Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

Two things Clive,

Firstly re moving to Wales, there is a little known By Law in Wales that says Eastern Region Locos must NOT set foot in the Country. (and that was the good news, now for the bad news).

Is that a new one passed by the Welsh Assembly? Doesn't seem to have been applied in my spotting days. I copped one at Wrexham when travelling from Birmingham to Birkenhead in 1961 Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

What is it with Wales?

When our youngest finishes school, my wife wants to move to the middle of nowhere in Wales.............................

Trouble with the middle of nowhere (especially in Wales) is that it's a long way from anywhere - including Tesco (and most other supermarkets).

• RMweb Premium

Trouble with the middle of nowhere (especially in Wales) is that it's a long way from anywhere - including Tesco (and most other supermarkets).

Yeah

Edit......just had a thought, the nearest Pie and Mash shop going to be days away :swoon: :swoon:

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Two things Clive,

Firstly re moving to Wales, there is a little known By Law in Wales that says Eastern Region Locos must NOT set foot in the Country. (and that was the good news, now for the bad news).

Secondly if you move near to Bala, not only will you BENIFIT from a proper Railway near by, the Llangollen at Carog, but ALSO I can visit when I come down to Bala twice a year.

When Mrs M says middle of nowhere Wales, she is talking Lampeter.....that sort of middle of nowhere Wales.

As for Eastern Region N-Gins, like all immigrants I will be taking some of my culture to share with the locals. :sungum: Anyhow they won't know anything about my GER electric units I am building, mind you neither do the railway enthusiast round here. :nono:   

We do have a head start on most English people moving to Wales, Mrs M has a very Welsh first name.....not too many ladies called Carys from Billericay. :no: :no:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

What is it with Wales?

When our youngest finishes school, my wife wants to move to the middle of nowhere in Wales.............................

Hi Peter

Has your lovely lady made the priorities for the new accommodation as follows,

How much grazing is there for the horses?,

What is their stable like?

How big is the new manshed so "I can lose him apart from when he is needed to shift something heavy"?

Then the house. As for the house, all come with at least a living room for the telly, and a kitchen. It doesn't matter how big the kitchen is she will never cook any better.  When comes to any bedroom, once you are horizontal and your eyes are closed do you notice how big it is?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Don't worry, you just do a 'nearest branch' search and it will tell you there is one in Ilfracombe and another in Bangor (NI)!

Paul.

Clive,

Think the idea is that we eventually downsize (do we really need four toilets?). Get a small house but with enough room outside to erect a large shed to house all my railway junk etc.)

Do Houses in Wales have TOILETS yet? hahhaha

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When Slaati Blartvast was engaged to plan the world I think he intended most of Wales for visiting not residing....

Could just about cope with living in Monmouth though.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Could just about cope with living in Monmouth though.

Phil

That's probably because of the ambiguity of whether it was still in Wales or had been annexed by England. Fortuitously, as someone forgot to include the traditional parliamentary wording of "Wales and Monmouthshire' the Sunday Closing Act of 1881 apparently did not apply to the county. It's status was finally clarified in 1972.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Peeps

Just before Xmas we thought we were on the move, then our buyer pulled out. So at the moment we are off the market and still not sure if we will put it up for sale in spring. Mrs M is talking of staying now.

Which means I have not done anything on Sheffield Exchange for ages, half the point rodding has been broken off where the baseboards have been used as a junk table. Easily repaired and I did pick up a pack of the Wills stuff from John Dutfield's Model Railways. I have been giving the layout some thought, the idea of having it in a cutting still appeals but the concept of the station building being higher up and the passengers having to go down a stair way to access the platforms has always bothered me. So the idea now is to have cutting from the fiddle yard to the station at the back, slowly getting lower as it reaches the end of the layout so the station building is at the same level as the platforms. The front will reach "rail level" at the loco siding. 

This leaves me the area in front of the station to do something with, and I am not sure what as yet. I did ponder the idea of a parcels bay line, but that would include another point and the signalling will need modifying. Then I thought a  parcels platform on the other side of the track on platform 1. On second thoughts that might look silly and no way could I leave a few vans down there as they would make platform 1 unusable. Next idea is for gardens/allotments/playing field backing on to the line with a footpath between them and the railway fence.  I don't want to put something that is going to be too high blocking the view of the station.

I have been pretty good at resisting buying stuff for Exchange, well it now has its green BR class 5, and a B1 (and another Black Five). I keep getting tempted by a 4F in the above shop. I have been pretty good and not brought any more coaches or DMUs for it for a very very long time. I keep thinking I must order a TPO stowage van ( Southern Pride) to go with the sorting van. And cannot wait for the Stanier mogul to hit the shops. 

I am feeling quite positive now about restarting work on the Exchange.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Clive,

Think the idea is that we eventually downsize (do we really need four toilets?). Get a small house but with enough room outside to erect a large shed to house all my railway junk etc.)

Four toilets at the new location:
  • Upstairs in the new house.
  • Downstairs in the new house.
  • One end of the large shed/railway room.
  • The other end of the large shed/railway room.
You will use all four of them. Trust me on this. Edited by Budgie

• RMweb Premium

Four toilets at the new location:

• Upstairs in the new house.
  • Downstairs in the new house.
  • One end of the large shed/railway room.
  • The other end of the large shed/railway room.
You will use all four of them. Trust me on this.

All my threads seem to eventually go down the pan :O  :O  :O 

Just caught up with this thread about a move. Well 7 years ago we moved the other way. I have to sy it was the best move we did. We lived in West Wales for 23years my Wife was even born and bread there so was a local. However we where never accepted as being local in all that time. Much better this side of the channel.

Keith HC

• RMweb Premium

Just caught up with this thread about a move. Well 7 years ago we moved the other way. I have to sy it was the best move we did. We lived in West Wales for 23years my Wife was even born and bread there so was a local. However we where never accepted as being local in all that time. Much better this side of the channel.

Keith HC

Hi Keith

We have only lived in Little Waltham for 25 years, and we are still not accepted. The local families, the ones that have been in the village longer than us are great, they will stop and have a good old chin wag. Even their teenage kids and grandchildren say hello. It is the incomers who look down their noses. Incomers (mainly London commuters) outnumber locals.