Newcastle Emlyn - Early goods rolling stock

Anotheran

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully you'll share with us your painting of these, they look really interesting. The only thing I notice is they appear to be all the same height. But men go from 5ft to 6'6". The detail looks nice though.... :sungum:

I will keep posting. The bad and the good.

They're not quite all the same height but a little more consistent than ideal... but I think the detail more than makes up for that!

• RMweb Gold

They're not quite all the same height but a little more consistent than ideal... but I think the detail more than makes up for that!

He does te same figures in H0 as well so you could have a smaller set.  The detail as you say is amazing although Jim, Aberdare of this parish, told me he had a long conversation with Aiden Campbell who has a wide range of figures and his policy is to do less detail as he says he cannot see very much detail in 4mm at normal viewing distance.  This is true as I usually plan to use his figures in coaches.  ;)

The brilliant thing about the Stadden figures is that because there is so much detail it encourages you to paint them to bring out all the details, although not everyone does.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

6'6" in West Wales? Dad was considered tall at 5'7"...

And anyone over 5'7" had to duck to get through our front and back doors when we first moved in until we changed them.

• Like 4

My family in Wales is extensive, and I know a second cousin hit the 6'6" or did before cancer got him, and his dad a randy old goat was a great uncle of mine who hit the 5'0" nothing - he was a ringer for Cagney.....and was known locally as the Rhondda Ram. I do wonder if his wife was so complacent over his wonderings because the milkman (or A N Other) was rather tall.......... :O

If you want something really different, you could assume that the Carmarthen and Cardigan Railway didn't stop at Llandysul, and got all the way to Cardigan. You could then model NE as a broad gauge through station set in around 1870.

I don't know why people think this is funny! It's on my to-do list of layouts. Probably not NE, but Cardigan, or maybe Henllan to confuse people used to seeing a very narrow gauge railway there. It was No 3 on the list after what I'm building at the moment, and I've finished Small, Broad and Totally Pointless, but may have slipped to No 4.

• RMweb Gold

I don't know why people think this is funny!

Hi John,

I guess that funny for me wasn't quite what I meant to convey, more amusing. The reason for this is that I had considered both a through line and also BG. I decided against the first because I didn't want to lose some of the operational elements of a terminus, and against the second because I simply wouldn't have the time to do it justice meaning I'd probably just give up.

I'd like to see a BG model of a station on the line, so would be very interested to see your future layout.

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 4

It would be cool to see some people in sections covering the same station or line but different eras or aspects. I am sure there are many case here on RMweb. Certainly people with similar interests have flocked together and shared information. I often think that Chris Ns work would be wonderful if borrowed by someone wanting to do a different era. It would also allow people with less time, less money to see their work in different arenas. I wonder if any exhibitors have ever considered doing this, showing other peoples work on their layout for this express purpose. Although 'lenders' would have to understand exhibitors suffer terribly from 'light fingerless' Bits being knocked or lifted. 

Still the idea is interesting. A long exhibition layout could even move on along eras by itself.

• Like 1

Hi John,

I guess that funny for me wasn't quite what I meant to convey, more amusing. The reason for this is that I had considered both a through line and also BG. I decided against the first because I didn't want to lose some of the operational elements of a terminus, and against the second because I simply wouldn't have the time to do it justice meaning I'd probably just give up.

I'd like to see a BG model of a station on the line, so would be very interested to see your future layout.

Kind regards, Neil

What I really want is for someone to model the C&C before me, especially someone with the skills to produce 4mm kits or components for their 4-4-0 tanks, and to do lots of research so I don't have to :jester:.

There's no reason why they couldn't have got to Emlyn, rather than Llandysul, so it could still be a terminus!

• Like 3

A trick I leasrned from Thomas Knapp of the Nn3 Alliance, who has a multi-period Nn3 layout of the Pacific Coast 3ft lines, is to mount all period specific stuff (people, vehicles etc) on wire spikes, and locate them in brass tubes where required. Easy to change, but fixed on the layout when fitted.

Mark A

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A trick I leasrned from Thomas Knapp of the Nn3 Alliance, who has a multi-period Nn3 layout of the Pacific Coast 3ft lines, is to mount all period specific stuff (people, vehicles etc) on wire spikes, and locate them in brass tubes where required. Easy to change, but fixed on the layout when fitted.

I like that idea Mark. Though to start with I think I'll use something like Hobbytac in order to be able to play around with positioning for a while before I commit to brass tube locations.

