Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

10 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Grab a Granny night at the Crosville Club in Crewe. Close contact entertainment with the ladies all evening ;) then dodging their husbands outside afterwards.

Then there was Thursday night in the Pink Coconut at Derby during courses at the Railway Engineering School.

Hi There,

Ha ! Grab a Granny !?!?

The problem with this phrase is that just about all of us are now quite a bit older than any of those then grannies. Worse still women that may be termed Modal Inter-Logistical Freight are of a similar age to my daughter.

Gibbo.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, APOLLO said:

Another pub, another lock in - big front door shut and locked. We asked the barmaid to open the door at 2am - Can't - landlord has the key and he's over there fast asleep -

The landlord at the Globe in Crewe told us at our first lock-in there that when we wanted to leave just go out into the back yard, through the gate at the end. go along the alley and you will be in the next street.

Another lock-in pub in Nantwich the landlord called last orders then continued serving. When asked one night it it was OK to stay on for another pint he replied "I've put the towels on the pumps but they don't stop the beer from coming out of the pipe"

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Dave,

Any one that is familiar with the ex railway houses at Irwell Vale on the ELR will know that the upstairs bedroom windows are at a similar level to window level of a passing train.

Picture the scene, early autumn dining train drifting down hill at dusk, bedroom light on, couple on bed "busy" shall we say,........... a quick toot on the whistle and a pair of seriously red faces.

I wasn't loco crew that evening but we all had a good laugh about it when told. It became quite a thing to blow the whistle when passing on a dining train just as a reminder.

Gibbo.

Down side at Long Eaton...

• RMweb Premium

Nuff of this reminiscing of past conquest.

Thanks Gibbo for the clip from Kes. It was a book we had to read for CSE and one of the few books I have ever enjoyed reading. It also sparked an interest in kestrels. And I liked the film.

Saturday.jpg.8be61ad8dfbf51d7b51ae8d729b2a098.jpg

Adult and chick in a natural nest. Unfortunately the tree was blown over in a storm a couple of years after I took this photo. I helped my mate put a nest box on another tree in the meadow, it was successful until I moved away. My mate recons its my fault.

024.JPG.72e887b55bceee636cd0f74bd8d61124.JPG

One the nest box chicks learning to fly.

Nearly finished the wiring for the new improved diesel loco yard. All the points work and the blades go ping to the correct side. All the wires are in on the control panel, just need to feed the ones for the track to the other side of the baseboard and solder them to the rails.

Bit of Russian culture tonight

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Regrettably, there were few conquests but, as a friend often said, it was fun trying.

It was said, in my bit of Sheffield at least, that if you failed on grab a granny night your only hope of getting a woman was The Salvation Army, as one of my mates could confirm!

Mike.

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

It was said, in my bit of Sheffield at least, that if you failed on grab a granny night your only hope of getting a woman was The Salvation Army, as one of my mates could confirm!

Mike.

Hi Mike,

That news has left me quite cold for just the other day I received a hand written letter from the Jehovah's Witness' :

414291087_DSCF14291.JPG.3bbcede819546a745c92499329a908a1.JPG

Gibbo.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

My cousin married a lady from a Jehovah Witness family and converted to that faith. He died in his late 30s from leukemia. at the time I was working for the National Blood Service and donations we received from those willing to give an armfull were saving people with leukemia lives.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Nuff of this reminiscing of past conquest.

Thanks Gibbo for the clip from Kes. It was a book we had to read for CSE and one of the few books I have ever enjoyed reading. It also sparked an interest in kestrels. And I liked the film.

Saturday.jpg.8be61ad8dfbf51d7b51ae8d729b2a098.jpg

Adult and chick in a natural nest. Unfortunately the tree was blown over in a storm a couple of years after I took this photo. I helped my mate put a nest box on another tree in the meadow, it was successful until I moved away. My mate recons its my fault.

024.JPG.72e887b55bceee636cd0f74bd8d61124.JPG

One the nest box chicks learning to fly.

Nearly finished the wiring for the new improved diesel loco yard. All the points work and the blades go ping to the correct side. All the wires are in on the control panel, just need to feed the ones for the track to the other side of the baseboard and solder them to the rails.

Bit of Russian culture tonight

Hi Clive,

Kes is a true tragedy of those that are subject to a miserable life due to a lack of love and support of a good family, having no true friends, the effects of bullies and the ambivalence of state institutions, Poor Casper.

Great photos of the kestrels and I liked the video.

Gibbo.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

DSCF0009.JPG.27fc9ab4e259c158a2922ab3cc60d429.JPG

DSCF0008.JPG.ce632705b95a284d20084e85253be3cb.JPG

A little railway related post. I am messing round with a Lima 31, using mazac rot victim. And I thought this photo would show the very slight difference in the two bodies.

If you notice, there is a very slight difference, due to the fact Hornby managed to miss some of the VERY slight curves in the body. Just look where the yellow ends are. This is just due to the curve across the cab front. Same looking at the sides from front on.

