Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

"I spent a considerable amount of time trying to find a heritage railway site that would accept HSFV1 as an exhibit without success, and eventually the ERM at Coventry said they'd be happy to take her, and I forked out a considerable sum of money to get her moved to Coventry from Derby,where she remains to this day. Unfortunately we've had little chance to do much further work on her since then, money, time and ability being lacking but we have managed a small amount there.

I'm not sure that the NRM is all that interested in rail vehicles that didn't actually run in revenue service. Neither E-Train nor HSFV1 fall into that category of course and are treated a bit as the 'great unwashed'. Quite what can be done about that is difficult to see, but a change in attitude would be very welcome. "

You need to meet our Head Curator, I met him on the train this morning and  he was reading Hugh Williams' book. He's also very interested in HSFV1. Research is becoming a big story. Let's get you two together, he was asking questions today I couldn't answer!

Edited by Sir Hadyn

Gentlemen and especially MR TILT!

It is with great sadness that I have to report that the signal (SN91) that probably signalled (I believe) the start of the successful 152.3mph World record run of the APT-E on 10 August 1975 from the up loop at Uffington in Oxfordshire, has been removed from its location and laid to rest.  It is believed to have been removed this weekend just gone, probably 24 April 2016, when other signals had been removed in the area as part of the GWML Electrification programme.  Release from the loop after refuelling of the APT-E in Uffington loop would also have been under the control of the signal.

Active service started on 30 May 1965 and lasted until removal of the up-loop connections in December 1994.  The signal was unusual in that the 3-aspect frontage was supported on a mini-bracket of its own.  The loops served many trains, later to be effectively replaced by longer loops between Challow and Wantage Road.

A small but significant piece of British railway infrastructure has now been consigned to the history books.

Fortunately, in recent weeks, the poor little signal had been seen in brighter times (3 April 2016)...  :)

RIP SN91,

Ixion.

I really must get out more  :crazy:

post-6532-0-60543800-1461619433_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

It's a very different place to even two-three years ago

I hope things can move forward, I really do as the star exhibit in the period before yours was the gravy train.

I does however take time to shake off a reputation, the British car industry never recovered from a square steering wheel but people still buy the daily mirror after a rogue free style diver!

• RMweb Gold

[quote name="Sir Hadyn" post="2285623" timestamp="1461620664"

I'm not sure that the NRM is all that interested in rail vehicles that didn't actually run in revenue service. Neither E-Train nor HSFV1 fall into that category of course and are treated a bit as the 'great unwashed'. Quite what can be done about that is difficult to see, but a change in attitude would be very welcome. "

You need to meet our Head Curator, I met him on the train this morning and he was reading Hugh Williams' book. He's also very interested in HSFV1. Research is becoming a big story. Let's get you two together, he was asking questions today I couldn't answer!

I don't think there have been many tickets sold for the royal train. Maybe they could be arranged to show how Vic berry operated?

Edited by russ p

All the debate about the NRM made me have a look at the NRM`s website Quite interesting what it says about the APT-E now residing at shildon

APT-E

(Advanced Passenger Train)

Collection Building
Paving the way for high speed rail travel in the UK as we know it today, the APT-E was an experimental tilting train developed by British Rail during the 1970's and early 1980's. Powered by gas turbines, the APT-E achieved a new British railway speed record when on 1975 it hit 152.3 mph (245 km/h). After several delays, funding its entry into service became increasingly difficult and the project was eventually moth-balled.

Unless I've entirely missed the boat and correct me if i`m wrong Kit but was the APT-E ever going to enter revenue earning service as that's what the blurb above states

Edited by tgvfan

Paul, Kit & team are going great guns with APT-E (and we haven't forgotten HSFV1 Kit, you need to meet my boss!)

Erm, do we know each other already? And do I know your boss already perhaps?

I'll PM you on this right away.

