Newcastle Emlyn - Early goods rolling stock

Anotheran

Neil,

Great to see the modelling rolling out again - I love the shed, the brass being thinner than plastic looks a more realistic thickness. Nice touch leaving the door ajar as well. I've built a couple of Ratio 00 clerestory bogie coaches (I stuck a photo in the Lunester Asylum ages ago.) and they look quite good despite being hand painted. The only drawback I've found is the running, I'm going to have to retro fit bearings and metal wheels, as well as add some more weight. Don't forget passengers before you finish - they look silly running into a station empty!

I've started to draw up a model of the small bothy that sat between the coaling stage and ash pits at Hurlford, near the turntable. I'm scaling from a John Stretton clear photo of the gable end with the chimney, and I've got a blurred one of the other gable with the door. I can remember roughly what the single window looked like. I'm using the 'count the bricks' method to get the scale as near as possible, and I'm assuming the side walls to be in the ratio 60:40 which is common in the region. Keeps the interest up as I have been rather unwell lately and it is likely to be after Christmas before I'm mended as well as they can!

Thanks as always for the inspiration my friend,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Jock,

I've put brass bearings in all of my kits, so changing wheels is fairly easy. I'll certainly swap out plastic wheel sets. As for passengers, I agree. To start with though I'll be building the coaches with interiors, but as the roof will be detachable I'll be able to vary passengers to suit the specific period being run.

Glad to hear that you're managing to get a bit of planning for your modelling done and I look forward to hearing about the model itself as your health improves to whatever level it can get to. At least modelling keeps the mind active, even if it's modelling on paper at the moment.

Take care of yourself Jock, and thank you again for your kind words.

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have used Alan Gibson Maunsell wheels, not sure what the correct size is, 14mm?

Just in case anyone is looking at my thread and wants the answer... You're spot on Chris it is the 14mm Mansell wheels that are the correct replacements. An order will be forthcoming from me :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neil, Just had a bit of a catch up again mate, and that RATIO coach does look very nice indeed, well done yet again on another superb job.

Thanks Andy, I've enjoyed building the kits over the last few months. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work again in a few weeks!

• RMweb Gold

At Warley. Just spotted the Alan Gibson stand and have bought my coach wheels!

That's good, they are really helpful, although I asked for lots the last time I was at their stand and then was surprised at how much it cost.

Have a good time at the show.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Neil

Just found this thread as I'm looking for inspiration for a new project and NE is currently top of the list.

Very impressed with your level of research so perhaps you can answer something that's been bugging me.

In the Disused Stations page, scrolling down to the fourth photo of the station it refers to the goods shed on the left

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/n/newcastle_emlyn/index.shtml

There appears to be some track in front of this building set back from the goods loop, and in the seventh photo there seems to be a van on this track. But the goods shed can be seen further down the loop in the seventh photo.

I can't make sense of it, hoping you can help.

Thanks, Graham

• RMweb Gold

Very impressed with your level of research so perhaps you can answer something that's been bugging me.

In the Disused Stations page, scrolling down to the fourth photo of the station it refers to the goods shed on the left. http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/n/newcastle_emlyn/index.shtml There appears to be some track in front of this building set back from the goods loop, and in the seventh photo there seems to be a van on this track. But the goods shed can be seen further down the loop in the seventh photo.

I can't make sense of it, hoping you can help.

Thank you Graham for your comment on the research. I've enjoyed doing it very much... though there's still more for me to find out! Unfortunately building is still some way off. So I look to seeing what you come up with in the meantime :)

However, I can help you in your query...

The building in the fourth photo I would say has been mislabelled as "the goods shed". The 1974 map shows this building, and it is in the goods yard, but I would call it a goods shed as the original was also still there. Here is an annotated clip of that map...

post-13426-0-95493200-1461762484.png

The photo in question was taken from the signal box which was demolished in 1967, so doesn't appear on the 1974 map. But it was at point A. The buffer at the end of the siding to the left of the loco are at point B, which are end on to the end of the cattle dock. The building in question is building C. I don't know when it was built, but clearly after 1906 (when it isn't on the map) and before 1958 when the photo was taken. It already looks fairly old in that photo so I'd guess it was between the wars. The van in the seventh photo (which also shows the signal box far left) is sat in the siding in front of this building at approximately point D. As you state in this photo you can see the goods shed, E, in the background.

