Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

30 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

DSCF0011.JPG.36a9f56f718dc59f9156577f3b961223.JPG

This may get me thrown out of the clive cut `n` shut club, but i have just had a spring clean of my workbench.

This includes a wipe down. Any odd bits of plastic/offcuts etc that could not be identified what it is for has been binned. Different bits for different projects have been placed back into the appropriate boxes. It will not look that clean for long, as stuff will make its way back (not going to show the half of the dining room table covered in what came off lol).

I do recommend this to everyone, we need a clean workbench for April the 1st. I even found a set of files and my chisel blade under everything, including some things i will say i didnt remember them being there (better than saying i forgot).

Hi Dave,

I tidied up my work bench so thoroughly last month that nothing at all has happened modelling wise since. I'm not sure that this is a good or a bad thing. Usually after a tidy up I decide that I shall have no more than two or three projects on the go at once. This kind of scheme only lasts about a week if I'm lucky for there is always something else to do that is more interesting up to the point that my bench ends up looking like Steptoe's Yard in short order.

I have been using my down time to contemplate how I might be able to concentrate on just a small number of projects without leaving stuff nearly started for several years before looking at it and placing it back into the box and nearly starting another project. I think he only tangible positive is that I finished off sorting my bathroom out with the exception of, and don't tell Clive, painting it.

Gibbo.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi All

I get the impression things started to get serious yesterday.

Hi Clive,

Mercury did make square aspect to both Mars and the North Node within the last week.

Gibbo.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

Mercury did make square aspect to both Mars and the North Node within the last week.

Gibbo.

Whizzzzzzzz right over me 'ead.

Anyhow what have Mars bars got to do with model trains?

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

9 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Whizzzzzzzz right over me 'ead.

Anyhow what have Mars bars got to do with model trains?

Hi Clive,

You marshal Mars Bars on 20ton plate wagons between the Wheatabix and Kit-Kat wagons on your Hornby trainset.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

You missed the meeting Clive;

FB_IMG_1616855757017.jpg.3ebf0215f32308bd5dccafe813466a25.jpg

Yo Map

Now you have upset me, they are from the Black Watch. We had to share a camp with them in Belize. Thankfully not the whole battalion but the ones staying with us were the pipe band.

When our troop of gunners arrived in Belize we were stationed in the south with a Gurkha battalion, who had a pipe band. They spent most of the time when not playing soldiers in the States playing gigs.

Our troop was moved to a camp in the north where the Royal Scots Greys had a troop of Scorpion tanks. One of their chaps was in their pipe band, thankfully the only one. He was an Australian, but then many Scottish units were recruiting people with Scottish ancestry from the former colonies. 

The Greys left as did the Sherwood Foresters, to be replaced with a Hussar unit and the Black Watch. Now the Gurkha's all practiced together and didn't sound too bad, Blue (why are all Auzzies in the British Forces called Blue?) was by himself and again not too bad when he gave them a blow. When you get 20 plus blokes strangling a cat each and playing different tunes with them at the same time it makes a diesel depot layout with all DCC sound fitted models sound quite pleasant.

• Like 4
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The concept of being able to go from one loco to another when  coupled in multiple working comes from the old steam loco practice of the loco attached to the train when doubleheaded supplied the steam to heat the carriages. The idea was to enable the fireman access to the train heating boiler in the rear loco.

I now what you are thinking, "Why not use the front locos boiler?" Well so did someone else and that is what happened. Hence later classes not having the drafty front doors.

Ah that makes sense now. The LMR diesels were still in service when the 31’s were designed so I guess Brush just followed the practice of front doors. I think I was confused by seeing pictures of the LMR diesels in tandem struggling with the Royal Scot and I assumed they were for ER type crew changes on non stoppers although in reality they always stopped at Carlisle .

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Yo Map

Now you have upset me, they are from the Black Watch. We had to share a camp with them in Belize. Thankfully not the whole battalion but the ones staying with us were the pipe band.

