RMweb

Ask Dave

DJM Dave

• RMweb Premium

Dave must be away, as nothing spares-wise has appeared......

*sits back and waits*

I believe he commutes between the local hostelry and a factory in China ;)

In other news one of his major customers was in China very recently so there might have been a gathering of the clans there.

• Like 1

A while ago I saw Hornby were going to do a class 71, I kinda like electric locos so I thought I might get one when they were available.

Recently I discovered DJ Models. They are also doing a class 71

Thought about it for a week, went to Kernow Model Rail Centre & paid for one.

From what I’ve seen so far I think I made the right choice

A couple questions for Dave.

When do you estimate it will be ready?

Any chance of seeing a naked Class 71, I am interested in the type of drive.

I am hoping it will be all wheel drive (motor with fly wheels in the centre of the body & drive shafts to each bogie) & all wheel pick up & no traction tyres.

John

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

As someone who has their name down on your website for a pair of Claytons I hope you may be able to look at this suggestion....

I have never really understood why it has to be a choice between the NEM pocket for a coupling OR the mini-snowploughs with the accessories supplied with N gauge locos. I have now managed to bodge several of my locos to have both - usually by cutting up the supplied snow-plows and then fixing the two large outer plows either side of the NEM pocket with superglue, wire and bits of spare plastic.

Here is a Farish cl 24 bogie I have been working on this evening for an example of what I mean.

post-16405-0-44376600-1458421965_thumb.jpg

Would it not be possible to manufacture a combined NEM pocket/ snow-plow assembly i.e. an NEM pocket with the outer plows either side allowing the best of both worlds? I would understand that there may need to be some changes to the dimensions of the plow to make this work, and you'd have to choose either yellow plows with a yellow NEM pocket or black plows with a black NEM pocket, but these seem better choices than simply one or the other.

I would imagine I'm not the only one who is modifying their locos in this manner, but I would imagine scores more people who would like to fit the plows don't because they would rather have a working coupling at each end.

Cheers

David

Edit - I want to use "plough" not plow, but my american computer doesn't like it!

Edited by David41283

I believe he commutes between the local hostelry and a factory in China ;)

In other news one of his major customers was in China very recently so there might have been a gathering of the clans there.

Ah well, in that case he may be gone for some time!

• 3 weeks later...

A while ago I saw Hornby were going to do a class 71, I kinda like electric locos so I thought I might get one when they were available.

Recently I discovered DJ Models. They are also doing a class 71

Thought about it for a week, went to Kernow Model Rail Centre & paid for one.

From what I’ve seen so far I think I made the right choice

A couple questions for Dave.

When do you estimate it will be ready?

Any chance of seeing a naked Class 71, I am interested in the type of drive.

I am hoping it will be all wheel drive (motor with fly wheels in the centre of the body & drive shafts to each bogie) & all wheel pick up & no traction tyres.

John

Hi John,

Sorry for the late reply, and i have no excuses. apologies.

to answer your questions, i have to be slightly evasive as this model will have competition within the market place.

So to answer your first question..(a bit)..... not long now.

As for the rest, once i'm at the final hurdle, i dont see a problem, and i think that your idea of chassis specification will be very closely aligned with mine.

cheers

Dave

• Like 2

Hi Dave,

As someone who has their name down on your website for a pair of Claytons I hope you may be able to look at this suggestion....

I have never really understood why it has to be a choice between the NEM pocket for a coupling OR the mini-snowploughs with the accessories supplied with N gauge locos. I have now managed to bodge several of my locos to have both - usually by cutting up the supplied snow-plows and then fixing the two large outer plows either side of the NEM pocket with superglue, wire and bits of spare plastic.

Here is a Farish cl 24 bogie I have been working on this evening for an example of what I mean.

attachicon.gifBogie1.jpg

Would it not be possible to manufacture a combined NEM pocket/ snow-plow assembly i.e. an NEM pocket with the outer plows either side allowing the best of both worlds? I would understand that there may need to be some changes to the dimensions of the plow to make this work, and you'd have to choose either yellow plows with a yellow NEM pocket or black plows with a black NEM pocket, but these seem better choices than simply one or the other.

I would imagine I'm not the only one who is modifying their locos in this manner, but I would imagine scores more people who would like to fit the plows don't because they would rather have a working coupling at each end.

Cheers

David

Edit - I want to use "plough" not plow, but my american computer doesn't like it!

Hi David,

It's not a bad idea to be honest, but i wonder how many i would actually sell? This would be the main criteria for producing it. I wish i was rich enough to just say 'yes lets do it' but i have to have my non romantic head on i'm afraid.

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

I appreciate there is probably no definitive answer to this at present but... When the 0 Gauge version of the J94/Austerity tank does come to market, will there be any consideration of whether you will produce industrial prototypes as well as the already listed BR versions? Or would that depend on initial sales and/or retailer commissions (as with the 4mm version)?

I understand that this model is probably still some way in the future and you might not have even thought much about it at all after the initial announcement, so if there is no answer at present, I perfectly understand!

Cheers,

David

Hi David,

Thanks for the mail.

I'll produce as many variants as is required by the market in whatever liveries or colours of the rainbow required.

Not had any inquiries about the O gauge version in any livery or colour yet, but i expect that to change once tooling begins.