Hope that clears up that puzzle for you. Feel free to fire any more at me. I'm by no means an expert, but I have spent some time looking into the station and the line, so may have dug something up of relevance along the way!

Kind regards, Neil

Thank you Neil, that's very helpful.

Looking again at the photo now I realise I'd misinterpreted it. I thought the patch of white was flat ground, but obviously it's the face of a loading platform.

Anyway I've ordered a copy of GWR Journal 37 so hopefully I'll be more informed soon.

Graham

PS just spotted your good news on the other thread, so particular thanks for taking time to answer.

• Like 2

Hi Neil,

I've just stumbled across your delightful thread through a posting elsewhere. What an interesting read so far and I'm up for anything GWR BLT. Newcastle Emlyn is a particular favourite of mine for bedtime reading. I particularly like your kits, especially the small brass ground hut/shed. The detail is superb!

Anyway, as of now you have an extra follower.

Keep the postings coming :)

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've just stumbled across your delightful thread through a posting elsewhere. What an interesting read so far and I'm up for anything GWR BLT. Newcastle Emlyn is a particular favourite of mine for bedtime reading. I particularly like your kits, especially the small brass ground hut/shed. The detail is superb!

Anyway, as of now you have an extra follower.

Keep the postings coming :)

Hi Chris and welcome to NE.

Thank you very much for your kind words. Up to now NE has really only been a bunch of research and planning interspersed with a few kits. I am still planning to move it forward (along with Doxey End, my practice layout) but as I revealed elsewhere my wife and I have recently adopted three children, so modelling time (and indeed space) is now somewhat restricted. However, planning will continue, particularly building plans, and I will be posting them as I go. As you've probably seen, I post it all, whether correct or mistake, as it's then a record for me as much as for others.

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Just did a quick scan back and spotted that the first post on this page was from Jock. He was looking forwards to maybe feeling well enough after Christmas to start on a bothy he'd been researching. So sad that Barlieth Halt was only ever in his mind. But it gave him a drive and direction. He was a great encouragement and help to me in my faltering steps in modelling as well as an inspiration in handling the worst situation in life with dignity and strength of character. Having never even met him he became through his posts one of the people I have felt most privileged to have got to know. And he said that I was an inspiration! And he called me friend. I only hope that I can eventually do his comments justice in my modelling. He will be greatly missed.

• Like 1

Very much enjoyed catching up with this topic.  A smashing and very suitable prototype, particularly interesting in the earlier period. It certainly shows the advantage of proper layout planning (ahem!). Look forward to developments.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris and welcome to NE.

Thank you very much for your kind words. Up to now NE has really only been a bunch of research and planning interspersed with a few kits. I am still planning to move it forward (along with Doxey End, my practice layout) but as I revealed elsewhere my wife and I have recently adopted three children, so modelling time (and indeed space) is now somewhat restricted. However, planning will continue, particularly building plans, and I will be posting them as I go. As you've probably seen, I post it all, whether correct or mistake, as it's then a record for me as much as for others.

Kind regards, Neil

Neil,

It just occurred to me that the Traeth Mawr and Twill Ddu Railway began to be planned over twenty years ago and some stock was built and people painted.  In those days I had neither money or space for the layout although I built one for my eldest. In the end the research I did about the Cambrian meant I built something different, and that little hands are better with 00 than 009.  You already have baseboards and track and working layouts so will be able to make progress towards the finished layouts as time allows.  You might even stir an interest and get help from your children which will make it a different kind of fun.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Very much enjoyed catching up with this topic.  A smashing and very suitable prototype, particularly interesting in the earlier period. It certainly shows the advantage of proper layout planning (ahem!). Look forward to developments.

