Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Another thing with soldering irons they stop working in power cuts, as do the lights and the layout. The flip flop didn't stop but the HUB did so I could shout for help. That is two so far tonight. Blow this rural life, slight adverse weather and the over head power line are down.

Same thing happened in darkest Essex, I suppose it is village life.

• Like 1

Anyone else p155ed off that Halloween now seems to last for a fortnight?

I was ordered to go to Tesco today by SWMBO. I kid you not there was an entire aisle dedicated to Halloween. Worse still it was aisle I can usually find a bottle of Scotch on offer. Then I heard someone complaining to a staff member about “all this Halloween”. Good for you I thought until I realised she was complaining because she couldn’t get any Fireworks ! ! !

Anyway, to counteract all this I’m thinking of lobbying the Government to have a Joe Duddington Day, 3rd July each year to remember the Great Man’s exploits on Mallard. A day off work and everyone to dress as Joe did, back in 1938, in cloth cap turned back to front and two piece blue overall covered in coal dust. Very educational for the children I think.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I was ordered to go to Tesco today by SWMBO. I kid you not there was an entire aisle dedicated to Halloween. Worse still it was aisle I can usually find a bottle of Scotch on offer. Then I heard someone complaining to a staff member about “all this Halloween”. Good for you I thought until I realised she was complaining because she couldn’t get any Fireworks ! ! !

Anyway, to counteract all this I’m thinking of lobbying the Government to have a Joe Duddington Day, 3rd July each year to remember the Great Man’s exploits on Mallard. A day off work and everyone to dress as Joe did, back in 1938, in cloth cap turned back to front and two piece blue overall covered in coal dust. Very educational for the children I think.

There will be a Clive Mortimore day in the future. I am pretty sure of it. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

• RMweb Premium

I kept getting a short between when two sections were on. They are not connected track wise or shouln't be electrically. I spent ages trying to sort them out when I noticed if a point on one of the sections was set one direction then there was no short. So I examined the GM500 relay which switches that point's frog. No every thing seemed OK. I then went under the boards and noticed that the point in question and one of the points on the other section had the same colour wire, brown. So I looked at the relay for the other point. Blow me I had soldered the frog wire to the first point to the wrong relay. That is why I only had a short between the two track sections if the points were set in a certain way. Second major problem now not an issue.

Here are some snaps of tonight's running session with a change of stock.

post-16423-0-01988600-1540941093_thumb.jpg

Doncaster sidings.

post-16423-0-38923700-1540941126_thumb.jpg

Manchester sidings, note the new points are still in place I haven't changed my mind.

post-16423-0-72963500-1540941198_thumb.jpg

The station at the start.

post-16423-0-05761400-1540941241_thumb.jpg

The Huddersfield and Doncaster stoppers pass each other.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Now we see the two trains arriving. The Doncaster DMU is held at the signal to allow the late running Huddersfield to arrive first.

post-16423-0-85403800-1540941492_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-83850100-1540941518_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-96071300-1540941534_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-57933400-1540941551_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-17942600-1540941564_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-36106500-1540941580_thumb.jpg

I hope those who are a wake would have noticed that the road traffic is not the same as it was in the last set of photos.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Now the loco that will be taking the empty Huddersfield stock to the carriage sidings makes its way from the steam loco yard.

post-16423-0-67301300-1540941816_thumb.jpg

On the yard headshunt.

post-16423-0-72154000-1540941830_thumb.jpg

Waiting for the shunt signal to clear

post-16423-0-77635300-1540941857_thumb.jpg

Trundling along

post-16423-0-79164900-1540941868_thumb.jpg

Read to depart when the guard says so.

And LOOK he has been found......Arnold the Essex Saddleback who could be seen on Pig lane and Hanging Hill :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

post-16423-0-45847100-1540942060_thumb.jpg

This is something we as modellers are supposed to do at exhibitions...Entertain

Possibly their best song.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Have has anyone else noticed that soldering irons don't get hot if you only plug them in and not turn them on? :dontknow: :fool: :laugh:

Another thing with soldering irons they stop working in power cuts, 

Unless they are battery or gas powered..........

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I notice you still have a 3-way point in the station on the central relief line. Will this too be replaced ?

Hi Stu

There are five tandem points in the station area. They are code 75 and of a different design to the code 100 where the blades don't interfere with each other.