When our troop of gunners arrived in Belize we were stationed in the south with a Gurkha battalion, who had a pipe band. They spent most of the time when not playing soldiers in the States playing gigs.

Our troop was moved to a camp in the north where the Royal Scots Greys had a troop of Scorpion tanks. One of their chaps was in their pipe band, thankfully the only one. He was an Australian, but then many Scottish units were recruiting people with Scottish ancestry from the former colonies. 

The Greys left as did the Sherwood Foresters, to be replaced with a Hussar unit and the Black Watch. Now the Gurkha's all practiced together and didn't sound too bad, Blue (why are all Auzzies in the British Forces called Blue?) was by himself and again not too bad when he gave them a blow. When you get 20 plus blokes strangling a cat each and playing different tunes with them at the same time it makes a diesel depot layout with all DCC sound fitted models sound quite pleasant.

Why does a Deltic have Scorpion tanks?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

DMU undergear.

How many hours do you spend examining hundreds of photos just to work out what boxes are what on a DMU underframe?

Then find out the funny little boxes on one picture were actually part of the heater. With fuel tank behind.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Got a bit side tracked this evening, well on the DEMU forum there has been some chat about Hudswell-Clark shunters. So me being me joined in with a picture of the two I started to build. They have not had a run in donkey's years and had seized up. A good douse of WD40, a run to see if they freed up and then a good oil and a run to get the oil in the right places, good fun. 

002.JPG.818c454895031313a81d0b9a3c337600.JPG

Never know before I say good bye to the world I might be tempted to finish these and the rest of my shunter fleet....coaches and DMUs first cos they fit the train set.

Here is a tune by a good fun band. They did cause a stir calling themselves the B52s, the USAF weren't happy. They pointed out it was a reference to the hair styles the ladies wore on stage. And this song got the Lindbergh family all upset, well he did side with the Nazi's but again they pointed out they were on about a smelly cheese, Limburger.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

My current listening.

May not be to everyone's taste.

Mike.

Hi Mike

Thank you for your contribution.

I must remind myself of the rules. Rule five comes into play here, :music:

5, You must accept that others have their own taste in music but will never be as good as your own.:dancing:

While thinking of the rules the "Rules Committee" has been in discussion regarding Cheesy's clean workbench. Are clean and tidy work benches allowed as we have heard form Gibbo regarding the lack of Mojo since he tidied his up. Therefore are clean workbenches allowed will be put out for consultation before it is decided they are not.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Therefore are clean workbenches allowed will be put out for consultation before it is decided they are not.

Not in my house they aren't!  Actually I must tidy mine up.  I've got a space the size of a postage stamp to work in now.

Trouble is, with it being untidy things are always handy.  Want a bit of brass strip?  There's an old etch under here.  Want a bit of 20 thou plasticard?  There'll be some under this lot.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6

In my defence, i will point out i did actually find a set of files and a set of non sprung bogie etches i didnt know were there. I knew i had them somewhere, just not buried under everything else.

And due to this, it has allowed me to carry on with my bog carts, just need undercoat again to see how far i have got left to go in the rub `n` fill cycle.

• Like 3

My workbench is also required for silly things like Sunday dinner when my good lady decides the occasion demands, but I do push my luck most of the time. I need things to hand, particularly when the train set is being worked on. This also causes the odd issue as she also likes to use the kitchen, my use being a little out of keeping it seems.:dontknow:

I did recently clear out my toolbox, found several things I'd forgotten about, like a small reamer set I don't think I've ever used ("just use a bigger drill"). All the frequent use stuff has now disappeared to the bottom of course so I really do wonder if clearing out the toolbox every 10 years is worthwhile?:scratch_one-s_head_mini:

• Like 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

IMG_20210127_140641.jpg.a181652e5b412eef51944e1210a47085.jpg

My answer to the cluttered workbench was to expand in size from the one seen in the foreground to the one in the background, (seen prior to being topped with plywood) to give me more elbow room/working area and a north light window.