Thank you very much. It was ChrisN that inspired me into the earlier period initially and his thread then led me to yours. Yours is inspirational for the village from card and paper! While I have done some kits for a few bits and pieces I have quite a few buildings that need to be done from scratch. Even if I gradually replace them with textured plastic surfaces I think my best approach will be to start with card and paper. The finish that you have managed to achieve makes me think that I may not need to then convert them. There are also a couple of cases where I do need two copies (or more) of a building to be able to switch era easily. Though I'll be starting with the earlier time as a result of all of you pre-grouping fanatics ;)

Of course, the stock that I run away from the photos (when I eventually get as far as boards and rails on NE) may contain a substantial amount of anachronisms!

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It just occurred to me that the Traeth Mawr and Twill Ddu Railway began to be planned over twenty years ago and some stock was built and people painted.  In those days I had neither money or space for the layout although I built one for my eldest. In the end the research I did about the Cambrian meant I built something different, and that little hands are better with 00 than 009.  You already have baseboards and track and working layouts so will be able to make progress towards the finished layouts as time allows.  You might even stir an interest and get help from your children which will make it a different kind of fun.

You don't have to be called Chris to follow NE... but you're more likely to be than any other name... With wigancg now following (and chrisbr as well, not to mention possible others with undisclosed names) I need to make sure I don't just address my responses to "Chris" any more!!

Thanks for posting once again on my rather slow to build site. Once more you are very encouraging. If all you had for 20 years was some stock and a few people then I'm positively racing along with NE, let alone on DE! I'm enjoying the continuing building that is occurring on your thread. One correction though... I only have boards, track and some working electrics on DE... NE has none of that and is bigger and even more of a challenge now with the girls now sharing a bedroom in the space that was my model room and the boy in the next biggest all I have now is a small office space, and the stuff for work needs to take precedence in there! It will get done though, only over more time and small bits at a time!

As for the children... I fully intend to indoctrinate stir an interest in them. With all of their moving around in the past they've never even travelled on a train. The eldest is excited to see them though when we walk or drive near the railway. I'll need to take him down to somewhere like the SVR soon though to make sure he understands that these electric box things, even if they are brightly coloured, aren't real trains!

I then anticipate that I'll need to build a very different kind of layout (in addition to NE and DE) in order to appeal more to a six year old than a 47 year old! But to be honest... I quite fancy giving that a go too :)

But keep following as when I get a chance I'll surprise everyone by actually building something!

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 2

Thank you very much. It was ChrisN that inspired me into the earlier period initially and his thread then led me to yours. Yours is inspirational for the village from card and paper! While I have done some kits for a few bits and pieces I have quite a few buildings that need to be done from scratch. Even if I gradually replace them with textured plastic surfaces I think my best approach will be to start with card and paper. The finish that you have managed to achieve makes me think that I may not need to then convert them. There are also a couple of cases where I do need two copies (or more) of a building to be able to switch era easily. Though I'll be starting with the earlier time as a result of all of you pre-grouping fanatics ;)

Of course, the stock that I run away from the photos (when I eventually get as far as boards and rails on NE) may contain a substantial amount of anachronisms!

Kind regards, Neil

I suspect ChrisN is an inspiration to a number of us, and the interest in, and support of, other people's projects is both generous and provides much needed encouragement.

(bet I've made him blush, now).

The great thing about the earlier period is that your layout will look less like everyone else's, but, of course, you should run anything and everything you have on it just as you like!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You don't have to be called Chris to follow NE... but you're more likely to be than any other name... With wigancg now following (and chrisbr as well, not to mention possible others with undisclosed names) I need to make sure I don't just address my responses to "Chris" any more!!

Thanks for posting once again on my rather slow to build site. Once more you are very encouraging. If all you had for 20 years was some stock and a few people then I'm positively racing along with NE, let alone on DE! I'm enjoying the continuing building that is occurring on your thread. One correction though... I only have boards, track and some working electrics on DE... NE has none of that and is bigger and even more of a challenge now with the girls now sharing a bedroom in the space that was my model room and the boy in the next biggest all I have now is a small office space, and the stuff for work needs to take precedence in there! It will get done though, only over more time and small bits at a time!