I have used code 100 3 ways on most my layouts, Pig Lane WR has three of them. This is the first one I have had where the long blades have acted as a spring and pushed the short blades enough that they regularly lose electrical contact. As they are the other side of the room to the control panel where I will be when all points are powered up I thought it best to replace with something more reliable.

It will not see the bin as will be using it on a future project.

• Like 1

There will be a Clive Mortimore day in the future. I am pretty sure of it. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Sounds good to me. We don't have a patron saint of soldering irons so there's your chance.

Love the pictures. Even without scenery, roughly scale length trains always look good on a spacious layout. The L1 towing 5 Thomsons really looks the business to my eye. Keep that sense of openness and this is going to look great when its done.Keep the pictures coming.

• RMweb Premium

(from what I can remember) did you work out why when setting one of the fiddle tracks the line next to it would also run?... Or am I mis-remembering something from my last visit?!

Hi Map

I did sort it out but can't remember how the problem was being caused. It wasn't the point that I was switching but the one before it making an odd connection. Once a problem is sorted there is no need to dwell on it. :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Unless they are battery or gas powered..........

A very good point there MICK

Now if I could afford to fit all my locos with radio control and battery powered along with gas lighting in the train set room then power cuts.....what are they?  :dontknow:  :dontknow: 

Sadly all stops and I bash into things trying to get out the room on my quest to find where the candles where put after the last power cut. :blind:

• RMweb Premium

Do what Kevin (KNP) has done on Little Muddle and take all the motors out of the locos.  Then they'll just be push along and will work perfectly in a power cut :)

Alternatively replace all motors with Escaps...........................there's a challenge and is probably fiscally much too inventive.

Ar$£

A very good point there MICK

Now if I could afford to fit all my locos with radio control and battery powered along with gas lighting in the train set room then power cuts.....what are they?  :dontknow:  :dontknow: 

Sadly all stops and I bash into things trying to get out the room on my quest to find where the candles where put after the last power cut. :blind:

Nah, you just need a small UPS. If it can keep a PC running for an hour then it should have no issue with the much smaller loading of a model railway + soldering iron...

Regards, ...... Map...

• RMweb Premium

Nah, you just need a small UPS. If it can keep a PC running for an hour then it should have no issue with the much smaller loading of a model railway + soldering iron...

Regards, ...... Map...

Hi Map

Whoosh...UPS.....that went straight over me 'ead. What is a UPS? :scratchhead: :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

I have a been finking.....I might be doing a Andy Peters . :scared: :scared:

I have found a few problems with the two loco yards when operating. Both suffer with a shunting difficulty. I should have added an isolating section at the end of each headshunt so I drive a loco off a siding park it on the head shunt and then free the loco it was blocking in so it can take up its duty in the station. Two switches, four wires and two rail cuts. No major problem to sort out the first idea. :sungum:

The second is the layout of the diesel yard. I may revise it with a run round. The loco arrives on the yard head shunt, moves on to the fuel point on the centre road and fills up with petrol. It then moves to the reversing headshunt when full and thus free ups the fuel point. From there if there is room it would be  brought forward to the run round line (one closest to the mainlines) and reversed into the siding. If that is occupied it will stop on the run round. This will involve buying more point motors, a new section switch and quite a bit of fresh wiring. :)

post-16423-0-05264100-1541077283_thumb.png

Edit....helps if the plan is included.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Uninterrupted power supply.

1464038133856_premium-line-ups-mercedes-

UPSWEB.jpg

Like Yodel but they have a uniformed person to throw the parcels over the wall.

Well that has informed/told me. :good:

I do remain puzzled as how a van delivering stuff would help in a power cut but I am sure you will know. :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

Well that has informed/told me. :good:

I do remain puzzled as how a van delivering stuff would help in a power cut but I am sure you will know. :scratchhead:

'cos the one in my piccy was an electric van - so you could plug the layout in. :blum:

• RMweb Premium

'cos the one in my piccy was an electric van - so you could plug the layout in. :blum:

Hi Ian

Now that has given me an idea, park the car so the headlights shine through the window so I can see, and a set of jumper leads through the window to power the layout. Problem solved. :declare:

Couldn't do that with DCC.

• Like 2