Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

I thought I better sort out the points where trains tend to get stuck before the Mallard lands tomorrow. Last night some of them were not working today they were. :declare:  How can you fix something that is working? :dontknow: :dontknow:

Well that is one less job.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I thought I better sort out the points where trains tend to get stuck before the Mallard lands tomorrow. Last night some of them were not working today they were. :declare:  How can you fix something that is working? :dontknow: :dontknow:

Have you cleared the landing strip yet? I can cause damage if the ground is too rough and covered in Teddy Bear Fur or similar.

I shall be arriving around 10.30 if that's OK?

Ar$£

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Have you cleared the landing strip yet? I can cause damage if the ground is too rough and covered in Teddy Bear Fur or similar.

I shall be arriving around 10.30 if that's OK?

Ar$£

Hi Phil

All 'orse grooming duties should be completed by then. I am looking forward to it.

• Like 1

I thought I better sort out the points where trains tend to get stuck before the Mallard lands tomorrow. Last night some of them were not working today they were. :declare: How can you fix something that is working? :dontknow: :dontknow:

Just in time to start playing up again tomorrow.

• RMweb Premium

No it will be a new problem which will see me scratching my head and saying "It has never done that before".

Would you Adam and Eve it, a new problem has already happened. The tandem point that faces platforms one, two and three is playing up. If the blades are set so that the first pair are facing platform one and the second set are pointing to number three, the train in platform two moves. Not only does it move but opposite to the way the controller is set. I know with DCC I wouldn't have that problem or would I? When the second pair are directed to platform two it doesn't move. Strange?

I know the GM500 for the first set of blades is a bit dodgy and is listed for replacement so when I change that I will retest.

• RMweb Premium

Would you Adam and Eve it, a new problem has already happened. The tandem point that faces platforms one, two and three is playing up. If the blades are set so that the first pair are facing platform one and the second set are pointing to number three, the train in platform two moves. Not only does it move but opposite to the way the controller is set. I know with DCC I wouldn't have that problem or would I? When the second pair are directed to platform two it doesn't move. Strange?

I know the GM500 for the first set of blades is a bit dodgy and is listed for replacement so when I change that I will retest.

Fear not Morty. If all explodes we can just sit and watch the birdies and horses and chat about Politics whilst sipping Camomile Chi with sweetener. If you have spliffs then that will be a bonus.

Ae$£

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Frog here in 36E this morning; beautiful Autumn Sun east of the Wolds! Almost the same on return with lovely sun setting until about Hemswell. Trent and Idle valleys must be having still airs today? Strangely I rather enjoyed the drives (didn't fly as I am not really a Duck; sorry to disappoint you all), today as the views were mostly good and I have done the route before when visiting Donna Nook (no sniggering, it is a place where Seals hang around and Jet Fighter/Bombers practise their attack runs.

Lovely day being entertained at Sheffield Exchange; thanks Mortys. Was gifted a Mk1 3 set and three bags of good s#it. Couple of my steam loco's and a Diseasel thing in blue, also had a run out. The latter can stay with Morty until he tires of it.

Few pics if I can get them off my phone later.

Phil

PS is there really a little model shop in Market Drayton; Central Models, or was I imagining that?

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Before Phil came here I sent him a PM, stating you can park anywhere on the driveway. It is big enough for 3 cars, a tractor with a 4 ton trailer and a mechanical shovel. Well I wasn't expecting the last two items when I sent the PM. Mrs M informed me Jim the farmer was going to be collecting the muck heap today, but she didn't know what time. So Phil was greeted by me directing him to the only part of anywhere on the driveway he could park.

We started to play trains when I noticed Jim the farmer arrive. Only to find Mrs M had gone out, well she had taken the eldest to the job centre. Oh flipping heck I thought. Opened the gate for Jim and his son then went down to the paddock. Oh, deary me the horses were where the tractor and trailer needed to be parked. Would they move, "No it is nice grass here, so up yours matey" was their attitude. I am not the best with the horses and I don't like having to put a head collar on the big one as she can get a bit uppity. I braved up and moved them out the way. Jim and his son started to clear away the muck heap, at this point I thought it might be a good idea to get some boots on, flip flops are not the ideal footwear for helping clear a manure pile away. I got me boots, and asked Phil if Mrs Duck would like some carp for her allotment. The dogs got out, would they go back in, no. We finished loading the muck heap and bagged some up for Mrs Duck. The gate to the paddock was opened, in came the dogs. The paddock is horse safe but not dog and one of them would be off over the fields if he had a chance. I did manage to catch the dogs. Just as Jim and his son were leaving Mrs M turned up.

