Dawlish; through the rectangular window.

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully Tim - we have a summer of Torbays and Weymouths, shared between 5029 and 34046. At the mo support crews are somewhat partisan, so if 5029 is rostered for the trip I won't be in with a shout, whereas on 34046 I will be.

However moves are afoot to pool the crews, which means. I probably won't be able to dodge the Brasso for much longer.

There was a lot of whistling as Braunton passed Powderham Castle; there was a vintage vehicle really and all the traction engines whistled up as the train passed by! :)

One of the steamers at Powderham, that likely joined in the whistling

post-22449-0-53999400-1405406297_thumb.jpg

Lady Sylvia

• RMweb Premium
81C, on 18 Jul 2014 - 09:31, said:

We are talking about railway engines so put your pinny on and back to the kitchen with you. :punish:

And make us all a brew whilst your at it! :jester:

According to their Facebook page, from 1st August 2014, Dawlish Beach will be a subscription only website. It will cost £2 month or £20 a year. It sounds as though they have tried hard to keep it as a free access website, but just cannot get enough sponsorship or advertising to cover the camera's monthly operational costs. As a part of this they say they are changing the video stream provider and it will be streamed at 1080p and they say the quality will be better than it has been. I am not totally sure what that means, however, I gather that it means it will be in full HD.

According to their Facebook page, from 1st August 2014, Dawlish Beach will be a subscription only website. It will cost £2 month or £20 a year. It sounds as though they have tried hard to keep it as a free access website, but just cannot get enough sponsorship or advertising to cover the camera's monthly operational costs. As a part of this they say they are changing the video stream provider and it will be streamed at 1080p and they say the quality will be better than it has been. I am not totally sure what that means, however, I gather that it means it will be in full HD.

Hope that will be enough I will gladly pay for the pictures how will web cam subscribers get on additional subscription?

I don't know how the subscription will work. When I mentioned it a few weeks back on this thread Brianusa pointed out that there is an icon to make donations. The impression I am now getting is that it will cost £2 per month to get access to the webcam live video stream, or £20 for a full year.

I feel mean but that is about a quarter of the cost of my Broadband package and I just cannot justify it, even though I have enjoyed viewing the trains and watching the various sea conditions. Sorry to go off topic but it is a bit like the option of reinstating the LSWR route between Okehampton and Tavistock, in the end it was rejected by Network Rail, as the cost could not be justified, although I would have loved for there to have been a second route available to travel upon. 

It is just such a shame that the Dawlish Beach webcam site seem unable to attract advertising and sponsorship. I guess we live in difficult financial times.

• RMweb Premium

I don't know how the subscription will work. When I mentioned it a few weeks back on this thread Brianusa pointed out that there is an icon to make donations. The impression I am now getting is that it will cost £2 per month to get access to the webcam live video stream, or £20 for a full year.

I feel mean but that is about a quarter of the cost of my Broadband package and I just cannot justify it, even though I have enjoyed viewing the trains and watching the various sea conditions. Sorry to go off topic but it is a bit like the option of reinstating the LSWR route between Okehampton and Tavistock, in the end it was rejected by Network Rail, as the cost could not be justified, although I would have loved for there to have been a second route available to travel upon. 

It is just such a shame that the Dawlish Beach webcam site seem unable to attract advertising and sponsorship. I guess we live in difficult financial times.

It was especially entertaining to watch last night as a thunder storm moved through!

Two Pounds a week or in my case about $3.50, about the same as a latte from Starbucks.  If its easy for me to subscribe, PP, CC, etc, then Two Pounds a week doesn't seem  bad. The only problem in my case is that due to the time difference, I can only get a small window of daylight viewing unless I get up real early!  This will be worse in the winter, but I shall try and support the cause.

Brian.

Two Pounds a week or in my case about $3.50, about the same as a latte from Starbucks.  If its easy for me to subscribe, PP, CC, etc, then Two Pounds a week doesn't seem  bad. The only problem in my case is that due to the time difference, I can only get a small window of daylight viewing unless I get up real early!  This will be worse in the winter, but I shall try and support the cause.

Brian.

I

I thought it was £2 a month or £20 a year if you go on to the live chat history part of website you can (on a PC not on my Ipad) scroll back to the begining of the current streaming and watch from there sometimes i can get back hours but sometimes only minutes if i am unlucky. Also on that section there are historic sections of video again not playable on my Ipad only on windows PC you dont have to use the chat part if you dont want to. I wonder if the problem with the I pad is my connection if anyone is able to watch the history on I pad I would be interested

• RMweb Premium

How's that going to work?

It's one of the featured Railcams on Railcam.org.uk

AFAIK it doesn't say anything there

Keith

EDIT Correction it's not live any more. I hadn't looked on Railcam .org.uk because I normally view it on RMWeb!!!

• RMweb Premium

Just been looking at the so called "beatiful  HD with stereo sound" webcam (soon to be removed) page.

That's definitely not HD, or it's so compressed it's reduce the definition somewhat.

Anybody else agree?

Keith

Just been looking at the so called "beatiful  HD with stereo sound" webcam (soon to be removed) page.

That's definitely not HD, or it's so compressed it's reduce the definition somewhat.

Anybody else agree?

Keith

Picture seems slightly better in the far distance where the line dissapears round the headland. I hope the full version is able to scroll back like the livestream version if it can not it will reduce the value to me of the site considerably not being able to sit contineously in front of the computer

If one clicks on the caption on the all new website, nothing happens so click on Live View HD.  If Flash Player is needed, there is usually a clickable link to download.  It all seems a bit up in the air right now so I should like to see the finished product before investing.  Although I no doubt will!

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

If one clicks on the caption on the all new website, nothing happens so click on Live View HD.  If Flash Player is needed, there is usually a clickable link to download.  It all seems a bit up in the air right now so I should like to see the finished product before investing.  Although I no doubt will!

Brian.

Don't have a problem

Click on the "To visit the new Dawlish Beach webcam click here. This site will be removed soon"

Then click on the "To view this cam in beautiful HD with stereo sound click here" (clicking on the actual word "here"!)

Works fine apart from the fact that I don't think it's true HD. (not compared to my 1920x1080 stuff)

Keith

N.B. I haven't included the hotlinks, do it on the Dawlish Beach page!

Archived