All the debate about the NRM made me have a look at the NRM`s website Quite interesting what it says about the APT-E now residing at shildon

APT-E

(Advanced Passenger Train)

Collection Building

Paving the way for high speed rail travel in the UK as we know it today, the APT-E was an experimental tilting train developed by British Rail during the 1970's and early 1980's. Powered by gas turbines, the APT-E achieved a new British railway speed record when on 1975 it hit 152.3 mph (245 km/h). After several delays, funding its entry into service became increasingly difficult and the project was eventually moth-balled.

Unless I've entirely missed the boat and correct me if i`m wrong Kit but was the APT-E ever going to enter revenue earning service as that's what the blurb above states

<sigh> I've lost count of the number of times we've corrected various references like that, but they keep on coming. 

People just can't seem to grasp the essential differences between the two different APTs, or even that there WERE two different trains.

• Like 2

Gentlemen and especially MR TILT!

It is with great sadness that I have to report that the signal (SN91) that probably signalled (I believe) the start of the successful 152.3mph World record run of the APT-E on 10 August 1975 from the up loop at Uffington in Oxfordshire, has been removed from its location and laid to rest.  It is believed to have been removed this weekend just gone, probably 24 April 2016, when other signals had been removed in the area as part of the GWML Electrification programme.  Release from the loop after refuelling of the APT-E in Uffington loop would also have been under the control of the signal.

Active service started on 30 May 1965 and lasted until removal of the up-loop connections in December 1994.  The signal was unusual in that the 3-aspect frontage was supported on a mini-bracket of its own.  The loops served many trains, later to be effectively replaced by longer loops between Challow and Wantage Road.

A small but significant piece of British railway infrastructure has now been consigned to the history books.

Fortunately, in recent weeks, the poor little signal had been seen in brighter times (3 April 2016)...  :)

RIP SN91,

Ixion.

Presumably that was as a result of the 25kV electrification that's taking place along the WR mainline?

Last year I'd intended to have a small re-union of interested parties at Uffington Loop on August 10th to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the speed record, but no-one at Network Rail responded, more's the pity. Access to the site is almost impossible these days as there's a hefty locked gate across the end of the access road, and only the NR people can get in.

I did have an interesting chat with the guy who lives in the house that's almost under the bridge, and he and his wife clearly remember the events in August 1975. He was amazed that I was actually working on the train at that time.  :D

• Like 3

That's correct - the GWML Electrification programme is progressing (if a little behind to say the least!).

All the older signals were switched off last year, I think.  Oddly, SN91 remained guarding a non-existent piece of track, switched off for around 20 years - as did another single post guarding the also non-existent down loop exit too!

The new signals are mostly in place between Didcot and Swindon, looking very plastic-like.  Some bridges have already been replaced and some yet to do.  Recently, the masts have been raised up in some areas, especially Wantage Road but pleased to say, Uffington is free from them for the time being...though post base reinforcements are already in place.

Cheers,

Ixion.

Edit: To keep closer to topic - I wonder if someone will do a diorama of the APT-E, preparing to leave the loop with an excellent chance to model the wonderful road bridge that used to cross the line at Uffington?  Ah, those were the days!

Edited by 97403_Ixion

May I just remind members that this thread is with respect to the Rapido APT-e (which I almost like, or possibly think is ghastly depending on how my diodes are playing up, as its also shiny and blue) and please could we return to this topic rather than the more recent digressions for which you are more then welcome to start a relevant new thread. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

It is with great sadness that I have to report that the signal (SN91) that probably signalled (I believe) the start of the successful 152.3mph World record run of the APT-E on 10 August 1975 from the up loop at Uffington in Oxfordshire, has been removed from its location and laid to rest.  It is believed to have been removed this weekend just gone, probably 24 April 2016.....

RIP SN91,

Ixion.

Another item for Sir Hadyn to display at Shildon.

• RMweb Gold

Paul Leadley and I became aware that HSFV1, the original test vehicle that Prof. Alan Wickens used for his vital wheel/rail dynamics work, still existed under Serco's ownership in 2009, and we lobbied them to suggest that it really should be preserved, to which they agreed. We suggested to the NRM that the perfect place to display HSV1 would be in front of E-Train at Shildon, where there was available space, but the NRM weren't interested in the vehicle at all! I've suggested in the past that HSFV1 is the 'Stephenson's Rocket' of the modern age, without it many of the world's railways would not be running as fast as they are now, but there was no wish to preserve it on the NRM's part.

