Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Tonight's music comes from a band that Colin Parks was in. Colin died 24th February this year. For those who didn't look at Colin's modelling threads please do, his EMUs are the best I have seen modelled. He wasn't too bad a guitarist either. 

RIP Colin.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I might be a full Luddite but I can do all want to do with DC, have trains running and shunt at the same time.

I'm completely with you on this Clive.

When DCC Sound can replicate not just the diesel idling, releasing the brakes and pulling away but also:

• the sound of the driver shouting out of the window to his mate who supports a rival football team
  • the variety of traffic passing in the street which overlooks the railway
  • passengers talking on a station platform 
  • a dog barking in the distance
  • the footsteps on ballast of a railwayman in the yard
  • a gentle breeze rustling nearby trees

...then I might get interested.

The one and only layout on which I was impressed by its use of sound was a WW1 NG military railway, at Ally Pally last year.  It had the sounds of birdsong and distant gunfire, but I'm not sure the trains had any sound at all.  It didn't need them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Mike for that lovely photo. Not only sunshine but a handsome engine.

Have you seen the thread on the Bachmann Peaks where people keep saying why hasn't Bachmann done a sealed beam nose. Do some modelling , it is fun and rewarding.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Cheers Mike for that lovely photo. Not only sunshine but a handsome engine.

Have you seen the thread on the Bachmann Peaks where people keep saying why hasn't Bachmann done a sealed beam nose. Do some modelling , it is fun and rewarding.

It could have been D1575, but I thought better of it!!!!

Through the history of Peak bodies there are already 5 dimensionally different versions out there, and that's ignoring body styles, so, as you say, do some modelling, another option is not needed!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Supposed to be tidying up the train room for the VIP guest tommora, can't be ar$ed. Instead I am watching the Transpennine dashing around and another unit  whizzing the other way. 

Hold that thought, I may have another train to hand if I remember in the morning...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I just went to change my signature, apparently the changes meant it took up too many lines.

So does the old one but it is still in use. Very confused.

To us Luddites Clive this new set up is a law unto itself, it took me three attempts to post that last picture, none of which bore any resemblance to the previous, (simpler IMHO), way.

I feel your pain!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I just went to change my signature, apparently the changes meant it took up too many lines.

So does the old one but it is still in use. Very confused.

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

To us Luddites Clive this new set up is a law unto itself, it took me three attempts to post that last picture, none of which bore any resemblance to the previous, (simpler IMHO), way.

I feel your pain!

Mike.

Andy Y has to do mine Clive, as I too am over the limit allowed.^_^

Also I DON'T LIKE the new Topics followed, a quick look in this morning, and I had forgotten that it shows the first bit of the New Entry, I DID NOT want to know the F1 results until later, I quickly flicked off the screen before actually taking in what was there.

AND whilst in RANT MODE, where has the list of who is on line and looking at what gone from the bottom of the Home Page?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Andy Y has to do mine Clive, as I too am over the limit allowed.^_^

Also I DON'T LIKE the new Topics followed, a quick look in this morning, and I had forgotten that it shows the first bit of the New Entry, I DID NOT want to know the F1 results until later, I quickly flicked off the screen before actually taking in what was there.

AND whilst in RANT MODE, where has the list of who is on line and looking at what gone from the bottom of the Home Page?

And who is staring at my layout thread at the bottom of each thread.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

And who is staring at my layout thread at the bottom of each thread.

Yes indeed young man.

I think we need to start a National Action Group to return us to normality. 

Forum Action Return Table Status, or F.A.R.T.S for short.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I had forgotten that it shows the first bit of the New Entry, I DID NOT want to know the F1 results until later  

Morning Mr P.  Know what you mean about getting it set up how you want: although not a geeky geek, I’m not a Luddite either and I struggle a bit.

A suggestion that might help: on my current set up at the top right of the list is “Condensed/Expended”. Expanded shows the first lines of the post, condensed doesn’t.  It is possible to save these personalised settings; I can’t remember how I did it (!) but there is a “Create new stream” button at the bottom of  “My Activity Streams” in the top bar and I think I used that.

HTH,  Paul.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Morning Mr P.  Know what you mean about getting it set up how you want: although not a geeky geek, I’m not a Luddite either and I struggle a bit.

A suggestion that might help: on my current set up at the top right of the list is “Condensed/Expended”. Expanded shows the first lines of the post, condensed doesn’t.  It is possible to save these personalised settings; I can’t remember how I did it (!) but there is a “Create new stream” button at the bottom of  “My Activity Streams” in the top bar and I think I used that.

HTH,  Paul.

Thanks Paul, I will give that a try, Cheers mate.

5 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

HTH,  Paul.

1 minute ago, Andrew P said:

Thanks Paul, I will give that a try, Cheers mate.

DONE and it seems to be just what I need, Cheers again,:good:

Just need some lumps of coal to bring back the names at the bottom of the threads and the Home Page.

Come Guys, that was both useful and interesting.

• RMweb Gold

I think there are some gremlins at the moment, so Andy is temporarily hiding sections in order to isolate and fix.

I'm sure it will a be sorted soon.

Anyway, there's the Grand Slam to win later.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Yes indeed young man.

I think we need to start a National Action Group to return us to normality. 

Forum Action Return Table Status, or F.A.R.T.S for short.

I guess that should have been the, Old Layout Disorder Forum Action Table Status, or O.L.D.F.A.R.T.S. for short.:yahoo:

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I had a visitation from Map AKA Satan's Goldfish today. We had a blue peak with some Reggie Rail coaches, an HST, an A4 with Pullmans, and a steel train pulled by class 20s in some odd liveries.

Loads of operator errors but at times we got things right. The best part we enjoyed the day. 

Map even took some moving pictures which I hope he can show us on his 8mm cine projector.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I had a visitation from Map AKA Satan's Goldfish today. We had a blue peak with some Reggie Rail coaches, an HST, an A4 with Pullmans, and a steel train pulled by class 20s in some odd liveries.

Loads of operator errors but at times we got things right. The best part we enjoyed the day. 

Map even took some moving pictures which I hope he can show us on his 8mm cine projector.

Wondered where you'd got to,:pilot: thought you might have gone out Orse S**t shifting or some equally unpleasant task.:dance: