RMweb

Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Premium

Over on another topic, NeilHB has totally dismantled his Terrier ready for a repaint - amazing number of separate parts - just hope he can get it back together again !

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97585-elsbridge-wharf-1906-neilhbs-layout/page-3&do=findComment&comment=2016932

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

While raking up grass this morning (something I've been doing nearly all week, so my mind has been wandering a bit!), a couple of questions came to mind that I hope soon fade into oblivion, or could turn out rather expensive!

1) Which, if any, of the current batch are as running in around 1904/1905? Specifically which are contemporary with the K&ESR Bodiam, that was bought in 1900?

2) Are any of the current batch, or futures batches, in the condition (apart from from livery obviously) that K&ESR Rolvendon was in when first running on the K&ESR (1904)?

Rolvenden (ie Wapping) as delivered was an A1 similar to Bodiam and the other A1s - no condenser pipes and wooden brake blocks.

Dava

Rolvenden (ie Wapping) as delivered was an A1 similar to Bodiam and the other A1s - no condenser pipes and wooden brake blocks.

Dava

Thanks. I was thinking they were different originally. So I need two Bodiams then!

What's this about no condenser pipes? Or do you just mean Rolvendon?

http://colonelstephenssociety.co.uk/onewebstatic/b6dd6c0bda-COL-KES8.jpg-for-web-large.jpg

Photo 38 in the Middleton Press book shows Bodiam with them in 1907, and photo 76 (undated, but early) shows Rolvendon without them. Do clear early photos of both of them exist? I'd like to be sure that if I can scrape together enough money to buy two while they're available, I can convert one quite easily.

Edited by BG John

Bennett collection: early photo of Rolvenden at Brighton, which is said to show her there for "first re-paint" (presumably first post-sale overhaul, really), not when originally sold, no condensing pipes.

If you are going for early condition KESR condition, beware that the way that the railway and locomotive names were painted on the tanks was subtly different before and after this first overhaul/re-paint.

Kevin

Where do I find the Bennett Collection photo? Googling came up with loads of non railway Bennett Collections, and the Lightmoor Press book.

Presumably this supposedly just pre sale photo is pretty accurate, although I hope they did some work on the smokebox and chimney! I assume the Westinghouse pump was removed, is it doesn't seem to be in the photos I've found so far.

http://www.southerncountiesrailwaysociety.co.uk/southern_counties_railway_society_TT_july_2013.htm

I've read that Bodiam will be produced as originally delivered, so does that mean the lettering will be wrong for both of them in 1904/05?

I'm getting very tempted to increase my order to two, but want to be sure I'm not letting myself in for a big or fiddly job!

BGJ

I don't know of the photo being anywhere on the web. The book is very well worth the investment, because it contains pretty much al of the LBSCR material from the collection, printed well and printed large. If you have a lot of other LBSCR books, you will recognise a lot of the shots - the one I'm on about is in the Ian Allen LBSCR album, for instance - but they aren't anything like as well reproduced elsewhere.

The other book that contains fabulous LBSCR images is one of E J Bedford's pictures. I'm not aware of a book that contains all of the other key set of photos, by O J Morris, but there might be one.

So far, ferreting through my books, I can't find pictures that answer this lettering point conclusively for the very early dates, but the caption in the Bennett Collection book says that, initially, the wording around the name was in two, separate arcs, one above, one below, whereas the photo shows the better-known oval all the way round the name.

The earliest pictures on the KESR that I've found so far are 1907 for 'Bodiam', and c1910 for 'Rolvenden', but I'm convinced I've seen earlier photos somewhere!

Bradley says that vacuum brake was substituted for the Westinghouse on both locos before the sales, so no Westinghouse pump in either case

Have you considered a visit to the museum at Tenterden? I have a strong feeling that the members of the Col. Stephens Society will know all the answers to all the questions, and more.

Two points that I did stumble upon that I'd forgotten: the livery included a white line, as well as the red, according to one source; and, both locos were paid for partly with loans from Barclays Bank.

Sounds as if buying both, using a credit card, would be entirely prototypical!

Are KESR Nos. 1, 2 & 4 on your hit-list too?

Kevin

• Like 1

My main interest is somewhat further west, so I can't afford to start collecting books on the Brighton just for the odd K&ESR picture! My plan at the moment is to model something on the authorised but not built Pevensey extension, which is why buying one in IEG crossed my mind, as it could be used to transfer wagons between the two Pevensey stations, or be on hire to alleviate a loco shortage. But both K&ESR ones is better, if less colourful!

I was thinking of having a holiday in the area this year, as I haven't been there for a very long time, but it will have to wait until next year now. I rejoined the Colonel Stephens Society this year, but haven't got far with gathering information yet. At this stage, I just want to be sure that buying two is a sensible plan, although seeing some good photos would be great.

No 2 is on my to-do list. I've scanned the drawings into Inkscape, and altered the perspective of a few photos to match up to it. One day, I'll start drawing the parts for cutting on my Silhouette Portrait. I want to do a few simpler scratchbuilds first though, so I can hopefully develop the skills to make a really good job of it. Of course having produced the artwork, it seems pointless not doing No 1 too! I just need to save up for the Slaters wheels! I know there are kits available, but I also know the state of my bank account!

No 4 isn't on the list, as I rather fancy building the original lightweight track that was probably too weedy for it, it's big and may be out of place on a smallish layout, and it needs lots of expensive Slaters wheels. On the other hand, it's just a bigger version of Nos 1 and 2!

BGJ

I'm in danger of off-topickery here, but there is a significant ridge of high ground between Robertsbridge and Pevensey, and I've always assumed that one of the reasons why the extension was never built was that it would have involved one of two devils: a steep and curvaceous route that would be expensive to operate; or, a well-graded route, but prohibitively expensive-to-build route.

I've often imagined that the exchange point would have been at some otherwise deserted place on the edge of the Pevensey marshes, where the smoke from locomotive chimneys blows away quickly, and horizontally. A gate, a fence, a few sheep, and the wind whistling in the wires. A forgotten open wagon silhouetted against a slate grey sky.

Sussex is beautiful 97% of the time, but I have bitter experience of the Wealden hills and coastal marshes from cycle rides when the weather has turned at the wrong moment!

Kevin

• Like 2

It's a potential place to run Terriers Kevin! I've got a family connection with nearby Herstmonceux, as we used to spend two weeks holiday on my aunt and uncle's farm every year when I was little, which is why the line appeals. I'm inclined to work on the assumption that if local history and geography was a bit different, the line would have had a better chance of being built! Or maybe I'll need Hecate after all, and double-headed Terriers!

Not sure if anyone has seen (heard) one yet, but Richard Webster had a "factory" sound one running on the Lionheart stand at Steam yesterday. No expert on what noises Terriers make but it sounded good to me. The factory sound has been done by the same chap responsible for the Lionheart locos.

Not sure if anyone has seen (heard) one yet, but Richard Webster had a "factory" sound one running on the Lionheart stand at Steam yesterday. No expert on what noises Terriers make but it sounded good to me. The factory sound has been done by the same chap responsible for the Lionheart locos.

i have seen a couple of different videos of sound fitted terriers, but the trouble is getting the right sound. locos with original copper capped chimneys have more of a whistle in the exhaust chuff than drummond style chimney fitted locos, and that doesn't seem to come across in the clips

Did he mention the price?

I can only find a list price for the sound fitted version at £399 shown on Tower models ('reduced' to £335).

Seems a bit pricey as mine cost less than £260 all-in.

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited to correct my arithmetic.

Edited by pauliebanger

No, I didn't mention it (still trying not to justify one). The numbers you've quoted are the only ones I've seen so it's probably fair to assume that's what it'll be. I agree that it's quite a jump in price over the non sound one. I'm sure I read somewhere that the sound install is being done in Chirk, at least on these first batches, so presumably there's a fairly significant labour cost in there too.  

Edited by brianthesnail96

No, I didn't mention it (still trying not to justify one). The numbers you've quoted are the only ones I've seen so it's probably fair to assume that's what it'll be. I agree that it's quite a jump in price over the non sound one. I'm sure I read somewhere that the sound install is being done in Chirk, at least on these first batches, so presumably there's a fairly significant labour cost in there too.  

Hi Matt,

I just wondered if there was any corroboration of the Tower Models 'list price'.

It's a very straightforward installation; see Hornby Magazine for a step by step guide.

At retail prices, plug-in ZIMO MX 644D sound decoder from Digitrains, £80 (no extra charge for the sounds), speaker £8.50

Fitting time, 15 minutes.

Kind regards,

Paul

Antics are showing the same list price (and both Antics and Tower showed the same "RRP" for the non sound one which would appear to be correct) so I've no reason to doubt it.

Not saying that I'd pay for a sound fitted one myself, was just pointing out that it seems like the sound is sorted and it's likely that they'll be available shortly for those who are waiting for them :)

I suspect many more are waiting for the BR ones, Richard had a lined black sample too but that was at Telford of course, I don't believe the sound fitted one was.

I've just e-mailed Dapol to check on the latest delivery date for Bodiam, and the reply was "We anticipate the Terrier being in store around the middle of October". As they were asking the Colonel Stephens Society for advice on the correct colour at Telford, having acknowledged they'd got it wrong, that seems rather soon.

Over on another topic, NeilHB has totally dismantled his Terrier ready for a repaint - amazing number of separate parts - just hope he can get it back together again !

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97585-elsbridge-wharf-1906-neilhbs-layout/page-3&do=findComment&comment=2016932

I took mine apart too, to convert it to an IoW prototype.

post-25253-0-39227800-1442315765_thumb.jpg

Took a few more bits off as the conversion went on. Haven't counted them, I'm too easily scared, but it will be fun putting it all back together!

• Like 1

I don't suppose it did - it wouldn't affect the running. In the five pictures above, four are ahead of the crankpin and one is behind!

Peter

Might have done if the left hand rods had the joint in front and the right hands rod had the joint behind