Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Sad thing I won't be around to see how popular the news of me popping me clocks will be. :scratchhead:

How does one "pop a clock"? Is it a Great Eastern thing?

On people's names. When I worked at the Department of Education & Science (as it was called in my day), the head of statistics was one K G Forecast. Honest.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jazzer said:

A surgeon called Dr Death ? Really ? Almost as bad as the urologist at St Andrew’s Hospital Billericay Dr James Riddle ( Jimmy Riddle - geddit ? ) :D

Hi Jazzer

That must have been some time ago St Andrews became a Regional Burns and Plastic Surgery unit in 1982, and then moved to Broomfield in 1998 when I joined the plastic surgery hand injury ward.

I did work with a doctor called De'Ath, a surgeon called Mr Pane, both Dr Bone and Dr Blood passed trough my journey in nursing. A gastroenterologist called Dr Swallow was another one that comes to mind. 

At 10 Fld Wks when I was in the army we had a weapons artificer call Sergeant Major Gunn, the company office was run by Sergeant Clarke, breakfast was always better when Corporal Cook of the Aldershot Cement Company Army Catering Corps was on duty and Paddy Coates working in the quartermasters clothing store. Honest.

Ben Gunn was a great bloke to work with, he would always pick me to go with him if we were inspecting another units guns. I learnt a lot from him.  As for Paddy Coates, he did like a beer or two many.

• Like 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

On people's names. When I worked at the Department of Education & Science (as it was called in my day), the head of statistics was one K G Forecast. Honest.

Whoops "pop me clogs."

2 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Hi Peter,

Perhaps Clive has got one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Simpsons-Inflatable-Homer-Donut-Wall-Clock-1999-Tested-and-working/174707634307?hash=item28ad62f083:g:nP4AAOSwKIBfv6oc

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

It's called Nominative Determinism, where instead of getting your name from your profession (e.g. Baker, Butcher), your name seems to draw you to a certain profession.  Hence why brothers called Swindells set up an accountancy firm and a Mr Leaky started a boat-builders.  

Is that why there used to be a “ turf accountants “ in Hull called Robin Banks and a Dentist in Ilford named Mr Pulham ?

I used to know a retired orthopaedic surgeon, Mr A. Kennard Mitting , who always bought a bottle of local whisky wherever he went,  especially those with odd names. I met him for a drink in his hotel room in Leeds month and asked what I would like to drink, some “Sheep Dip” or some “Old Peiss”. I settled for a beer !

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well something happened tonight on the train set. I got the new diesel yard working. :locomotive:

I managed to reverse the wires on the self latching relays that change the frog polarity on two of the three new points. Soon sorted. I didn't make a big enough hole for one of the slide switches so it wouldn't send excited electrons to one of the sidings, again soon sorted. :boast:

Photos and maybe a video when I have removed the tools and cable drums off the layout. :clapping:

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

I meant to add tonight's video

Not sure if these have featured on this thread yet, the line up changed several times but this was one of the better ones and sadly when they toured the UK the army thought it a good idea for me to play soldiers on Salisbury Plain and miss D.A.M.

Sun reporter "Mrs Kennedy did you enjoy the drive?"

• Like 1

On the toy train front, glad to see forward progress being made. Self improvement or modelling improvement is a never ending quest, because as you get better at it so your standards are raised.

On the theological digression, I do love asking them a few questions. Why when God said make no effigies, is not using the symbolism of Christ on the cross just a way round that to encourage the superstitious I'll educated pesants to worship the symbol, as they could not read to was a easy symbol for them to follow.

Why did Christianity only this off in Europe after the Catholic church included the bit about the ruller of a country being the ruller under God. Therefore the ruller was automatically backed by the Catholic church me could o of be disposed by someone else recognised by said church. This helped boost the church power.

Why does Christ look like a European male, almost Roman. If he came from the eastern area of the med, wouldn't he have been more Mediterranean.

And a fun question to ask is " if God is all powerful, can be make a rock too heavy for himself to lift?".

And as for my loggin. I have always worked lates. When it can to break, you had the choice of whatever had been stewing all day, or a cheesy burger that was at least cooked whilst you waited.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jazzer said:

There is a Jimmy Buffett song called “ Fruitcakes” ( basically about the human race) which starts off by saying the cosmic baker took us all out of the oven too early, and that’s why we are such crazy mixed up people. Perhaps we ought to leave the discussion there and get back to toy trains !

I'll stick with Margaritaville.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

The Fire Engineering expert at a company I used to work for was a Mr Woodburn.

• Funny 2

53 minutes ago, john new said:

When I lived in York circa 1980 there was a butcher’s shop on Burton Stone Lane called C Hopcut and a joiners (in Gillygate IIRC) run by A Buckle & Son.