Of course, with the current state of completion of NE, all I can do is change an icon on the plan for something different :(

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Since Christmas I have done a little more work on my train graph macro. It is still a long way from perfect, but I am happy that it's now fit for purpose as far as my initial use of it is concerned. Here's a shot of the NE branch timetable, and associated chart, for 1911. Although I have the stations from Carmarthen Junction to Pencader shown I am only displaying trains that ran on the NE branch, otherwise the top half of the diagram would be a lot more busy... maybe not Paddington busy, but a lot more than four goods trains and a couple of SO trains.

28590967_150202-Macrodrawn1911timetable.thumb.png.30cb48c347a97848cc6ca782e99151c5.png

The most obvious change that I've made was as a result of Mike (Stationmaster) taking the time to send me a PM to point out something that should have been obvious... but I'd missed it. The Up trains now go up the chart, and the Down trains go down! Thanks Mike!

The other changes are around the way that data needs to be entered in the table. The macro now works out the number of trains and stations itself from named ranges. So there's no longer a need for the summary data table that was previously above the timetable. I've also moved the colour key legend below the timetable, to make sure that the core bit of data entry is limited to the top left part of the sheet.

It still needs two columns per station to allow for arrival and departure times... but so does a real timetable. And it still can't cope with intermediate stations at which the train doesn't stop. So you can see that the Up Goods which shouldn't stop between Carmarthen Junction and Pencader has had false times inserted (in grey and italic) in the timetable just to make sure that I get a continuous line. When I get a chance I'll amend the macro to fill in such gaps in the timetable automatically, formatting them as italic grey and not showing a point on the graph, just the continuous line. But for now I'm happy and will use it to document the movements for each of my target eras on NE.

Edited by Anotheran
Adding back images lost by site change
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

OK, so I may only have eight pages, but I'm already spending time leafing back and forth through them to find a particular entry. So I've kicked off an index on page one that I'll keep up to date. I'm sure it will come more into its own as the thread grows, but I thought I should start it now while it was still relatively easy to do as I've seen the time it took for some of the huge threads I follow to fit an index in later!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Neil,

I have a timetable for my narrow gauge railway, and guess what, I have just reversed the graphs.  :whistle:

Mine is all manual and I wanted to do it so that I could see that the trains crossed at stations that have crossing places.  The stations were numbered so that I plotted numbers against time, so it goes, 1, 2,2, 3,3, 4,4 etc.  The two numbers are because of the arrive and depart times.

This is all fine but you need to do one in proper style with mrn, and aft above the columns so then you can print it out, really tiny, so you can put it on the timetable board on your station.

It looks the business.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Chris,

I don't plan to use these timetables on the model, but as bigger ones for big people to read. The little people will have some that are much more authentic looking :)

As I'm using real timetables for Newcastle Emlyn it is a relief to see that the trains cross at locations with passing places  :ok:  But I'll need to work out a fictitious location for Doxey End and make sure that one works.

Kind regards, Neil

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

A while ago Mike (Stationmaster) told me that on paired points the convention was that A was the one nearest to the signal box. Well, I'd adjusted DE, but hadn't got round to doing NE. He'd also suggested that to distinguish between normal signals and ground signals I could use different coloured lights.

I realised on the way home on the train from London this evening that I could make such changes to my mimic diagrams during the journey. So I amended all of the points labels (only one pair was the right way round). Instead of changing the colours of the lights I've made the surrounds of the signals different. White for post signals (because they are on a white post) and black for ground signals (because their mounts are black). The result of the changes is here, together with the latest plan of the layout. It's easier to see if you click on it to open it out properly.

25566443_L1906-Production12(withmimic).thumb.png.e456392224ecffa9ed23769b67c38be8.png

Looking forwards to Thursday now when I can start spraying some people.

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Almost forgot... again in response to Mike, who has been incredibly helpful around the subject, I increased the resolution on the time axis of the train chart. I've also reduced the data point sizes, so you can get a more accurate idea of the trains now. Because it's an Excel chart I was also able to stretch it. So I now have something that I'd be happy to put up next to the layout to give a context...

551380174_150203-1911widechart.thumb.png.5928ced824c9d07b5c077da21dec8dfa.png

Again, clicking on it make it easier to read. OK... so the colours may be a bit fanciful, but they do help to distinguish the train types. Ah... thinking about colours, I should make sure that the legend is also on the chart!

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

It would be cool to see some people in sections covering the same station or line but different eras or aspects.

Sorry Jaz, I rated your post and intended to reply later... and forgot!

This is a key element that I'm trying to do with Newcastle Emlyn and one of the main reasons that I picked it as the prototype. The buildings and track formation were almost left untouched colour and design wise from the opening of the station in 1895 to the removal of the station building, engine shed, signal box and turntable in the late 1960s. So the concept is that with swappable people, posters, signs and vehicles (and maybe a few specimen trees so that they grow over the years) I should be able to have convincing coverage of the whole 70 years.

