Ask Dave

DJM Dave

And the O gauge 23 please

Dave has recently update his website... http://djmodels.co.uk/?page_id=422

Looks like the Baby Deltic has advanced to CAD. I'm saving my pennies for the J94/Austerity so I'm pleased about the similar progress! I think Dave has always been clear that the 7mm models will follow the rest when funds allow.

I think when there is news he will divulge....

Using this link will answer all the general "work in progress" questions in one click:-

http://djmodels.co.uk/?page_id=422

Yep, provides all the answers in a nicely coloured table ;) Best port of call for updates. I'd view the fact that Dave is willing to post on here as an added bonus, beyond the call of duty, and an example of top class customer service.

Hi Dave.

A general question (or series of questions) about the model railway business, if you don't mind.

With a slowly shrinking pool of locomotive classes that have never been produced as ready-to-run models what approach do you think manufacturers will take in planning newly tooled items? Will we see more obscure types of loco modelled as manufacturers search for something new to announce? Or will we see a cycle of updated models with enhanced features (better detail, better mechanisms, more DCC features, etc)?

• Like 1

Hi John,

Great question and one I cover quite often during presentations I give around the country.

The pieces of pie are getting smaller, meaning that we are all looking for something that will sell enough to cover costs and make profit.

That's not an easy thing to do nowadays.

Bachmann, have wisely decided that by going for 3rd rail and pantograph models that they can perhaps ignite that previously ignored sector of the market. 10 years ago we wouldn't have considered either as mainstream models based of empirical evidence from manufacturers. However, I suppose if you throw money at a project and keep at it, you can ignite interest and subsequently sales.

This leaves interesting times in that there are a limited amount of loco's and perhaps profitable EMU's, so you look elsewhere........009? O? Underground? Or if your particularly bullish, a competitors loco........western, 24, 71, 86, 87, 90 etc.

Looking at a competitors range and analyzing the model correctly, will let you understand if there is a market to through 120K plus at an upgraded clone of an existing model.

If a range is getting old, and a company lives on the fact that the tooling is long paid for, and charges customers big bucks for a loco, is, in the short term fine, but plane have to be in place for said company to upgrade and / or renew that model.

So really anything is game and nothing is really safe anymore. And I still maintain that the number of companies in UK model railways will shrink, although quite when I can't put a date on.

The market is finite, redevelopment is finite, choice of new models is finite, choice of old models to redevelop before the competition does is finite................ It's just a matter of time.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

Great question and one I cover quite often during presentations I give around the country.

The pieces of pie are getting smaller, meaning that we are all looking for something that will sell enough to cover costs and make profit.

That's not an easy thing to do nowadays.

Bachmann, have wisely decided that by going for 3rd rail and pantograph models that they can perhaps ignite that previously ignored sector of the market. 10 years ago we wouldn't have considered either as mainstream models based of empirical evidence from manufacturers. However, I suppose if you throw money at a project and keep at it, you can ignite interest and subsequently sales.

This leaves interesting times in that there are a limited amount of loco's and perhaps profitable EMU's, so you look elsewhere........009? O? Underground? Or if your particularly bullish, a competitors loco........western, 24, 71, 86, 87, 90 etc.

Looking at a competitors range and analyzing the model correctly, will let you understand if there is a market to through 120K plus at an upgraded clone of an existing model.

If a range is getting old, and a company lives on the fact that the tooling is long paid for, and charges customers big bucks for a loco, is, in the short term fine, but plane have to be in place for said company to upgrade and / or renew that model.

So really anything is game and nothing is really safe anymore. And I still maintain that the number of companies in UK model railways will shrink, although quite when I can't put a date on.

The market is finite, redevelopment is finite, choice of new models is finite, choice of old models to redevelop before the competition does is finite................ It's just a matter of time.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave

Industrials.... (Hornbys peckett seems to be selling well in advance orders)...

Colourful, psychologically right priced, always room for a couple, crosses several time periods, well represented in preservation, largest gap in the market when it comes to selection / availability, less risky in an uncertain economy..(they are smaller / cheaper than a tender loco).

Maybe a comparison of BR vs non-BR sales of J94s might be an indicator ?

The obvious one to my mind is an 0-4-0 Andrew Barclay (and a crane tank version of it being really adventurous).

Edited by adb968008

Choice of new models finite? Of course it is, though there are still quite a few diesels and electrics to be done, not to mention sub-classes. On the other hand, BR inherited 448 different classes of locomotive and there are hordes of classes which did not survive into BR days. A chap from Bachmann told me that the reception of the Wainwright C made them think, “Hello!”