And let’s not forget the Locomotive Superintendent of the Maryport and Carlisle Railway in the 1870’s , Hugh Smellie :lol:

I can still remember the sniggering in the school Railway Society the first time we heard his name mentioned 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

I get the impression things started to get serious yesterday.

I have a simple set of rules about railway modelling,

1, You must like watching toy trains running.

2, You must like making models.

3, You must like researching stuff about trains.

4, You must like seeing what others make.

5, You must accept that others have their own taste in music but will never be as good as your own.

6, there is no rule six.

7, You must have fun with your toy trains.

Plus don't forget the first amendment, don't mention the railway from Bandit Country, fine 10 p in swear box.

Now some serious modelling

005.jpg.4674d5eb43f2cc72b3971c7b08fbd178.jpg

The three new points and new sidings.

002.jpg.aaeea815ccc83714bb5c801552c5e28b.jpg

A better over view of the revised diesel yard

004.jpg.b41a95872a676400f7b828e01704fd82.jpg

And from the other end. An experiment in taking a photo using the selfie side of the camera as I cannot get into that location and see the target.

And now some with trains on them.

008.jpg.418c1d069fa0233dedc5d0c0c89807b1.jpg

009.jpg.9fcbe151803cd05dde82edf7c25ff097.jpg

010.jpg.5ee8d4625dabaf63ac4a8624d3397e4c.jpg

I did a really good video but I don't seem to be able to upload it to You Tube or transfer it to this puter. So Bobbie is going to sort it out for me as there seems a few other things, which I never knew existed, wrong as well.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
Just now, St Enodoc said:

The old Tri-ang one? Me too!

Ah! I had one of them, it went green and forms one half of the pair with the gangways connected and front doors open.

100_5064a.jpg.beb7b274b74f28e50e14dfa1e8dc52f0.jpg

100_5163d.jpg.12bdbbc2dcbebf6970a675ac0b57fae1.jpg

Mine is an Airfix one repainted.

005a.jpg.dbdefb95b42a69bfa1ac7d7242c751b2.jpg

This is a Tri-ang model, I had 2 apparently, repainted to get rid of the white lines, which I started to upgrade before we moved. Twin Hornby Rigfield motors, side frames will be modified to look like class 31s.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Ah! I had one of them, it went green and forms one half of the pair with the gangways connected and front doors open.

100_5064a.jpg.beb7b274b74f28e50e14dfa1e8dc52f0.jpg

100_5163d.jpg.12bdbbc2dcbebf6970a675ac0b57fae1.jpg

Mine is an Airfix one repainted.

005a.jpg.dbdefb95b42a69bfa1ac7d7242c751b2.jpg

This is a Tri-ang model, I had 2 apparently, repainted to get rid of the white lines, which I started to upgrade before we moved. Twin Hornby Rigfield motors, side frames will be modified to look like class 31s.

Hi , Clive

Is there any record of class 31’s running with the gangways connected in service ? Apart from the fact that it gives the 31’ s an interesting front end I cant really see the point of them . Surely they didn’t envisage medium power range diesels to be having non stop journeys requiring a crew change mid - Journey ?

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Hi , Clive

Is there any record of class 31’s running with the gangways connected in service ? Apart from the fact that it gives the 31’ s an interesting front end I cant really see the point of them . Surely they didn’t envisage medium power range diesels to be having non stop journeys requiring a crew change mid - Journey ?

The concept of being able to go from one loco to another when  coupled in multiple working comes from the old steam loco practice of the loco attached to the train when doubleheaded supplied the steam to heat the carriages. The idea was to enable the fireman access to the train heating boiler in the rear loco.

I now what you are thinking, "Why not use the front locos boiler?" Well so did someone else and that is what happened. Hence later classes not having the drafty front doors.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

Was not the point of the gangway doors to access the steam heat generator (not going to call it a boiler) because BR never specified a shut valve to enable the front loco to supply the steam? Although. considering how unreliable the steam generators were, access would be needed anyway.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

DSCF0011.JPG.36a9f56f718dc59f9156577f3b961223.JPG

This may get me thrown out of the clive cut `n` shut club, but i have just had a spring clean of my workbench.

This includes a wipe down. Any odd bits of plastic/offcuts etc that could not be identified what it is for has been binned. Different bits for different projects have been placed back into the appropriate boxes. It will not look that clean for long, as stuff will make its way back (not going to show the half of the dining room table covered in what came off lol).

I do recommend this to everyone, we need a clean workbench for April the 1st. I even found a set of files and my chisel blade under everything, including some things i will say i didnt remember them being there (better than saying i forgot).

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

Was not the point of the gangway doors to access the steam heat generator (not going to call it a boiler) because BR never specified a shut valve to enable the front loco to supply the steam? Although. considering how unreliable the steam generators were, access would be needed anyway.

Hi Cheesy

Could be, all I know they were an expensive item so that the fireman could service the kettle in the rear loco.