It was a great idea for a week or so, but the new one is now as badly cluttered as the original one, but with an even greater volume of rammel, making it even more difficult to find anything.

I reckon the only way round it is an A4 cutting mat on a tea tray with a strict rule of no expansion.

Mike.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

7 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

IMG_20210127_140641.jpg.a181652e5b412eef51944e1210a47085.jpg

My answer to the cluttered workbench was to expand in size from the one seen in the foreground to the one in the background, (seen prior to being topped with plywood) to give me more elbow room/working area and a north light window.

It was a great idea for a week or so, but the new one is now as badly cluttered as the original one, but with an even greater volume of rammel, making it even more difficult to find anything.

I reckon the only way round it is an A4 cutting mat on a tea tray with a strict rule of no expansion.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Why don't we all have a competition to see who has the most the most cluttered workbench. First prize could be a goodly sized shoe box for all the useful stuff and a sturdy bin bag for all the rubbish.

Here is my entrant:

DSCF0911.JPG.71046a510dd25e277ad3c4c24abcf471.JPG

Only 33 container boxes, 7 Pullman cars, a Frieghtliner caboose and a class 83. The Pullmans are unfortunately part of my overly extensive "Nearly Started" collection.

Gibbo.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Mike,

Why don't we all have a competition to see who has the most the most cluttered workbench. First prize could be a goodly sized shoe box for all the useful stuff and a sturdy bin bag for all the rubbish.

Here is my entrant:

DSCF0911.JPG.71046a510dd25e277ad3c4c24abcf471.JPG

Only 33 container boxes, 7 Pullman cars, a Frieghtliner caboose and a class 83. The Pullmans are unfortunately part of my overly extensive "Nearly Started" collection.

Gibbo.

Rubbish, you're not even playing at it, some of the workbench is visible!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

My workbench.

002.JPG.852b09db369fa3489d543d0053911d0c.JPG

Somewhere under that lot is a part built Judith Edge kit of an LMS jackshaft drive shunter.

My work area on the layout by Doncaster Junction.

004.JPG.891a64f67decbbbace63d973a17ac20f.JPG

This is after a recent find the missing tools exercise where I also threw out some rubbish.

The over spill area and drawings pile

005.JPG.900fb4162ae284d0ff97683a0b61f2c9.JPG

Another over spill area.

006.JPG.1342f27ffc1f8c111064ddb06eba31da.JPG

An over spill area normally used to lay coach cut and shut sides while the glue hardens.

007.JPG.744be6af616824b9bdcdf479baf73e6f.JPG

A better shot of the Mailcoach LNER Tourist Brake Second Open. None of the parts fit each other, one day I will get very cross with it and it will lose, so far it seems to be winning.

008.JPG.96b6e7aa7d4d6fb4e4ee3955d0bb1289.JPG

A tidy workbench is an unhappy one. (Stolen from someone else)

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Clive, that is cheating. You have at least four workbench there, not just one. The rest of us have to see how much we can stack things, not just start again on a new one.

But it does explain the lack of scenery, as the tools for the scenery are either where the scenery itself needs to go or they have been lost like some ancient artefact under layers of later stuff. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

1 minute ago, cheesysmith said:

Clive, that is cheating. You have at least four workbench there, not just one. The rest of us have to see how much we can stack things, not just start again on a new one.

But it does explain the lack of scenery, as the tools for the scenery are either where the scenery itself needs to go or they have been lost like some ancient artefact under layers of later stuff. 

Hi Dave

Have you spotted what is missing from Clive's bench ?

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 27/03/2021 at 22:21, Clive Mortimore said:

009.jpg.9fcbe151803cd05dde82edf7c25ff097.jpg

Hi Clive,

Shouldn't there be a trap/catch point there?

Obviously making sure that any "deliberate" derailment by the trap doesn't foul the running line.....................

:diablo_mini: