

Why does it allegedly costs so much to run?

What happens if you pay for a year but not enough people subscribe to cover their costs?

• RMweb Premium

I think it is a great shame that this feed is now subscription only.

Why does it allegedly costs so much to run?

What happens if you pay for a year but not enough people subscribe to cover their costs?

There are other railcams using the same streaming and they are not subscription so I don't know why this one has to be.

The site had advertising, so It should have covered it's cost IMHO.

Keith

I saw quoted that the web camera cost in excess of £750 a month to operate. That is a considerable sum of money for any individual (apart from a multi-millionaire of course) to fund. As others have said a great shame that it has gone subscription only. Also that is a "bit over the top" for me, who just wants to dip into it now and again, I am afraid!

• RMweb Premium

I saw quoted that the web camera cost in excess of £750 a month to operate.

Bit over the top I think.

Maybe he should have checked around for something more reasonable to suit the situation?

Looking at what's available I could put together an HD + audio package with streaming for considerably less with the camera itself costing from approx £200 (1080p)

Keith

Bit over the top I think.

Maybe he should have checked around for something more reasonable to suit the situation?

Looking at what's available I could put together an HD + audio package with streaming for considerably less with the camera itself costing from approx £200 (1080p)

Keith

Most of the web cams that are free appear to be operated by preserved railways and are used to advertise the site the beach web cam has not got that advantage. However I was hoping that the archive facility would be retained this does not appear to be happening at the moment making the camera not very user freindly

Has anybody on here taken out a subscription?

If so, has anything changed, or is everything it as it was except now behind a paywall?

Cheers

Keith

The cam is in the same place is a clearer picture but does not have a history file so you have to sit in front of the screen and watch live no good for freight that does not keep to a schedule. I hope the history may come back.

The cam is in the same place is a clearer picture but does not have a history file so you have to sit in front of the screen and watch live no good for freight that does not keep to a schedule. I hope the history may come back.

Have just seen record of a trespass incident overnight on twitter so it must be possible to record presumably on to your own computer any one know how to do it

Have just seen record of a trespass incident overnight on twitter so it must be possible to record presumably on to your own computer any one know how to do it

This is from the Dawlish Beach webcam Facebook page, so presumably it's just from their access to the webcam files:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1461420777448902

Walking on the track: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1461423450781968

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What?

The oil rig in the background?

I didn't realise Devon was a oil producing county! :jester:

Keith

its been moved down here for safe keeping just in case the vote goes the wrong way tomorrow.

i hear there is another one on the way as well!

• RMweb Gold

its been moved down here for safe keeping just in case the vote goes the wrong way tomorrow.

i hear there is another one on the way as well!

It's actually the new fracking installation, which will eventually produce fuel oil for trains diverted via the new Exeter - Bude - Penzance link... :jester:

There has been a brief news item on the ITV West Country news saying that a web cam footage appeared to show a steam engine on fire. The Dawlish Beach Cam logo was on the footage. Just a thought and that is are not all steam engines technically on fire when in steam? Thankfully the locomotives operators have said that actually there had not been any incident and that they think it was as a result of a trick of the light with the web camera.. It did look dramatic though!

Archived