Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

I quote from the King James Bible and then ask very awkward questions about the various passages that they would rather not answer, I sometimes explain the question, better yet I explain the answer to them.

The best bit is to ask them if they know what King James' other book was called, for those that don't know it is Demonologie and it is all about witch craft. I ought to get a copy, have a good read and perhaps offer to lend it to them as they tell me that my soul could be saved if I read the Bible, which proves that they were not listening in the first place !!!

Gibbo.

It’s not surprising they found the questions awkward Gibbo. A couple of years ago I got into conversation with a neighbour who is retired lexicologist  and musicologist. He said the King James Bible, of 500 years ago, was a very poor translation and chunks of it didn’t make any sense at all . He said by the late 19th Century there was much more understanding of ancient languages and more recent translations are far more consistent with the original text.  So if you want some fun, go into one of these churches with some large impressive but ancient King James Bible that never gets opened on the pulpit and ask the vicar to explain that one to you ! 

I did ask my neighbour why the Great Eastern section messed around with class 40’s when they were no better than  the Britannia’s up to Norwich but he dint  know :beee: ( not really).

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I was chatting to a customer and his dad one day when one of the wandering missionary gangs knocked on the door. His dad said I will answer it. I thought this would be good as he was a lecturer in philosophy. All he said was "At the moment it is a waste of time trying to have a chat as you are  very strong believers. When you have doubts please come and talk to me about how you are feeling." They stood there with goldfish faces. He then said "Thank for calling" and shut the door.

Perhaps he was like W.C. Fields who after a lifetime of excessive drinking and womanising had almost drunk himself to death when he asked fo a Bible. When asked why he wanted one he said “ I’m looking for a loophole” :lol:

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

8 minutes ago, jazzer said:

It’s not surprising they found the questions awkward Gibbo. A couple of years ago I got into conversation with a neighbour who is retired lexicologist  and musicologist. He said the King James Bible, of 500 years ago, was a very poor translation and chunks of it didn’t make any sense at all . He said by the late 19th Century there was much more understanding of ancient languages and more recent translations are far more consistent with the original text.  So if you want some fun, go into one of these churches with some large impressive but ancient King James Bible that never gets opened on the pulpit and ask the vicar to explain that one to you ! 

I did ask my neighbour why the Great Eastern section messed around with class 40’s when they were no better than  the Britannia’s up to Norwich but he dint  know :beee: ( not really).

Hi Jazzer,

I would gladly discuss further except that we would likely get booted off for breaching so called rules made up by some mortal soul that may think he is above himself for some reason or other.

Unfortunately there is a lot of that kind of thing about these days, and in the main, due to people not paying enough attention to themselfs. I could call it small-mindedness but that seems to upset them as well, so I won't.

Gibbo.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Hi Jazzer

Simple answer was carried by D200 on the headboard, "Progress by Great Eastern". 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

There appears to be a list of statistics about this thread.....the three most popular posts are my Mum dying , my Uncle John dying and Gus the Gundog dying. Sad thing I won't be around to see how popular the news of me popping me clocks will be. :scratchhead:

• Friendly/supportive 9

6 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Jazzer

Simple answer was carried by D200 on the headboard, "Progress by Great Eastern". 

They were referring to the Buffet Car sandwiches :P

3 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

There appears to be a list of statistics about this thread.....the three most popular posts are my Mum dying , my Uncle John dying and Gus the Gundog dying. Sad thing I won't be around to see how popular the news of me popping me clocks will be. :scratchhead:

1 minute ago, jazzer said:

They were referring to the Buffet Car sandwiches :P

Hi Jazzer,

Do you think that might be the extent of catering at Clive's wake ?

Gibbo.

• Funny 8

34 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Jazzer,

I would gladly discuss further except that we would likely get booted off for breaching so called rules made up by some mortal soul that may think he is above himself for some reason or other.

Unfortunately there is a lot of that kind of thing about these days, and in the main, due to people not paying enough attention to themselfs. I could call it small-mindedness but that seems to upset them as well, so I won't.

Gibbo.

Oh, well, I’ve reached the stage where I don’t Judge others. There is enough stupidity in the world that causes harm to people , with getting to wound up about the rights and wrongs of basically decent people, or for that matter what they believe.

I was in by local hardware store yesterday buying some screws for my train set, and the owner Rob, who I get on with well was having a rant about people going in the shop without masks on causing him to face potential £10,000 fine plus the fact that he is vulnerable and hasnt yet been vaccinated. His comment to me was that this pandemic has brought out both the best and the worst in people. I think he is right. There’s some people that are ok and some that are not. I try not to judge any deeper than that.

Now, will someone come and rescue me from this potentially serious discussion so we can return to levity and wit :D

Phil O’ Sophical 

• Like 5
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, jazzer said:

Yes , probably cut and shut sandwiches though !

We could fill the joins in with Cheesysmith's potted meat although why he doesn't have cheese sandwiches with a name like that is a mystery to me.