I spent a considerable amount of time trying to find a heritage railway site that would accept HSFV1 as an exhibit without success, and eventually the ERM at Coventry said they'd be happy to take her, and I forked out a considerable sum of money to get her moved to Coventry from Derby,where she remains to this day. Unfortunately we've had little chance to do much further work on her since then, money, time and ability being lacking but we have managed a small amount there.

I'm not sure that the NRM is all that interested in rail vehicles that didn't actually run in revenue service. Neither E-Train nor HSFV1 fall into that category of course and are treated a bit as the 'great unwashed'. Quite what can be done about that is difficult to see, but a change in attitude would be very welcome. 

When I started my Training at the RTC I noted this unusual four wheel wagon in the yard with a lot of short lengths of rail stacked up and bolted down to it  - presumably for ballast purposes. I had no idea what it was or it's significance other than it looked quite interesting!

May I just remind members that this thread is with respect to the Rapido APT-e (which I almost like, or possibly think is ghastly depending on how my diodes are playing up, as its also shiny and blue) and please could we return to this topic rather than the more recent digressions for which you are more then welcome to start a relevant new thread.

The voice of sanity......

• Like 1

Hi All,

Over the next few weeks (time willing) to a month, I will be putting out the APT-E expansion kit,  speed probe, module steps, tilt system active sign, 4mm Mr tilt and team and if I can get its design finished in time, a handling dolly, plus the required for all E train movements, an oil lamp.

Watch this space.

Paul

APT-E Conservation & Support Group.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Daft.

I would like a spare centre car, if only to recreate it being roaded out of the NRM on a low-loader (and I could easily justify one as a cameo on my new layout.

I wonder if there's enough interest in trailer cars to justify another run of those only?

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

[tongue in cheek] Were any studies done regarding the performance of the oil lamp when tilted at high speed? [/tongue in cheek]

:D  While we quite often had the bracket(s) fitted I can't actually recall seeing an oil lamp in position. I suspect there was one fitted when the train was moved across to the Loco Works for Rebuild 1, which caused the ASLEF 1 day strike, but I didn't see that with my own eyes.

I suppose we could have fitted the oil lamp bracket with its own tilt system to ensure the flame wasn't affected by any extraneous lateral forces though..........  :sarcastic:

• Like 1

No provision for a second man. Was it a strike or just a boycott of the APT-E?

ASLEF blacked both E-Train and the HST prototype because both were single manned, and they wanted a driver and second man in the cab of all trains that could run at over 100 mph, with extra payments of course. The CM&EE Dept. moved the driver's seats on the then Class 41s to one side and added a 2nd man's seat, but that was impossible on E-Train as the crash beams ran either side of the driver. We did eventually solve the problem by adding a fourth seat in the cab, bolted to the door that lead into the engine compartment!

While waiting for ASLEF to become more reasonable (some chance........) we brought forward our planned Rebuild 1 which needed the train moved to the Loco Works, and that was done by a team of Inspectors and an 08 shunter. This enraged ASLEF so much that they called a 24 hour strike the next day, which cost BR more than the entire R&D Division's budget for the entire year!

• RMweb Premium

Daft.

I would like a spare centre car, if only to recreate it being roaded out of the NRM on a low-loader (and I could easily justify one as a cameo on my new layout.

I wonder if there's enough interest in trailer cars to justify another run of those only?

Cheers,

Mick

I wouldn't be surprised if there was enough interest for another full production run...!

Not the best picture in the world, but how the E-Train should have looked!,

Might spur on another production run

Jeepers, you bought SIX extra Trailer Cars?  :O

That does look good, I hope you've numbered the extra ones from TC3 to TC9 though.  :D

Hi Kit,

No, ordered 8 of them, TC-1 & TC-2 aren't in the consist, She weighs in at 2.8m total length there.

Already been in contact with Simon from SH modelling who's going to do TC-3 to TC-10 for me later on,

Thanks, Craig.