Ask Dave

DJM Dave

• RMweb Premium

You're planning on releasing the J94 in N, OO and O gauges. Using this model as an example can you please describe the differences in developing a model in different scales.

How does production of a model change as the scale reduces?

Does the assembly of a OO gauge model take less skill than the same model in N?

Is more assembly done by hand in the smaller scales or is there no real difference? (Is any of the assembly process done by machine?)

Given models of the same prototype in each scale what kind of proportions of the RRP make up the R&D, material and production costs? My guess is that the R&D costs of the N and O gauge models are a larger proportion of the RRP as there are few models to spread the costs over. Similarly I'd suggest that the production costs vary little and the smaller scales have slightly smaller raw material costs (but again suffer from lack of ecconomies of scale).

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Hi Steven,

Producing the j94 in OO was relatively easy as it's pretty much a bomb proof design with, what testing seems to prove is a very nice mechanism and motor. Obviously with the 3 gauges you will have different detail due to what you can do moulding and fidelity wise.

For example the N gauge version won't have openly visible inside valve gear, sprung buffers etc, but will benefit from the OO version by having all the OO versions with some 'beefing up' of certain details slightly to allow for handling etc.

But the O gauge will benefit by added detail such as the valve gear, and fidelity in moulding items (such as foot steps) that it's smaller brothers simply cannot have.

Assembly time and effort between OO and N is roughly the same, with both gauges needing different skill sets due to extra care required assembling and testing N gauge.

It's been a great Excercise to be honest and the first time I've done 1 that does 3 ( if you get my meaning)

R+D costs are roughly the same for the N and OO and higher for the O as you decide what can and can't be put on the smaller gauges very early in its development.

Your quite right about economies of scale, and unfortunately I cannot give specifics on actual costs and break downs, although some would raise an eyebrow, and some would make you wince. Lol

Cheers

Dave

Hi everyone,

Please forgive me for being tardy in my replies over the next 8 days as I'm away in about 20 minutes from this posting, as I'm off on holiday.

I'll try and answer mail, but please bear with me if I don't keep up my question - answer rate while I'm away.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave, hope that you have a great holiday!  Thanks for treating our small club so brilliantly in 2012.  Based on how well you treated our exhibition and our members, I've ordered a couple of your first N Gauge models even though they're outside of my usual modelling areas.  Best of Luck with your endeavours and I look forward to receiving these new masterpieces mate!

Hi Dave, hope that you have a great holiday! Thanks for treating our small club so brilliantly in 2012. Based on how well you treated our exhibition and our members, I've ordered a couple of your first N Gauge models even though they're outside of my usual modelling areas. Best of Luck with your endeavours and I look forward to receiving these new masterpieces mate!

Hi Peter,

Many thanks indeed.

Cheers

Dave

In the latest Dapol Club newsletter as being in advanced CAD stage so not dead in the water.

Hi Darren,

Certainly I have been watching the situation regarding this proposed model very carefully, as have others I understand, but we shall have to wait a week or 2 more to know what's happening for sure though ;-)

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Just catching up with this thread,

N gauge LMS Garratt anyone? ;-)

Cheers

Dave

I'd prefer the L&Y pug first, then the garratt ;)  

Hi Phil,

Great questions and my answers would be yes to all 3.

In fact I was luck enough to be given drawings (GA and more detailed ones) of most if not all the rail mounted cranes and steam cranes and I shall look at them in all seriousness in a couple of years time to see if they are financially viable.

Would these, if produced, be in various popular gauges?

Hello Dave,

This is the point at which I display my woeful ignorance, and offer apologies if the answer is already obvious.

My questions are:

What is a coreless motor?

What are the physical and electrical characteristics that set it apart (or even above) other types?

And, why should I want one?

PB

:scratchhead: 

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

A coreless motor is one without poles. ( I'm sure others can answer more clearly than I here), this means that as long as you have a non feedback controller, you should not get cogging ( the slight juddering you get) with motors that have 3 and 5 poles on them, as there aren't any.

They start usually with a lower power input, can get warm, but are generally very reliable, and I know the 6 loco's of Farish that I have with these motors are super smooth.

Hope this helps, if only a bit?

Cheers

Dave

Lol, great question, but one I cannot decide for you.

I'd say that whatever I announce won't be around for 12 months anyway, so you will have plenty of time to get excited or not, when your home.

Go out and enjoy the day, that's what I'm going to do ;-)

Cheers

Dave

Hi Peter,

A coreless motor is one without poles. ( I'm sure others can answer more clearly than I here), this means that as long as you have a non feedback controller, you should not get cogging ( the slight juddering you get) with motors that have 3 and 5 poles on them, as there aren't any.

They start usually with a lower power input, can get warm, but are generally very reliable, and I know the 6 loco's of Farish that I have with these motors are super smooth.

Hope this helps, if only a bit?

Cheers

Dave

Ok I basically agree with that, but I now have a query? Not your problem or even cup of tea I know, but I've heard it quoted that the Heljan B-G is fitted with the "same coreless motor that some of their diesels have". Now this is worrying...I use a homebuilt 1972 design of feedback & pwm controller from a Wireless World design that quite frankly I don't want to upgrade, it gives superb control of even old Trang locos. And the Heljan locos too. Yet coreless motors and this type of controller are  supposed to be a no-no. Can you comment Dave, as this is putting me off your locos at the moment.

Stewart

Ok I basically agree with that, but I now have a query? Not your problem or even cup of tea I know, but I've heard it quoted that the Heljan B-G is fitted with the "same coreless motor that some of their diesels have". Now this is worrying...I use a homebuilt 1972 design of feedback & pwm controller from a Wireless World design that quite frankly I don't want to upgrade, it gives superb control of even old Trang locos. And the Heljan locos too. Yet coreless motors and this type of controller are supposed to be a no-no. Can you comment Dave, as this is putting me off your locos at the moment.

Stewart

Hi Stewart,

Thanks for the mail.

Unfortunately, rather like VHS over Betamax, Coreless motors are here to stay and I can only see more opportunities for both myself and other manufacturers to use them. (Despite Betamax giving better performance).

Feedback is not recommended with this type of motor as it can damage them.

The problem I can see happening is when the tipping point comes along and more new models are made with coreless than without.

This then means that decisions have to be made by modellers, that not might be, depending on their controller investment, financially palatable :-(

Regards

Dave

Hi Stewart,

Thanks for the mail.

Unfortunately, rather like VHS over Betamax, Coreless motors are here to stay and I can only see more opportunities for both myself and other manufacturers to use them. (Despite Betamax giving better performance).

Feedback is not recommended with this type of motor as it can damage them.

The problem I can see happening is when the tipping point comes along and more new models are made with coreless than without.

This then means that decisions have to be made by modellers, that might be, depending on their controller investment, be financially palatable :-(

Regards

Dave

Looks like you might be poles apart....?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

As some retailers are already showing prices for your models, will you soon be doing the same for items you supply direct? I've already 'expressed an interest' on your site.