• Funny 4

24 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Oh, well, I’ve reached the stage where I don’t Judge others. There is enough stupidity in the world that causes harm to people , with getting to wound up about the rights and wrongs of basically decent people, or for that matter what they believe.

I was in by local hardware store yesterday buying some screws for my train set, and the owner Rob, who I get on with well was having a rant about people going in the shop without masks on causing him to face potential £10,000 fine plus the fact that he is vulnerable and hasnt yet been vaccinated. His comment to me was that this pandemic has brought out both the best and the worst in people. I think he is right. There’s some people that are ok and some that are not. I try not to judge any deeper than that.

Now, will someone come and rescue me from this potentially serious discussion so we can return to levity and wit :D

Phil O’ Sophical 

Hi Jazzer,

Except that what I wrote is in relation to the truth that should people open their minds then they may gain a sense of their own awareness both within themselfs and the greater universe. That they then might perhaps even manage to stand in their own power, which is somewhat lacking in the main, would be a good thing. It is the precise chink in the armour exploited so well by so called authorities, the example is clear in what what you have described above. Also should anyone that places themselfs in such a category, they do so by way of their own design.

Purely observational, and at all not judgemental.

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Improper grammar.
  • Like 1

When it comes to door knocking by the JW brethren, I merely remind them of the passage of how God created Eve.  Works a treat.  
A friend of mine usually greets them with a glass of red liquid in his hand.  He comes out with a comment about worshipping the Dark Lord!!!!!!

As for sandwiches at a Wake, finest BR curly, I suspect.

Paul

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I usually greet them with my previous job, Working in Haematology in a Path Lab cross-matching blood for  transfusions!

Chaz

Edited by CHAZ D
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I was due to give a chat to some senior scouts about becoming blood donors when they were 18, so had a collection of leaflets in my hall.

Knock knock "Have you read our magazine Watch Tower?"

"Not yet, I will do swap with you" as I handed him one of my leaflets.

He then went on to say he was a member of a committee at the nearby hospital where they discussed not using blood transfusions. To which I said "Oh next time I meet with Dr De'ath, the hematology consultant at the hospital, I can ask him how things are going with your committee." Oddly the conversation ended then.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Knock knock

Opens door - spots the religious recruitment team on the doorstep..

Me: Before we go any further, do you think I am clever enough to join your religion ?

Them: Yes, of course

Me:  Then why do you think I'm not clever enough to make up my own mind ? 

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I just saw that; you've been through a hell of a lot in the last year and a half, Clive.  Hope this thread helps you, it (and others on RMWeb) helps me.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

I quote from the King James Bible and then ask very awkward questions about the various passages that they would rather not answer, I sometimes explain the question, better yet I explain the answer to them.

My Dad had an interesting conversation with the JWs. He was studying for his diploma in Theology and was home from college for a few days. He drew them in to a deep discussion on some biblical issue about which  he had just written an assignment. They never knocked our door again, always went straight past. We must have been on a blacklist of doors not to knock.  He had previously done a similar demolition job when the Mormons did a mass canvass of the area. They never even set foot on the estate again while we lived there.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

My Dad had an interesting conversation with the JWs. He was studying for his diploma in Theology and was home from college for a few days. He drew them in to a deep discussion on some biblical issue about which  he had just written an assignment. They never knocked our door again, always went straight past. We must have been on a blacklist of doors not to knock.  He had previously done a similar demolition job when the Mormons did a mass canvass of the area. They never even set foot on the estate again while we lived there.

Hi There,

The most interesting take from what you have written is that not only could your father be wrong, the JW's could be wrong, better yet you and I could both be wrong also. God knows what the answer actually is yet none us actually know what God really is.

One thing that is for certain, the joke is on us !!!

Gibbo.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Jazzer,

Except that what I wrote is in relation to the truth that should people open their minds then they may gain a sense of their own awareness both within themselfs and the greater universe. That they then might perhaps even manage to stand in their own power, which is somewhat lacking in the main, would be a good thing. It is the precise chink in the armour exploited so well by so called authorities, the example is clear in what what you have described above. Also should anyone that places themselfs in such a category, they do so by way of their own design.

Purely observational, and at all not judgemental.

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbers,

You have touched on a complicated topic that is a bit heavy for a fun forum, so I’ll keep it short

It’s good to be open minded but the trick is to know when to close it.  In every area of life progress has frequently been made only because people didn’t accept the status quo, or the received wisdom of the day. People who thought outside the box were often seen by their contemporaries as nutters, trouble makers, or attention seekers but without their forward thinking, or the pressure groups that drove them we would still be in the dark ages.

In terms of blood transfusions, my brother in law almost died from a blood transfusion many years ago so since then I’ve taken a bit of open minded on/off interest in the topic so that if I have to go under the surgeons knife I am suitably informed. I’ve also come into contact with various consultant surgeons  through my job and had one or two conversations with them about it.

