Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

G'day Folks

Looking good, don't see many layouts set in the late 60's early70's.

manna

Don't be fooled by the blue DMUs they will go green one day. The layout is set in the sixties with steam very much part of the daily traveling experience. There will be loads of them nice clean diesel trains as well. 

• Like 5

Hi MICK

I had two running on the mainlines as I moved the golden yellow ochre Brush Type 2  about the station throat. Then I forgot to photo it.

It is possible to have four train moving at one time. But that requires two operators.

That can multi task. :O

Don't be fooled by the blue DMUs they will go green one day. The layout is set in the sixties with steam very much part of the daily traveling experience. There will be loads of them nice clean diesel trains as well. 

Oh well, never mind mate! :no:  :onthequiet:  :onthequiet:

• RMweb Premium

Oh well, never mind mate! :no:  :onthequiet:  :onthequiet:

Lookie 'ere Mr P, I have set the layout in a time period and location where I can justify a wide variety of motive power types which historically would/could have been seen side by side. Hopefully as time passes I will reproduce this scene in model form.

I am just pleased that it seems to work. While I was playing trains last night there were a few errors but I think most were down to me not being fully conversant with the control panel.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Very impressive Clive and those green diseasal multiplied thingies look most impressive (especially if you like green diseasal multiplied thingies - good to hear those manky blue ones are going to be repainted in their proper colours, hopefully with go-faster stripes whatsits on the front).

The terminus track layout looks very impressive, that long lead all the way across reminds me of the proposed layout for St Pancreas which was thrown out after somebody finally got our message that it was going to cost too much and was a waste of time anyway - but yours won't be a waste of time I'm sure.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

I can see a bit of narrow gauge (N) in one of the pictures but where are the Woodhead electrics?

PS Don't forget the trap point in the centre road of the station......................... :onthequiet:

Hi Peter

The narrow gauge track is for the coal tubs which are used with the coal elevator, just got to build another one as the one in these photos stayed with Brisbane Road when my mate came and collected it.  Suppose I better add an ash pit to the steam loco yard.

Ah the wide to gauge trap point, I have put the one I made somewhere safe. When it surfaces it will be added to the centre road.

Sorry no Woodhead sparks as they ran on the GCR.

• Like 2

Put them out in the garden for a couple of months under a tree, that will turn them a nice shade of green and won't cost you a penny.

Hmm, mention of Woodhead has given me an idea - how about you electrify half the station - electric trains enter and exit from one side of the triangle, go about 3/4 around the outside loops where there could be some exchange sidings or another station where the electric could hand over to steam/diesel and the train continues on the circuit and re-enters Sheffield off the other side of the triangle steam or diesel hauled.

You know it makes sense, get them black/green EMs while you can - someone even does Shenfield electrics so you could get a 306 to act as a pseudo 506.  :jester:  :jester:

Did you spot the double Minories type track plan, AKA something about a cross king......

It does look somehow familiar!  With much less space available I have gone for a hint of something similar using pairs of Peco overall roofs... 

• RMweb Gold

Hi MICK

I had two running on the mainlines as I moved the golden yellow ochre Brush Type 2  about the station throat. Then I forgot to photo it.

It is possible to have four train moving at one time. But that requires two operators.

That can multi task. :O

Is an operator with two knobs like a dog with two d1cks?

• RMweb Premium

PS Don't forget the trap point in the centre road of the station......................... :onthequiet:

Found it when looking for the stash of buffer stops. :locomotive:  I haven't found them yet. :scratchhead:

It needs to be fitted in, not sure yet If it will be operative, only time will tell.

• RMweb Premium

Put them out in the garden for a couple of months under a tree, that will turn them a nice shade of green and won't cost you a penny.

Hmm, mention of Woodhead has given me an idea - how about you electrify half the station - electric trains enter and exit from one side of the triangle, go about 3/4 around the outside loops where there could be some exchange sidings or another station where the electric could hand over to steam/diesel and the train continues on the circuit and re-enters Sheffield off the other side of the triangle steam or diesel hauled.

You know it makes sense, get them black/green EMs while you can - someone even does Shenfield electrics so you could get a 306 to act as a pseudo 506.  :jester:  :jester:

If I were to bung up any OLE it would be Mk1 stuff for my ER EMUs.....Part of the modernisation plan was to electrify from Kings Cross to Doncaster, well in my parallel world this might have taken place and it has been extended to Sheffield Exchange. The Kings Cross to Doncaster scheme was well into its planning stage and the rolling stock was even under construction when it was cancelled. The AL5s and AM9s were designed for it.

Ah Steam Diesel and AC electrics :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That looks some layout Clive. Plenty of operational interest.

It also cries out (to me) for some means of injecting the occasional (or even more frequent) b*ggeration factor to add a bit of spice to it. I could see that the same routine over and over might detract from the interest for the operator.

• RMweb Premium

That looks some layout Clive. Plenty of operational interest.

It also cries out (to me) for some means of injecting the occasional (or even more frequent) b*ggeration factor to add a bit of spice to it. I could see that the same routine over and over might detract from the interest for the operator.

Hi Ray

I built it so there will be some b*ggeration without any need to think about it. Two trains circulating while I sort out the next arrival or departure will keep me busy.

The operating plan is for up to 24 trains each doing at least two journeys a session. I hope to write the "timetable " so train one does not end up back its starting siding but they are swapped around. I am not over keen on shunting but the two loco yards will have petrol and fossilised wood delivered to them as well as the odd shuffle of parcels stock.

• Like 3