Finite, yes, but if I were a youth (if only) there would be enough to last my lifetime.

• 1 month later...

Have you ever thought about producing carriages or wagons?

I seem to recall Dave saying that wagons were not economical to produce some time ago, but has announced a few? (In N?).

However, what about one or two GWR coaches eg 'Toplights' - any would do, especially if you could work out a way to produce alternative body side mouldings for each ie 'original' GWR condition, and later, when they had been altered!. Lots of posts on RMWeb suggest people would buy these - and if you think that these wouldn't sell just look at the success of the Hornby Colletts, and I don't think a reasonable price would be a problem- look at the price of the Hawksworth Autocoach.....(which incidentally was not all that much more than the price of the Hornby Colletts).......

• RMweb Gold

If coaches are going to be made, I would suggest Bulleid suburban coaches. There are only two outlines, with maybe some means of changing the front end of one of the coaches.

Add a motor bogie or two and you have a 4SUB and possibly a 4EPB.

• Like 2

If coaches are going to be made, I would suggest Bulleid suburban coaches. There are only two outlines, with maybe some means of changing the front end of one of the coaches.

But wouldn't they be green....?

(Only joking!)

• RMweb Gold

So other than EMUs (which is what I really think you mean / want)  what Bullied suburban coaches would those be then? As other than the EMUs you hinted at, Bulleid only produced main line coaches (even the initial multi door coaches he produced were main line coaching stock).

I agree with sp1 that Toplights would probably prove very popular and could be done in at least 4 liveries (1912 lake, 1922 choc cream fully lined, 1927 simplified, 1934 shirt button with little modification to the body tooling (I think ww2 onwards sees an increasing use of patched repairs).

However, it has occurred to me that brake composites - of any company (but pre grouping would suit me best and they did last a long time cascading into branch use) might be the best way to test the water as these were the staple of inter-company through workings. I did some digging into the North and West route and found that Caledonian, Midland, WCJS, and possibly NER, as well as L &Y were working through to destinations in the West Country, and GW vice versa giving lots of opportunities to model foreign coaching stock irrespective of the main modelling interest.

Drduncan

I seem to recall Dave saying that wagons were not economical to produce some time ago, but has announced a few? (In N?).

However, what about one or two GWR coaches eg 'Toplights' - any would do, especially if you could work out a way to produce alternative body side mouldings for each ie 'original' GWR condition, and later, when they had been altered!. Lots of posts on RMWeb suggest people would buy these - and if you think that these wouldn't sell just look at the success of the Hornby Colletts, and I don't think a reasonable price would be a problem- look at the price of the Hawksworth Autocoach.....(which incidentally was not all that much more than the price of the Hornby Colletts).......

Whether or not wagons and coaches are economical to produce, from the receiving end a decent train of them is more expensive than a locomotive. I might or might not buy more than one of Hornby’s H but sure as shootin’ I’ll be buying three of Bachmann’s Birdcages. Possibly half a dozen.

• Like 1

So with the Well Tanks and O2s old news, and J94s flying off the shelves, is there any progress on the 17, 23, Hudswell Clarke or any of the N and O stuff ? You mentioned way back when that these were dependant on the J94s selling to generate funding.

Hi Wheatley,

Just come to the end of the 30 days credit to stockists so i expect things to start moving a bit now.

Then don't forget i've got 4 more J94's to come out too soon.

The 17 will be first up, and depending on other things, the 23 might be right behind it rather than a few months delay.

I'll be doing more shows next year as things really start to pop, not necessarily as a trader, more for P.R. as i'm quite against the idea of selling items that stockists should have, and anyway apart form if i ever did NQP's i'd never undercut the stockists as they are my life blood (as are the end customer obviously).

I should think that the next 6 months should see some very interesting things happen (cannot say yet).

Then after the 71, 17, J94, 23 and some special commissions plus the 92 in both gauges, i'll clear some more of the back log, and then i quite fancy something 'longer' so a train is in my 'train of thoughts' (sorry). 

I'm currently working on a 2017 product brochure which will be a PDF free to download around Christmas or New Years eve 2016, that will show all i think i shall get to market, new liveries, numbers, items, etc.

I'll also be working on the DJM product library on my website cataloging release models for DJM and commissions, catalog numbers, release dates and pictures so we all have an ongoing library of what and when.

Other than that and a trip to China again for the 71 chassis in a few weeks and again in January, i've not got a lot on  :onthequiet: Sorry you asked now huh? lol  :locomotive:

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1