One thing that quite surprised me is that blood transfusions are not like an oil change as most people seem to imagine. One doctor described it as more akin to an organ transplant. It is not without risk. Of course the risk is much lower than it used to be and due largely to Jehovah’s witnesses much more surgery is done without blood and these days we know that ones blood count can go much lower than was thought in the past. What really scared me though was a lot of blood transfusions only happen because the surgeon is a bit careless with the knife. I remember reading  back in the 80’s , not long after my bother in laws experience, an article by a leading American surgeon who said he had performed 5000 open heart surgeries without blood because, in his words he was a surgeon not a butcher. 

There often options available for surgery without blood but the trouble is that often you have to ask for them, so we kind of come back to your open minded point.

In short , I wouldn’t tell anyone what to do or what not to do but if you are going under the knife make sure you know what all the options are and why the surgeon is thinking of using blood. The feed back I’ve had is that most operations can be done without blood and although takes longer , the recovery period is quicker and in things like certain types of cancer the chance of recurrence is much less. So rather than dismiss JWs as nutters I’d say to everyone think very carefully about it before you agree to someone else’s blood being pumped into to you.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

8 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi There,

The most interesting take from what you have written is that not only could your father be wrong, the JW's could be wrong, better yet you and I could both be wrong also. God knows what the answer actually is yet none us actually know what God really is.

One thing that is for certain, the joke is on us !!!

Gibbo.

There is a Jimmy Buffett song called “ Fruitcakes” ( basically about the human race) which starts off by saying the cosmic baker took us all out of the oven too early, and that’s why we are such crazy mixed up people. Perhaps we ought to leave the discussion there and get back to toy trains !

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I was due to give a chat to some senior scouts about becoming blood donors when they were 18, so had a collection of leaflets in my hall.

Knock knock "Have you read our magazine Watch Tower?"

"Not yet, I will do swap with you" as I handed him one of my leaflets.

He then went on to say he was a member of a committee at the nearby hospital where they discussed not using blood transfusions. To which I said "Oh next time I meet with Dr De'ath, the hematology consultant at the hospital, I can ask him how things are going with your committee." Oddly the conversation ended then.

A surgeon called Dr Death ? Really ? Almost as bad as the urologist at St Andrew’s Hospital Billericay Dr James Riddle ( Jimmy Riddle - geddit ? ) :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

I've only once received a knock on the door from the JWs; living in a work-provided house on the outskirts of a certain fine Eastern region city back when i was single, the door bell rang mid/late morning disturbing me from my bed. I stumbled down the stairs with a hangover i'm fairly sure my ancestors could feel, and opened the door with the fumes of the previous night/mornings rum surrounding me. They didn't say much, just passed me a pamphlet and said 'we've got something you might like to read' and then quickly wandered on. I can only assume they realised stopping for a chat would have been a waste of their time with the state i was in, although it would be interesting to know how they'd react to somebody falling asleep while they are sat inside their house having a chat.

RMweb is generally a good religion and politics free environment which leaves us to chat about less divisive subjects (as long as no-one mentions GWR, OOsf, (or on this thread) Painting) so everyone gets along quite well. With that in mind i'll use Facebook as an example of how i've found best to live my life in this modern age. Of the 'friends' i have on there, there is a wide range of opinions and beliefs of politics, religion, and world events as they happen. Some people can be very vocal on their views and social media has made it easier to try and share those views, i have seen some friends enter arguments with complete strangers online due to differing opinions. Having seen how ugly some of those confrontations can become i now make the conscious decision not to share my thoughts or discuss certain subjects online or even in person with people i otherwise think of as friends and get a long very well with. My religious and political views are mine alone, and i fully respect that others can and will be different, I'd much rather enjoy a happy pint down the pub talking absolute pointless cr@p with a friend than end up discussing why (for example) i voted for a different political party to them and it getting heated while they try to put their point across. 

I think Clive summed it up best on one of my visits to his to play trains (and talk absolute cr@p) when he stopped to acknowledge the absurdity of somebody with his mentality and past happily standing around having a friendly chat with someone (me) that does what i do for a living without complaint! (It was a while ago, but i think that was the gist of it wasn't it Clive?!) That to me is a much happier way to spend mine and others time than trying to 'convert' someone to my way of thinking.

Edit to add: Despite all that, i am quite dark and sadistic at times (i enjoy nothing more on RMweb than reading through a locked thread to find who's thrown their teddies out of the pram) so those of you that do add political and religious comments on social media then please carry on doing so. At times the highlight of Brexit for me was the Clive and Andy show on Facebook ;) both very passionate there chaps!

Edited by Satan's Goldfish
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

54 minutes ago, jazzer said:

A surgeon called Dr Death ? Really ? Almost as bad as the urologist at St Andrew’s Hospital Billericay Dr James Riddle ( Jimmy Riddle - geddit ? ) :D

At one time, our local Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages was called De'Ath.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jazzer said:

It's called Nominative Determinism, where instead of getting your name from your profession (e.g. Baker, Butcher), your name seems to draw you to a certain profession.  Hence why brothers called Swindells set up an accountancy firm and a Mr Leaky started a boat-builders.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 1