As for the children... I fully intend to indoctrinate stir an interest in them. With all of their moving around in the past they've never even travelled on a train. The eldest is excited to see them though when we walk or drive near the railway. I'll need to take him down to somewhere like the SVR soon though to make sure he understands that these electric box things, even if they are brightly coloured, aren't real trains!

I then anticipate that I'll need to build a very different kind of layout (in addition to NE and DE) in order to appeal more to a six year old than a 47 year old! But to be honest... I quite fancy giving that a go too :)

But keep following as when I get a chance I'll surprise everyone by actually building something!

Kind regards, Neil

Neil,

I will keep following.  My eldest is into trains, my middle son is not bothered either way but is married to someone who likes trains and model railways, and my youngest has modelled but is into war games like his middle brother, (both excellent modellers and game strategists), but his wife is into model railways.  ("I just love that sound", as the Dean Goods started up.)  So years of taking them to model railway exhibitions, having a railway and endless trips on the Welsh Narrow Gauge railways have worked, sort of.

I have said on my thread I have four locos to run the timetable.  This is ignoring, Thomas and Percy, a Class 91, a class 37 and a Britannia which need fixing.  They of course get run when my grandchildren come around, (with my wife saying things like ,"Put Percy on and have a race."  Such hearsay!  ;) )

Trucks are best for that age.  You can load them up, take the load somewhere, and then take it out.  Open wagons mostly, or vans where the 'lid' comes off. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Planning!

I have been building layouts since I was about 12 nave have never actually finished one though several got to the stage of trains running through cardboard blocks representing buildings.

Sarn was meant to be a quicky built in a year following retirement. The dates on its thread say it all.

Nantcwmdu has been in the planning for at least 15 years with stuff bought before I went abroad but still not all built - including those Rhymney 6-wheelers. To be fair, the original idea was Nelson & Llancaiach but it eventually proved impossible to fit into the garage we had then.

But I have nearly 150 wagons, including a couple of dozen scratch built Rhymney ones.

But I keep getting sidetracked on research. First on the Rhymney (mostly ending up as drawings or articles in Welsh Railways Archive) and now on the Cambrian. Living at Newtown has encouraged this. Sarn is meant to be 1930s but an awful lot of what i have learned is actually about ChrisN's period.

And it has been and is very enjoyable, You are a great bunch and I thoroughly enjoy reading (and sometimes interfering) about your projects, whatever stage they have reached. And thanks to all of you I have learned so much. I just now have to apply it.

So please keep it up, all of you.

Jonathan

• Like 5

But I keep getting sidetracked on research.

A problem I know only so well! 

Every hour's modelling is the result of at least six hours research - which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the knowledge that at least five and a half hours of that research might have been very interesting and informative but will have no relevance whatsoever to anything you are modelling or are ever likely to model.

But am I complaining?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If only I was sidetracked by research... My layout of Llangynog in EM was first exhibited in an incomplete form attached to the late Tony Jackson's Pwyslab at EXPO EM London in 1985 and then again in 1999 at Watford Finescale in a more complete form and it is still unfinished!

I find research absorbing but it does reduce modelling time. I still find this hobby enjoyable and fascinating. I know far less than I know.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Planning!

I see these as very much the same thing. Research is finding out how it worked in the prototype (or would have worked if it's not based on a prototype) and then planning is how it can be made to work in model form. Although I regularly comment on my lack of modelling progress I really enjoy both the planning and the research. They also tend to bring the best conversations on here, so it adds to the sense of community.

Even when I do finally get more into actually making things the research and planning will go on. After all even if I have a working layout and stock and have everything running to a well researched timetable (in one of four or five different decades) I will still need to plan how I am going to choose the random selection of goods that could be shipping in and out that will make the operation more than simply following a script.

And I'll post it all on here :)

• Like 4