If it was ever to get to exhibition standards and got an invite I even like the idea of switching the era during a show, which if everything is ready should only take a few minutes. At the very least I could show it in different eras on different days in multi day shows. But as I don't even have a baseboard for it yet that is some way off!

Right now I'm concentrating on Edwardian people as, like a kid in a sweet shop, I jumped at the ones that ChrisN has shown so well, but I have rolling stock for late 1930s and one loco for 1972 (I'm pretending the buildings and turntable lasted until then). I want to add in some late 1950s or early 1960s as the fourth era of the model... but I've got plenty to go on with at the moment!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The current lineup of Edwardian station staff, rather more than is really needed for Newcastle Emlyn, has been cleaned up of flash and is now ready for undercoat. They've all had their mugshots taken as well so that I can identify them going forwards!

409836702_040207-Lineup.jpg.4a46e90d1e4b709518d7659146c47d34.jpg

I didn't think it would be right to take a side on shot as well... too much like a police lineup.

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Neil,

I will not ask how long that took to set up and photograph.  I only cleaned the worst of the flash off as it is pewter and very little of the mould lines as I found that I was marking the figures too much.  The first set were almost perfect as far as lines were concerned and no flash.

One of the extras is a chauffer by the look of him and one of the seated ladies has a scarf around her hat to stop it blowing off in an open car.  Too late in era for me but the Welsh coast can be quite windy so it is not a problem.

I will use the workman figures as workman.  I had hoped to use the bowler hatted figures, or at last one of them as a driver but the poses are all wrong, however I am sure I can see Daffyd Ellis, or Ellis the Coal, the local coal merchant but I am not sure I can see his employee.  He may be filling sacks with coal.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I will not ask how long that took to set up and photograph.  I only cleaned the worst of the flash off as it is pewter and very little of the mould lines as I found that I was marking the figures too much.  The first set were almost perfect as far as lines were concerned and no flash.

It didn't actually take me that long. I only took three pictures of all of the figures lying on their back, then turned them over and took another three. Then used Paint to copy and paste the front and back into a new image file for each one production line style.

I found that set 6, the workmen were almost perfect with just a couple of tiny bits of flash. I had a bit more to do on set 5, the station workers, as they had quite a bit more flash and some quite distinct moulding lines. Although it is easy to damage pewter the nice thing about it is that it is also easy to get rid of the lines using a scalpel, often with a slight rub with the back of it rather than a cut.

I will use the workman figures as workman.

I agree. I think the one in the bowler hat with both hands on his hips looks very much like some small business owner or foreman watching others do the hard work.

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Following a brief discussion about Guinness on Chris' Traeth Mawr I thought I'd do a Google search for railway beer traffic in Newcastle Emlyn. The top result was...

post-13426-0-19856900-1432404051.png

That last line has to be one of the saddest I've come across in my research!  :cry:

But further down the page it did have a link to the Brewery History Society picture of a stained glass window with the Bass livery at the Ivy Bush in NE. That must have come from Burton by rail :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Following a brief discussion about Guinness on Chris' Traeth Mawr I thought I'd do a Google search for railway beer traffic in Newcastle Emlyn. The top result was...

attachicon.gifno-beer.png

That last line has to be one of the saddest I've come across in my research!  :cry:

But further down the page it did have a link to the Brewery History Society picture of a stained glass window with the Bass livery at the Ivy Bush in NE. That must have come from Burton by rail :)

Neil,

I am not sure if I put this idea on my thread.  Bass was one of the big companies like Worthington.  I know there was a brewer in Romford, which, surprise, surprise brewed beer but after it was taken over, although I am not sure how long after, it became a distribution depot, and then when Worthington folded, a shopping centre.  I would assume that there would have been a more local brewer to NE which Bass swallowed up.  When this happened, who knows although if you are really desperate there are two ways to find out.  1)  Look at the Bass records, or 2) go to NE, do a trawl round the pubs buying old men drinks and ask them.  Of course if there is a branch of CAMRA they might know anyway. 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jonathan,

The main part of Newcastle Emlyn is on the Carmarthenshire side of the river, so while there are quite a few owners of the pubs in the list that live in Newcastle Emlyn, none of the pubs there are listed. However, Adpar, the part of the town that is on the other side of the river, and so in Ceredigion does have four pubs listed. Of those three are free houses (just to be unhelpful!) but one, the Red Cow is tied to the Buckley Brewery. So that gives me a good start!

Thanks again. I'll update here with any further information that I can find. Though this list also gives me a lead that I can look for a similar list for Carmarthenshire.

Kind regards, Neil