Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

While I was searching for my box with loco buffers and other bits in it, I stumbled across my very old part made Trans Pennine unit, I am going to have a ago at getting it going.

The buffers are for my Vi-Trains Type 3s, they are coming on OK.

Clive, in keeping with the spirit of this thread and to inform the steam followers can you please identify the 'loco' in red ;)

Anyway you're doing a grand job with your layout.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Clive, in keeping with the spirit of this thread and to inform the steam followers can you please identify the 'loco' in red ;)

Jim

It's a 350 shunter innit?

Well, that's what we used to call em!

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Jim

We all have that magic spares box, mine seems to be full of buffers for locomotives.

I do have a red loco, well one in maroon and it isn't a LMS Pacific or Western.

• RMweb Premium

We all have that magic spares box, mine seems to be full of buffers for locomotives.

I do have a red loco, well one in maroon and it isn't a LMS Pacific or Western.

Hmmm - a maroon loco guessing game - is it one of these then?

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

It could have been the preserved Midland Compound as that was still running specials in the 1960s.

It is a boring Warship, still don't know why I brought it, apart from it looking pretty in the shop on the day.

• RMweb Premium

Sarah Siddons?

Oh!!!!! That reminds me I have two maroon locos.

The other one is a nice pannier tank in a proper livery not that G*R green but the one that has the same lettering as a Routemaster Bus, "London Transport". What a nice livery for a engine.

Now that was brought for a purpose. Hanging Hill being in North East London was connected to the LT system and was used to exchange wagons between the two railways.

What reason can I use for it to appear in Sheffield?

The other one is a nice pannier tank in a proper livery not that G*R green but the one that has the same lettering as a Routemaster Bus, "London Transport". What a nice livery for a engine.

Now that was brought for a purpose. Hanging Hill being in North East London was connected to the LT system and was used to exchange wagons between the two railways.

Dead in tow to the scrapyard and thence to the furnaces?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

To annoy the purists?

(You don't need a reason - it's your layout.......)

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

On it's way to Booths?

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gang

This evening I have been busy with my very old conversion of Tri-ang coaches into a Trans-Pennine unit. The main thing was to get the non-driving Motor Brake Second powered. It had a Lima 4 wheeled power unit in it but the design of bogie frame let it down it kept breaking. I have now fitted it with a Hornby DMU power bogie and pick-up bogie. All the converted coaches had their plastic wheels removed and replaced with metal ones of 12mm diameter. I have worked out a bodge to make BR Mk1 bogies look a bit like DMU ones, so if it works I will not have to re-bogie the coaches. I have run the whole train and it looks good running at speed and slowly as it enters the station, with the power car pushing four coaches across the point work. When I started the conversion I was building hanging Hill so I have never been able to run it as a full train. There is a lot of work to do but hopefully it will appear close enough to a Trans-Pennine unit.

Some old photos

post-16423-0-45171800-1525040794.jpg

DMC

post-16423-0-65417500-1525040806_thumb.jpg

non driving MBSK

post-16423-0-37746900-1525040817_thumb.jpg

TRBFK

post-16423-0-99390700-1525040826_thumb.jpg

TSO (Lima model, couldn't be bothered with cutting and shutting two Tri-ang BSKs)

post-16423-0-55123000-1525040838_thumb.jpg

non driving MBSK, with its Lima power unit

post-16423-0-63149300-1525040863_thumb.jpg

DMC very much damaged.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Is that TSO still in its original 'as Lima intended' state and livery?

yeah

Once in lined green, flush windies, new under gubbins and modified bogies, it will look like a Lima coach lined green, flush windies, new under gubbins and modified bogies. There is a lot of work still to be done but the main thing is I have it running which gives me the mo-jo to work on it when I feel like it.

Had it running earlier this morning. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

WHOOPS!!!!!!

Cor blimey those Fowler 2Ps are made of strong stuff. :yes:

You see, I was just starting to bring a 37 hauled parcels train into Platform 6 when........

CRASH....BANG.....THUMP.... :scared: :scared: :scared:

the 2P, the leading coach of the train and buffer stop from platform 7 went off the end of the layout. :sarcastichand:

I do believe this accident might have been caused by a tiny error in the route setting, but we must wait for the full investigation to take place. :rtfm: 

• RMweb Gold

WHOOPS!!!!!!

You see, I was just starting to bring a 37 hauled parcels train into Platform 6 when........

the 2P, the leading coach of the train and buffer stop from platform 7 went off the end of the layout. :sarcastichand:

I do believe this accident might have been caused by a tiny error in the route setting, but we must wait for the full investigation to take place. :rtfm: 

Look on the bright side Clive - if you were using the Double Catchpoint Clatter (DCC) control system it would probably happen more often and you'd definitely be more likely to have collisions until you get the signalling installed.  :jester: 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Look on the bright side Clive - if you were using the Double Catchpoint Clatter (DCC) control system it would probably happen more often and you'd definitely be more likely to have collisions until you get the signalling installed.  :jester: 

Well the signalman is denying any wrong doing and is blaming the driver of the 2P for not putting on the brakes. :nono: :nono:

He in turn is saying the guard left the train without the handbrake being applied.

And the guard is blaming his wife for the upset tummy he had and had to rush to the loo before he had a personal accident.

The stationmaster is blaming anyone who gets in his way......

.........the young lad in the parcels office is blaming the station cat because there is no else left to blame :no:

• RMweb Premium

Ah well, at least you have not had something fall off the layout, through the open loft hatch, bounce down the stairs and end up somewhere near the front door...

BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP!

Did it work afterwards?

• RMweb Gold

WHOOPS!!!!!!

Sensible use of DCC would have avoided this. ;)

But I am more inebriated than I have been for some years*, so what the ###### do I know?

*True. But what are reunions with old friends for?

Several edits: due to being p1ssed.

Edited by Regularity