I recently started to play with this O gauge loco cad/cam again with a view to adding 2 more speakers within the body to give true depth of sound. I'm getting there, but its taking a little time as i'm moving things around internally and still need to keep the balance 'just so'.

cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Dave must be away, as nothing spares-wise has appeared......

*sits back and waits*

Hi,

O2 spares....... what a pain this has proved to be.

Let me explain......i ordered enough spares to almost last a lifetime if the Beattie spares are anything to go by. They got a production slot, and were due for elivery with the final batch of O2's.

They missed production for some reason, but i was then promised some with the last delivery of Beattie well tanks, so i was hopeful.

Then when the Beatties were delivered they did actually deliver spares........... for about 6  x O2's and only boiler, cab and a couple of other bits, and not the full sets i wanted.

so they are currently manufacturing a complete set of 'sets' of O2 spares.

Sorry but this delay was and is completely beyond my control. As soon as they arrive i'll post here and on my web site.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Would you consider doing some track plant, I believe this is a very poorly covered area which all other manufactures do not think of interest and it is about time we got some decent OO gauge plant models

Hi,

Yes i would. and i'm saying no more.  :locomotive:

cheers

Dave

• Like 2

Hi John,

Sorry for the late reply, and i have no excuses. apologies.

to answer your questions, i have to be slightly evasive as this model will have competition within the market place.

So to answer your first question..(a bit)..... not long now.

As for the rest, once i'm at the final hurdle, i dont see a problem, and i think that your idea of chassis specification will be very closely aligned with mine.

cheers

Dave

Dave

Apologies accepted , your answers put a big smile on my face.

About 80% of my collection is US prototype and almost all of them have the drive,chassis specification I described. Each loco can usually pull 20+ box cars.

I believe this is the best type or chassis.

One more possibly stupid question that I should have asked earlier, what is the acronym EP as in EP1 (tooling) .

Don't get me started on how much I dislike TLA's

As for TLA's I thought it was good practice to spell out the TLA the first time it was used Opps sorry  I'll start again

As for TLA's (three letter acronym) I thought it was good practice to spell out the TLA the first time it was used

John

EP1 is the Engineering Prototype number 1.

UsuallyEP1, EP2, decorated samples, then release is the usual course of events but as with everything, stuff happens to disrupt this.

Hope this helps

Alistair

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

attachicon.gifBogie1.jpg

Cheers

David

Hello Dave,

as I have also a set of a powered and one dummy of your Claytons on preorder, I'm also interested in a combined Snowplow/NEM pocket.

Markus

Hi Dave,

Just wondering whether you have an estimated timescale for when the Hudswell 0-6-0 in OO will be ready? I'm presuming it won't be by the end of this year in light of everything else you've got coming through; is it likely to be early-2017 or further on than that?

The reason I ask is that if it's going to be more like late-2017 or even 2018 I may treat myself to something else Leeds-built from your range in the mean time, because I'll have plenty of time to save up for the HC afterwards...

Cheers!

Edited by alexl102

Hi David,

It's not a bad idea to be honest, but i wonder how many i would actually sell? This would be the main criteria for producing it. I wish i was rich enough to just say 'yes lets do it' but i have to have my non romantic head on i'm afraid.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I hadn't ever imagined that they'd be produced as a stand alone item for sale -  I agree you probably wouldn't sell many. I would have proposed that they could replace the snowploughs provided as an accessory with a loco. You could get 2 of these NEM ploughs and 1 full set of ploughs with a loco.

Cheers and best wishes for the forthcoming models.

David

Hi David,

Thanks for the mail.

I'll produce as many variants as is required by the market in whatever liveries or colours of the rainbow required.

Not had any inquiries about the O gauge version in any livery or colour yet, but i expect that to change once tooling begins.

I recently started to play with this O gauge loco cad/cam again with a view to adding 2 more speakers within the body to give true depth of sound. I'm getting there, but its taking a little time as i'm moving things around internally and still need to keep the balance 'just so'.

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your very useful and encouraging response (particularly when I know you are so busy!). It is great to hear that progress is being made :yes:  although completely understand that we are talking long-term timescales as you wait for other projects to get off the ground and provide funding for later models. 

Personally, I am incredibly excited by this and it is THE ONE more than any other, announced by any any manufacturer in the last few years that I most eagerly await. In fact it is your J94 which has made me finally commit to moving to 0 Gauge and I have now traded-in and started to trade-up to play with the big lad's toys. My pennies await but I know I have to be a patient!!  8)

I look forward to hearing about the next update.

Cheers,

David

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave

Do you have an update on the production and delivery timescale for the main range 'oo' gauge J94. The last update on RMWeb and on the DJ Models website were in November last year and you anticipated production to take place before the Chinese New Year with delivery to the UK in March 2016. That doesn't seem to have happened, so is there an update. The DJ Models website timeline chart was last updated in November last year, and is out of date for the J94 and the Class 71 as we've seen further stages on this site than is shown on that chart.

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

In the RMWeb discussion on the Heljan GWR 1361-class 0-6-0T yoiu referred readers to the thread under  DJ Models to discuss the Kernow/DJ Models 1361 class rather than discuss it on theHeljan forum.

Faire enough.

But I can't find it ???