Putting mazac bits into a Lima body/chassis is a lot cheaper way of getting a good ped.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

The only Kestrel I was ever interested in !!

image.png.c2b97c7dd1a2c3008fa4373abcbab807.png

And, to me, the nicest looking diesel loco ever made.

Brit15

Another family story.

Cricklewood open day  1969. Kestrel was on display. There steps leading up to the cabs so people could enter one end walk through the engine room and come out the other end. Dad, my brother and I got into the cab and no one was going anywhere so Dad suggested we got out and went and looked at something else. My brother stepped out the opposite door to which we came in, only to find there wasn't a set of steps and the ballast was a long way down. :blackeye:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

A little railway related post. I am messing round with a Lima 31, using mazac rot victim. And I thought this photo would show the very slight difference in the two bodies.

If you notice, there is a very slight difference, due to the fact Hornby managed to miss some of the VERY slight curves in the body. Just look where the yellow ends are. This is just due to the curve across the cab front. Same looking at the sides from front on.

Putting mazac bits into a Lima body/chassis is a lot cheaper way of getting a good ped.

Is this post offensive......Soft white and thick........?

Hi Cheesy

I agree about the Hornby class 31 not being as good as the Lima Brush 2. Having had a go at scratch building a Type 2 there are very few flat surfaces, an example is the tapper of the cabs. Most classes this a straight line from the cab door to the fillet curve where the side meets the front. On a Brush it has a very slight curve cab door to front and at the same time in curves down from the cab windows to the bottom.

having said Hornby missed the subtle curves they added one to the roof, the real things, Tri-ang, Airfix and Lima have a nearly flat section along the middle of the roof. The Hornby roof is a continuous curve.  Had someone at Margate thrown away the old Tri-ang drawings despite its crudeness the 1960's model has a better shape.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Mike,

That news has left me quite cold for just the other day I received a hand written letter from the Jehovah's Witness' :

People in my local area are reporting a similar handwritten letter, there must be hordes of JWs writing them - it seems a more Amish way of communication though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cheesysmith said:

Looks like they are mating in a snake sort of way.........errrrrrr

P

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

People in my local area are reporting a similar handwritten letter, there must be hordes of JWs writing them - it seems a more Amish way of communication though.

Part of their routine as they can't go door to door to meet face to face. I have no interest, but they have bottle doing their rounds. So a handwritten letter is actually quite a nice idea IMO.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I was chatting to a customer and his dad one day when one of the wandering missionary gangs knocked on the door. His dad said I will answer it. I thought this would be good as he was a lecturer in philosophy. All he said was "At the moment it is a waste of time trying to have a chat as you are  very strong believers. When you have doubts please come and talk to me about how you are feeling." They stood there with goldfish faces. He then said "Thank for calling" and shut the door.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold

As  an Irish friend of mine said a few years ago - you know you are getting old when the older women are your age.

To be honest nowadays they are younger!

Edited by john new
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

37 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Part of their routine as they can't go door to door to meet face to face. I have no interest, but they have bottle doing their rounds. So a handwritten letter is actually quite a nice idea IMO.

Hi Mallard

When I was an apprentice one of the chaps lived on his own and used to let one of the JW's in for tea and a chat, his ulterior motive being that said JW's daughter that accompanied him was rather good looking. When said attractive girl went off to university the door became somehow "stuck" and would not any longer open.

By way of linking another recent theme this was in 1988 and she would be of a similar age to myself and therefore may be diversifying her operations from Modal Inter-Logistical Freight to  Global-International Logistical Freight.

As for a third theme, like the avatar.

Gibbo.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

27 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I was chatting to a customer and his dad one day when one of the wandering missionary gangs knocked on the door. His dad said I will answer it. I thought this would be good as he was a lecturer in philosophy. All he said was "At the moment it is a waste of time trying to have a chat as you are  very strong believers. When you have doubts please come and talk to me about how you are feeling." They stood there with goldfish faces. He then said "Thank for calling" and shut the door.

Hi Clive,

I quote from the King James Bible and then ask very awkward questions about the various passages that they would rather not answer, I sometimes explain the question, better yet I explain the answer to them.

The best bit is to ask them if they know what King James' other book was called, for those that don't know it is Demonologie and it is all about witch craft. I ought to get a copy, have a good read and perhaps offer to lend it to them as they tell me that my soul could be saved if I read the Bible, which proves that they were not listening in the first place !!!

Gibbo.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, cheesysmith said:

soft white thick, no, that is my breakfast lol.

yorkshire farmers potted meat, from morrisons, the type that has the fat layer on top from when it sets, just like propper dripping.

Proper potted meat butties.
Have to use white sliced bread and a bit of butter, if you can afford it.
I LOVE good potted meat.
Thursday was GaG night at the Ritz in Manchester.
AH memories.:lol::lol:

• Like 3