I went back to play trains with Phil, where was one of my flip flops? Gus the gundog had taken down to the paddock.

Meanwhile Phil who had been left alone had settled himself down to reading a book on LMS coaches. A wise move.

All the excitement of the muck heap didn't do me any good when it came to driving trains. There was nearly a Board of Trade investigation as a BR standard class 4 tank was perched over the end of platform 4's track. Phil's "nearly as old as me" Wrenn class 8F ran very nicely. There was also an SR special in the form of a Spam Can of some type. Rumour control is saying it might have the wrong type of cab......I didn't know they had different types of cab. I thought there was only two differences, those with the tin plate covering and those which were impersonating Britannia class locos. Everyday is a school day.  

I must say sorry yet again for how naughty the cocker spaniel was. He kept jumping up at Phil and where he landed his paws made Phil talk in an octave higher than normal. Sorry Phil. 

Otherwise what a great day. Thanks Phil for coming over.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

The Spaniel obviously was overwhelmed by my scent thinking I was a real Duck! Just wanted to fetch me all the time, whereas the Lab was very shy and just needed to steal Clive's shoe(s). Great fun.

I enjoy seeing other friend's layouts as it encourages me to get a grip and get on up The Junction. 

That Wrenn 8F hadn't run for at least 20 years and it only needed some gentle encouragement for a few seconds before it moved away and just kept going nice and steady. I know the valve gear is crude but I had not really noticed that the little piston valves 'reciprocate'  realistically. Don't see that on any modern RTR loco's ( I think?) 

I'm trying to think of how I can tell 'Sir' that the Cab on the spam is not correct for the loco represented (Mortehoe) but as he so kindly loaned me the loco I will find that hard to do. 

Morty has a wonderful collection of books about Bog Carts. I'm going to see if I can borrow one or two.......

P

• RMweb Premium

I think one snag with some layouts is people model without looking at what they are trying to do. Your example is just one. The one I notice often is European and US style buildings on U.K. layouts. They see a Faller, Kibri or Walthers kit for industry X but don't spot the architectural differences. The physical modelling may be ace but the conceptual modelling has let them down.

I think Iain Rice wrote in one of his books about the "Land of Tir Na Nog" modelling, to describe use of multiple geographical styles of building on the same layout.  It has been said many times on this forum, but far more people make a model of a model they've seen in a magazine, than a model of a real location, or even a scaled-down track layout from a real location.

Probably even more common than poor building choice are impossible geographical features; railways that appear from a tunnel apparently bored just behind a retaining wall, are a common one on layouts.

• RMweb Gold

I'm now too frighened to visit Mortyworld... I may end up having to wrangle horses and shovel sh1t for the day...

Only on a good day...

Spotter's visit to Sheffield Exchange. Captain's Log.............

Spamilicious:

attachicon.gif20181106_135833.jpg

attachicon.gif20181106_135809.jpg

attachicon.gif20181106_140028.jpg

Diseasel Depot

attachicon.gif20181106_135906.jpg

Join the Wrenns

attachicon.gif20181106_140122.jpg

I shall leave Morty to commentate on the scenes.

P

An interesting West Country.

Looks either to be kit built, or very cleverly weathered to give the appearance of undulations in the side sheeting?

I have an old H-D 8f in bits, it has been for a while. Given to me be a now deceased friend as near scrap along with a Standard tank. Seeing your pic I think that perhaps I should invest some more time in it to see if I can get it to work properly, but it will need a respray.

John.

• RMweb Premium

I'm now too frighened to visit Mortyworld... I may end up having to wrangle horses and shovel sh1t for the day... 

No need to strangle the horses Doc, they are quite placid most of the time....oh, hang on. As for shoveling the 'manure' I am sure a beefy good ole boy such as yerself would be a maestro (or metro?) with the shovel; yee hah! (Que, a blast of Blue Grass Fiddle)

post-2326-0-84153000-1541596696.jpg

Ar$£ (almost literally)