Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

Just received Kernows weekly news letter and these little beauties are shown as arriving in April.

What has astounded me is the price. How can they be so cheap??? Surely £169.00 for an "O" gauge RTR steam loco is a steal.

Well done to Dapol. 

Have they said when the Isle of wight version is coming out, or have I missed it in the list.

Gareth

Nothing announced yet but at the price I'd be happy to alter one myself!

JF

Edited by Jon Fitness

Rails of Sheffield advertises the DC version for 159,95 - that´s not a steal, that´robbery!

Compare this price with Bachmann asking 144,95 for their OO9 WD 4-6-0 ...

Just goes to show that size isn't everything!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I am wondering if anyone can tell me what the small rectangular objects with associated pipe work on both lower front ends of  Dapol's Terrier side tanks are? 

Are they Lubricators? 

I ve spent a little time going through Tom Middlemass's "Stroudley and his Terriers" looking to find which locos possibly had these fitting and if so when ? So far l have not found any examples, This includes  all Stroudley & Southern liveried versions contained within its pages. In fact there is a good picture of 2644 (with condencing pipes August 1938) on page 71 and Brighton on page 97 both with no evidence of these fittings at all?

Bob C

• RMweb Premium

Yes they are lubricator oil boxes

Only some Terriers had them at some times, eg A1 Boxhill in 1929 as Brighton Loco Works shunter

The Colin Binnie drawing of A1x IoW 32650 has them on both tanks

So again best to model a specific loco from photos at a specific time!

Dava

Yes  lubricators.  These  feed  the  driving  axleboxes.

The  alternative  position  for  these  was  I  believe  just  around  the  corner  on  the  side  of  the  tank  facing  the  boiler.

This  location  would  not  be  visible  in  most  photos  (or  models)

.As  always,  for  a  specific  loco  and  date,  check  photos.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

I think you'll need to email Dapol on that one Jenny as there's no way of knowing the current draw until they are released as it depends on the motor ;)

I'm hoping it's basically a OO loco sized motor as I can use a cheaper sound chip in it.

Now that the Terrier is allegedly going to put in an appearance soon in the shops, could anyone tell me whether I might be able to run one off a Gaugemaster series E controller or whether it will need a more manly controller?

As there's no information available about what motor Dapol are using in the Terrier, the closest comparison we have are the Ixion loco's. Chris Klein has very kindly provided current draw information giving the maximum draw of the Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0 as 396ma.

Depending on where you read the output of the the Series E is either 0.3 or 0.4 amps. So even if Dapol have achieved anything near Ixion's impressive standards your controller may not me man enough. 

• RMweb Premium

Quick snap of the sample Terrier from the Lionheart trains stand at Kettering today - lovely!

Gents

I ve spent sometime comparing the latest photos of the LBSCr liveried Dapol Terrier against period photos and noticed that it appears the tops of the tanks and sand boxes were painted Black on the original locomotives, where as the Dapol model is in Green, has anyone else noticed this?. I believe Mr Webster confirmed that the current batch of photos from which the photos were taken were  Factory finished examples?

Edited by Blobrick

I thought the Terriers on the stand at Ally Pally this weekend looked superb. Hard to believe they're only £200 a pop. Dapol hope to have them in the shops May / June time.

I feel the strange urge to build a small Southern based O gauge layout coming on. :locomotive:

Street price for the Terrier is as low as GBP 154 now - I can hardly wait to get one in BR early crest livery!

What amazes me, though, is that the price for the DCC & sound version is more than double. I can get a sound decoder for a little over GBP 50 ...

Well, if I had the money for it, I'd buy up a small fleet of them and build an O gauge "Minories" Layout running little 4-wheel coaches. I doubt that I'l be able to make it happen though.

Heck, if I had the money, I'd put a face on Stepney just to stir up the "serious" modellers at shows.