Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

I had one too, :sungum:  NO Not 1, 2, :O   I had one, TOOOOOOO. :no:  :stinker:  :stinker:

but MINE involved some pics as well. :sungum:

Andy,

It is a Sunday, where do you think our lineside photographer is going to get film? It is out of season so even the shops in Maplethorpe are not open on a Sunday. :no:

Not all of us live in trendy, "our shops are open seven days a week", Swadlincote. :nono: :nono:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Andy,

It is a Sunday, where do you think our lineside photographer is going to get film? It is out of season so even the shops in Maplethorpe are not open on a Sunday. :no:

Not all of us live in trendy, "our shops are open seven days a week", Swadlincote. :nono: :nono:

• RMweb Premium

Looking at my layout yesterday, I realise how lucky I am.

It fits my needs. It is big enough for the trains to have a decent run but not to big for me to look after. It is just the right height and I can move around it.

I am really lucky.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Last night I took up the three way point at the entrance to the Manchester sidings and replaced it with a right and a left hand points. The main reason was the long blades were acting as a spring and pushing the short blades enough as to break a reliable electrical contact.  :(  Now this hasn't been to much of an operational problem as the points in the fuddle yards are still hand operated so if it didn't work I was there to give it a push.  ;)   When I get all the points power operated then it could be a source of regular effing and jeffing from the bloke on the control panel. :ireful:

I was using the three way because of my desire to have all sidings capable of holding 8 BR mk1 coaches, with clearance for trains to pass at the end the points are. The two sidings (numbers 8 and 9) nearest the fireplace on the Any Rail plan indicated that they wouldn't if I used standard medium radius points.  :rtfm:  Upon replacing the three way I shunted a rake of Mk1 coaches into number 8 siding and ran a train in to number 9 siding and there is a gnat's whisker clearance with the end wall acting as the buffer stop for those two sidings. :umbrage:  Now that was luck. :good:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good news and hassle removed........or so you say, no photo to prove it has actually happened.

Richard

Hi Dickie Rich Richie ???? Sir

I have done tonight's homework and I can prove that the three way point was removed and two new points put in its place.

post-16423-0-76433300-1540850673_thumb.jpg

The three way point in place.

post-16423-0-39368700-1540850728_thumb.jpg

The three way point not in place, but the two new points are. Please note the packaging of the new points beside the running lines and the three way not attached to anything.

Whoops forgot tonight's song, normally when I hear a cover version of Patti Smiths "Because the Night" I shake with both disgust as it doesn't match Patti's version or anger "How dare they". But this version , Shirley and Marissa nail it.

• Like 3

Hi Dickie Rich Richie ???? Sir

I have done tonight's homework and I can prove that the three way point was removed and two new points put in its place.

attachicon.gif100_5194.JPG

The three way point in place.

attachicon.gif100_5307.JPG

The three way point not in place, but the two new points are. Please note the packaging of the new points beside the running lines and the three way not attached to anything.

Whoops forgot tonight's song, normally when I hear a cover version of Patti Smiths "Because the Night" I shake with both disgust as it doesn't match Patti's version or anger "How dare they". But this version , Shirley and Marissa nail it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wzPE8wfjfw

Good work on the layout. B+ grade overall, as the track work is well done, but some of the locos could be improved by making them more like kettles.

• RMweb Premium

Good work on the layout. B+ grade overall, as the track work is well done, but some of the locos could be improved by making them more like kettles.

WOT??????????

I have a selection of diesel and steam locomotives to run alongside my lovely DMUs. :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

• Like 1

Looking at my layout yesterday, I realise how lucky I am.

It fits my needs. It is big enough for the trains to have a decent run but not to big for me to look after. It is just the right height and I can move around it.

I am really lucky.

Sounds more like you simply thought about it properly before building.

Where is the luck in that?

• RMweb Premium

That version of "Because the night"  is a rather painful. Lacks the punch of patti's version.

But I keep popping in here. Cheers me up to see to see lots of trains running about the place. There are times when thats all I want, getting pre group right is hard work at times.

I once tried to make a 3 way point. Made me realise why most of the time they just made tandems......... 

Anyone else p155ed off that Halloween now seems to last for a fortnight?

And 3 Months of Fireworks.

And 3 Months of Christmas.

And the Easter Eggs will be advertised on Telly soon I'm told, (don't watch much Telly).

And the Summer Holidays will be advertised on Telly soon I'm told, (see above).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That version of "Because the night"  is a rather painful. Lacks the punch of patti's version.

But I keep popping in here. Cheers me up to see to see lots of trains running about the place. There are times when thats all I want, getting pre group right is hard work at times.

I once tried to make a 3 way point. Made me realise why most of the time they just made tandems......... 

Hi Dave

I think it is far better than any versions I have heard by the co-writer. Last night I found a version with Patti Smith and the Springsteen geezer, I thought that might be interesting to watch. I then re-read the title and realised that they were singing with U2...Bonio singing Because the Night. I gave my ears a night off.

I am going to have to have a read of your blog. I like seeing pre-grouping layouts, mainly because there has to be an element of modelling.

• RMweb Premium

And yet you still respond! If I don’t exist then you are arguing with a figment of your imagination.

You could be an alien form another planet trying to make meaningful conversation with a normal earthling and that is a photo of you.

Or you could be so ugly a photo of yourself on the interwebthingie could cause a total meltdown, preventing the Chinese, Russians and geekie kids in America from hacking into Trump's twatter account.

Therefore to save the world it is better to keep you engaged and not demand to see a published photo.

• RMweb Premium

I hate modern packaging, well toy train packaging. I decided to do some stock swapping, so off went the unpainted, unfinished DMUs to be replaced by loco hauled trains mainly loco hauled non gangwayed trains. What a faff to take them out their boxes, and to put the DMUs in their boxes. I am going to have to invest is a set of layout train boxes where as I empty one with stock for the train set I then refill it with stuff coming off the layout. Then I can hide away the RTR boxes and their complicated inner plastic retainers.

At the moment I have a ER set made up of Gresley coaches heading towards Sheffield hauled by a BR type 2 and from Wakefield a Fowler class 4 tank with a set of Stanier non-gangwayed coaches.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Have has anyone else noticed that soldering irons don't get hot if you only plug them in and not turn them on? :dontknow: :fool: :laugh:

Well spotted.

They also don't get hot if you're in a hurry to use them.

Conversely, if you touch one accidentally it will always be hot.