A GWR Signal Box for Diesels in the Duchy

• RMweb Gold

Actually, I'd agree with Mike - it looks very much like a comms cabinet - it would be far too low to store tennis balls.  Being on it's own carpet is interesting too, may be to insulate the equipment inside from vibration and noise ?

• RMweb Premium

I can re-scan that bit at higher resolution?

Yes please Tim

Actually, I'd agree with Mike - it looks very much like a comms cabinet - it would be far too low to store tennis balls.  Being on it's own carpet is interesting too, may be to insulate the equipment inside from vibration and noise ?

The carpet made be think it might be a heater of some sort - like a hearth rug.

• RMweb Premium

Very nice Chris.

A shame that two faces will be agains the back-scene ....

Probably a good thing that the rear won't be seen as it's unpainted and is missing a few ground level doors and windows! The right hand side will be seen when you peer through the hole in the backscene to the fiddle.

The main reason that I detailed the model is that, despite being at the back of the layout, you never know where folk are going to point all-seeing digital cameras these days. I've been caught out before by the 'i won't bother modelling that' approach so now work on the assumption that it's safer to work to the same standard across all the buildings. Various close-ups of the pub in the opposite corner have reinforced this approach for me!

• RMweb Premium

Even more awesome - er than before!

Great use of the Queen's English D! Looking on target for a Wednesday evening handover.

Don't fix it down just yet though as there will be a bank of additional levers to add when/if Springside sort out the order. I'd also like to take it down to barnstable for Stu and Muddy bloke to have a look at.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Actually, I'd agree with Mike - it looks very much like a comms cabinet - it would be far too low to store tennis balls. Being on it's own carpet is interesting too, may be to insulate the equipment inside from vibration and noise ?

I prefer your tennis ball theory Stu. They wouldn't be very big in this scale though.

Great use of the Queen's English D! Looking on target for a Wednesday evening handover.

Don't fix it down just yet though as there will be a bank of additional levers to add when/if Springside sort out the order. I'd also like to take it down to barnstable for Stu and Muddy bloke to have a look at.

Oh!

I've identified two 6" rusty nails to secure it. Ones a little bent, but if I hit it in quick I think it will be fine

• RMweb Premium

They are on EBay for 2.5K

PThat is one stunning build Spams: 11/10 mate.

P

Good morning Confused Duckling Pirate Eagle Duck...

I bet the kit that was in the St B one has now shrunk to the size of a mobile phone or has been centralised somewhere. No sign of a similar cabinet in the present-day interior photos.

The main reason that I detailed the model is that, despite being at the back of the layout, you never know where folk are going to point all-seeing digital cameras these days. I've been caught out before by the 'i won't bother modelling that' approach so now work on the assumption that it's safer to work to the same standard across all the buildings. Various close-ups of the pub in the opposite corner have reinforced this approach for me!

There's bound to be someone who will comment that there is no point-rodding! Who's job is it to correct this omission ?? :nono:  :nono:

There's bound to be someone who will comment that there is no point-rodding! Who's job is it to correct this omission ?? :nono:  :nono:

Probably a good thing that the rear won't be seen as it's unpainted and is missing a few ground level doors and windows! The right hand side will be seen when you peer through the hole in the backscene to the fiddle.

I may not fix it down, choosing rather to move it around from time to time.

A little like 'Where's Wally?"......

I think someone should ring the old bill and check out the local scrappies as the local metal thieves 'ave nicked the levers.

The levers, along with the rest of the frame, are quite safe in the care of the Wensleydale Railway.

Edit to add.. Take a good look at the levers. You wont see many like this.

post-4034-0-66553800-1403946864_thumb.jpg

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 3

The levers, along with the rest of the frame, are quite safe in the care of the Wensleydale Railway.

Edit to add.. Take a good look at the levers. You wont see many like this.

attachicon.gifP6110037.JPG

Could somebody please explain to me how a relatively small signal lever could move tons of rodding AND a point !

I ask this out of respect of course, but I've seen rodding leading up to points sever hundred yards from the signal box and just cannot fathom out how !

Cheers.

Allan.

• RMweb Premium

Good morning Confused Duckling Pirate Eagle Duck...

I bet the kit that was in the St B one has now shrunk to the size of a mobile phone or has been centralised somewhere. No sign of a similar cabinet in the present-day interior photos.

Good morning Spams - I was talking about the levers being on EBay; not sure wot u on about mate?

Quackarrrrretc.

Could somebody please explain to me how a relatively small signal lever could move tons of rodding AND a point !

I ask this out of respect of course, but I've seen rodding leading up to points sever hundred yards from the signal box and just cannot fathom out how !

Cheers.

Allan.

The difference between where you pull the lever and where the point rod is attached gives the person doing the work around five or six times the mechanical advantage.

Is the maximum permitted length of rodding still 350 yards as per the 1925 regulations? If so, the old GWR solid rodding would probably weigh a little under 1800kg at that length, but it's not the weight that counts, but the friction at all those, hopefully well greased, rollers, cranks and compensators. Presumably, channel rodding is much lighter?

Nick

Is the maximum permitted length of rodding still 350 yards as per the 1925 regulations? If so, the old GWR solid rodding would probably weigh a little under 1800kg at that length, but it's not the weight that counts, but the friction at all those, hopefully well greased, rollers, cranks and compensators. Presumably, channel rodding is much lighter?

Nick

Joints between cranks and rods are lubricated. Rodding rollers are always lubrication free. They are called frictionless rollers. If you have ever seen someone walk down a rodding run and step on a single 18ft length left in but still on it's rollers you'll know just how frictionless they are. The result is something an acrobat would be proud of.