Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

He should have been a Politician, hahha :no:  :no:  :no:  :sungum:

If I were a politician the first thing I would do is withdraw all medical treatment from  those over 65...that would save the country millions. And just think of the revenue boost on all the VAT for the funerals. :rtfm: 

Thankfully I am just a railway modeller with some good news, Trains can access all platforms from both the L&YR and GNR junctions off the main line. :locomotive: :yahoo: :locomotive: :yahoo:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

A simple but effective suggestion mentioned in the 'dark side' section a few weeks ago:

Wire up a battery with a bell where the power supply should be. In the case of DC, turn all the sections on.

If the bell goes off, you have an problem.

I like this because you can hear straight away when something has gone wrong instead of finding out in a testing/running session which may be some time later.

Hi Iain

Most short circuits are due to poor design or workmanship. I managed both last night. All sorted today. 

Guess who is going to be running trains tonight?

• Like 6

Hi Iain

Most short circuits are due to poor design or workmanship. I managed both last night. All sorted today. 

Guess who is going to be running trains tonight?

If you're anything like me, You'll run some trains, then some more, and then some more.

Then it will be time for bed & you will be most displeased with your self for getting no work done!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If you're anything like me, You'll run some trains, then some more, and then some more.

Then it will be time for bed & you will be most displeased with your self for getting no work done!

No Iain,  I sorted out the track for the platforms, they are not fixed in place yet but all track is now cut, the crossovers at the end of the platforms in place, and isolating section switches wired up.

I reckon it'll be clockwork-powered.....

It has real electrickery.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I did run a few trains. A couple of derailments. One was a 2x2 car DMU, the first power car rode into a section I had not switched on, the second one carried on .......crash went the two trailer coaches. The other was me applying the brakes to a Type 3 sharply and one its coaches jumped off the track. So no track problems. :locomotive:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It doesn't need to work to take still photos...........

;)

Mick

I am not like some others who place trains on track that isn't even wired up and takes photos to get an invite to a show......then nine months later start to panic because the layout hasn't been started.

I just would like to know for my own sake the layout is OK.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I am not like some others who place trains on track that isn't even wired up and takes photos to get an invite to a show......then nine months later start to panic because the layout hasn't been started.

I just would like to know for my own sake the layout is OK.

What you sayin'? DM Four Mill Something has track down, ok not stuck down, or wired, but it's on the baseboard.

And the first show is five weeks away, not nine months.....

Me, panic? Nah...

• RMweb Premium

What you sayin'? DM Four Mill Something has track down, ok not stuck down, or wired, but it's on the baseboard.

And the first show is five weeks away, not nine months.....

Me, panic? Nah...

Yeah but your a star Stu , others they would be in a shear panic thinking of an excuse. They cannot use they were attending their budgie funeral, that was last years reason for withdrawing the layout.

Seriously it is embarrassing when you have to withdraw at the last moment, I did because of illness.

• RMweb Premium

Yeah but your a star Stu , others they would be in a shear panic thinking of an excuse. They cannot use they were attending their budgie funeral, that was last years reason for withdrawing the layout.

Seriously it is embarrassing when you have to withdraw at the last moment, I did because of illness.

You dun your wire phots yet Mortor?

I have not, yet.

C.A. Mera 

• RMweb Premium

You dun your wire phots yet Mortor?

I have not, yet.

C.A. Mera 

Knowing Clive's penchant for things less than modern - I wonder if the photos will be in monochrome.........

Cheers,

Mick

edit: typo

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Yesterday I was introduced to Derek Shore, it was Derek's layout Avondale in the November 1970 Railway Modeller that inspired me to wanting a continuous running line which fed into a terminus station in the middle of the room. It was brilliant after all years to say "Thank you" to Derek. If you can get hold of a copy of the article please read it for its operational inspiration which I hope I can replicate.

Update on the layout progress will follow shortly. Photos one day.....

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3

I remember that layout Clive. I think it also appeared in the "Model Railway News" around the same time (or possibly 1969).

Yes, I was impressed with it too.

PS To take photos Clive, you switch on the camera, look through the viewfinder, point the circular bit (the lens) at what you want to take and press the button on top........... :scratchhead: 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I remember that layout Clive. I think it also appeared in the "Model Railway News" around the same time (or possibly 1969).

Yes, I was impressed with it too.

PS To take photos Clive, you switch on the camera, look through the viewfinder, point the circular bit (the lens) at what you want to take and press the button on top........... :scratchhead:

Hi Peter

The MRN article was mainly about the time table if I remember correctly, sadly I no longer have a copy of that edition.

I still waiting for Boots to get some film in for the camera. When I did go and ask for some the young lady looked very confused, thankfully the more senior lady remembered her father buying a film when they went on holiday so she is ordering some for me. I was surprised 127 film now comes in 12 or 24 exposures. 24 does seem a bit excessive.

Just caught up with the last 4 pages with suspense building to seeing something running...

... instead Clive has turned into a politician and all the pictures have reminded me of work and that I'm running a tour at Neatishead in a couple of weeks. I used to think I came here to escape from the real world ;)