Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

Hi Ray

I built it so there will be some b*ggeration without any need to think about it. Two trains circulating while I sort out the next arrival or departure will keep me busy.

The operating plan is for up to 24 trains each doing at least two journeys a session. I hope to write the "timetable " so train one does not end up back its starting siding but they are swapped around. I am not over keen on shunting but the two loco yards will have petrol and fossilised wood delivered to them as well as the odd shuffle of parcels stock.

A parcels in/out , morning and evening on each route . In that era , a van or two making onward connection as tail-traffic behind a DMU meaning the station pilot needs to shunt them at Sheffield Exchange- you are early enough that 12T XP vans would be perfectly ok, as would grouping-era 4 wheel CCTs

Split/join a few DMUs for peak/off-peak .

Enough to keep you busy

And just possibly a "dead" EM1 or EM2 being dispatched to Doncaster

• RMweb Premium

A parcels in/out , morning and evening on each route . In that era , a van or two making onward connection as tail-traffic behind a DMU meaning the station pilot needs to shunt them at Sheffield Exchange- you are early enough that 12T XP vans would be perfectly ok, as would grouping-era 4 wheel CCTs

Split/join a few DMUs for peak/off-peak .

Enough to keep you busy

And just possibly a "dead" EM1 or EM2 being dispatched to Doncaster

No Woodhead sparks......

I will invent enough parcels movements to keep me busy and out of my wife's way. The headshunt for the steam loco yard doubles up as an end loading bay so the odd CCT or GUV might be parked up there. 

Splitting DMUs was already on the agenda.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Had I gone for the most important station in Sheffield , the one that has stayed open no one would have suggested Woodhead electrics. :nea_mini:

• Like 2

Oh, and on Saturdays, a Sheffield Exchange - Tumby Woodside angling excursion , setting down at every surviving station along the Witham. A Brush 2 + excursion stock (It would almost certainly have to run through to Tumby Woodside to run round - I don't think there were facilities to do so further up) . Match angling was a big thing - big enough for BR to run specials (In the early 60s my Dad was supplying fishing match reports to both the Hull Daily Mail and the Sheffield Evening Telegraph)

In summer there was a Sheffield - Skeggy train via Lincoln Central : that ran until the late 1980s, again normally Cl. 31 haulage

• RMweb Premium

Oh, and on Saturdays, a Sheffield Exchange - Tumby Woodside angling excursion , setting down at every surviving station along the Witham. A Brush 2 + excursion stock (It would almost certainly have to run through to Tumby Woodside to run round - I don't think there were facilities to do so further up) . Match angling was a big thing - big enough for BR to run specials (In the early 60s my Dad was supplying fishing match reports to both the Hull Daily Mail and the Sheffield Evening Telegraph)

In summer there was a Sheffield - Skeggy train via Lincoln Central : that ran until the late 1980s, again normally Cl. 31 haulage

I have summer time table covered.

The Preston trains run on to Blackpool, the Wigan ones to Southport, the York's to Scarborough and the Grimsby to Cleethorpes.

Skegness and Maplethorope trains run from Victoria in my little world.

Excursions and football specials will be part of the weekend timetables 

I may even have a daily perishables van train arrive, depending on the season if it is veggies or fruits.

And of course the Sunday engineering work would mean the ballast train reversing in the station.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I think they mean the River Witham that runs through Lincoln.

Chers

Paul

HI Paul

I knew he meant the With-am not Wit-ham....Now I live in Lincolnshire I have to careful and say With-am, not pronounce the various villages or the river the same as my past town of residence despite the same spelling.

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks to Clive: I have just discovered that I have been mispronouncing the name of the river Witham! You learn all sorts of things on RMweb as well as Railway modelling.

Paul.

I have summer time table covered.

The Preston trains run on to Blackpool, the Wigan ones to Southport, the York's to Scarborough and the Grimsby to Cleethorpes.

Skegness and Maplethorope trains run from Victoria in my little world.

Excursions and football specials will be part of the weekend timetables 

I may even have a daily perishables van train arrive, depending on the season if it is veggies or fruits.

And of course the Sunday engineering work would mean the ballast train reversing in the station.

Eh , I hope you are going to let me know when those Southport trains are going to be coming through Wallgate, I may not be quite ready for them .

Kevan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

HI Paul

I knew he meant the With-am not Wit-ham....Now I live in Lincolnshire I have to careful and say With-am, not pronounce the various villages or the river the same as my past town of residence despite the same spelling.

Well, there’s Wymondham in Norfolk (“wind-‘am“) and a Wymondham in Leicestershire (why-mond-ham).

Then again, most people can’t pronounce “Hunstanton” properly, either...

(Most Norfolk town names with 3 syllables are pronounced with two... more or less.)

It’s “Hunts-ston”, by the way.

• RMweb Premium

These things evolve. These days people seem to pronounce Wheathampstead as one would expect from the spelling. But people of my father's generation and older pronounced it Wempsted.

Where I live it is pronounced by some locals as Soloby, a special prize for the correct name of my village. 

• RMweb Premium

The operating/trial session today I had today saw me running a green Standard Class 5 and a B1 on the mainlines , they looked great. I also had a railbus whizzing around, it looked very lonely. A Bo-Bo on a local and loads of DMUs. I am really liking this steam and diesel mix.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Well, there’s Wymondham in Norfolk (“wind-‘am“) and a Wymondham in Leicestershire (why-mond-ham).

Then again, most people can’t pronounce “Hunstanton” properly, either...

(Most Norfolk town names with 3 syllables are pronounced with two... more or less.)

It’s “Hunts-ston”, by the way.

Don't even try, Tacolneston, Happisburgh or  many others..

oh there a lot of Pestells in my village in Norfolk...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Where I live it is pronounced by some locals as Soloby, a special prize for the correct name of my village. 

Hi

The only Soloby I know of is Saltfleetby and if thats the case you are only down the road from me.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus

• RMweb Premium

Milngavie is good too....

There's a Witham in Somerset where the Merehead stone trains join the GW mainline.

Hi Peter

Is it Wit-ham or With-am? I have heard stories of wagons destined for Somerset ending up in Essex.