Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Last night I had a go at driving two trains into the station at the same time. It is as difficult as that thing we done as kids, where you pat the top of your head with right hand and rub your tummy in a circle with your left hand. Mind you it looked good seeing two trains running along side each other as the ran down platform 7 and 8.

But surely patting your tummy is now easier as it's a larger target than when you were a kid........?

Cheers,

Mick

But surely patting your tummy is now easier as it's a larger target than when you were a kid........?

Cheers,

Mick

HAhhahahheeeeehohohohohohoh :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:  :blum: 

My messenger pigeon has returned with some developed photographic slides and cine-film from my trip to Sheffield Exchange! (More modern technology was not permitted in the vicinity of the station).

To start, I took a couple of short lineside videos outside the station limits, both of which very coincidently saw trains passing...

Firstly, an 8 car DMU departs, passing an arriving Peak hauled special consisting of intercity mk1s:

Then a short while later, parcels stock approaches the station while the 'special' heads off now behind a EE type 4:

I then moved to get some stills over the station itself and loco stabling. Movements were initially minimal at the station with most trains passing, but then there was a couple of simultaneous arrivals and departures while I was changing film!

post-9147-0-54596100-1525881216_thumb.jpg

post-9147-0-95181100-1525881834_thumb.jpg

post-9147-0-59422800-1525881971_thumb.jpg

post-9147-0-51789400-1525882011_thumb.jpg

post-9147-0-38579700-1525882056_thumb.jpg

post-9147-0-50804500-1525882100_thumb.jpg

Finally, something sounded a little different, but with some very bad light I managed to catch the first freight passed Sheffield Exchange in living memory! Only half a dozen unfitted minerals, but a sign of further activity?...

Looking forward to my next trip up north, thank you again to Clive for inviting me and for a very enjoyable day. But for now, THAT IS ALL.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

My messenger pigeon has returned with some developed photographic slides and cine-film from my trip to Sheffield Exchange! (More modern technology was not permitted in the vicinity of the station).

To start, I took a couple of short lineside videos outside the station limits, both of which very coincidently saw trains passing...

Firstly, an 8 car DMU departs, passing an arriving Peak hauled special consisting of intercity mk1s:

Then a short while later, parcels stock approaches the station while the 'special' heads off now behind a EE type 4:

I then moved to get some stills over the station itself and loco stabling. Movements were initially minimal at the station with most trains passing, but then there was a couple of simultaneous arrivals and departures while I was changing film!

attachicon.gif20180507_111844.jpg

attachicon.gif20180507_111855.jpg

attachicon.gif20180507_111931.jpg

attachicon.gif20180507_111934.jpg

attachicon.gif20180507_112534.jpg

attachicon.gif20180507_112647.jpg

Finally, something sounded a little different, but with some very bad light I managed to catch the first freight passed Sheffield Exchange in living memory! Only half a dozen unfitted minerals, but a sign of further activity?...

Looking forward to my next trip up north, thank you again to Clive for inviting me and for a very enjoyable day. But for now, THAT IS ALL.

WOW

They are wonderful photos and great videos.

Thanks Matt for a nice day.

• Like 1

Just a thought Clive, I think the maximum number of engines permitted in a DMU formation is 12, so if you are running 4x2 car, some of them will need to be trailers, i.e. they can't all be power twins.

• RMweb Premium

Just a thought Clive, I think the maximum number of engines permitted in a DMU formation is 12, so if you are running 4x2 car, some of them will need to be trailers, i.e. they can't all be power twins.

Hi Ian

Two power twins, 8 engines and two 2 car, 4 engines. I had thought about it.

• Like 3

Re. #1579, doesn't it all run well! Smooth trackwork and comprehensible electrics the key, as ever.

Not sure about the D600 in Sheffield though in one of the pics, unless its a sister trial in the Yorkshire coalfield akin to the one in the Welsh Valleys, the one that was never reported.

John.

Hi Ian

Thinking about it some more, that's the same number of pistons as a Deltic!

Edited by Titan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian

Fidelity to prototype.

Like it muchly - getting things right isn’t just, or even always, about the fine details and “correct” track gauge.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Re. #1579, doesn't it all run well! Smooth trackwork and comprehensible electrics the key, as ever.

Not sure about the D600 in Sheffield though in one of the pics, unless its a sister trial in the Yorkshire coalfield akin to the one in the Welsh Valleys, the one that was never reported.

John.

Hi John

Ah!! Cossack, I done a video of her moving around the station throat. I thought I was running her slowly but on the video she looks like she is galloping about.  it is also very poor quality so will not be uploaded. :secret:  My primary aim was to post on the Kernow D6xx thread saying soon others will be able to do what I can.  :nono:   I find many on that thread annoying "My layout will not be complete without all five I have pre-ordered." :cry: :cry: :cry: If they wanted one they would have built one by now, or brought the Silver Fox model or got someone to make one for them.  :yes: 

As for the smoth trackwork and electrics :O

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Fidelity to prototype.

Like it muchly - getting things right isn’t just, or even always, about the fine details and “correct” track gauge.

Hi Simon

No it is knowing there are people like Titan around :sungum: :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Hi John

Ah!! Cossack, I done a video of her moving around the station throat. I thought I was running her slowly but on the video she looks like she is galloping about.  it is also very poor quality so will not be uploaded. :secret:  My primary aim was to post on the Kernow D6xx thread saying soon others will be able to do what I can.  :nono:   I find many on that thread annoying "My layout will not be complete without all five I have pre-ordered." :cry: :cry: :cry: If they wanted one they would have built one by now, or brought the Silver Fox model or got someone to make one for them.  :yes:

Clive, I agree as far as the "I-must-have-it-yesterday" brigade are concerned. However, I've had a Kernow D601 on order for a long time. I don't think the Silver Fox one is available any more as a consequence of the forthcoming Kernow one and the Q Kits version hasn't been available for years. Scratchbuilding is not my forte and I don't tend to spend my money on commissioned models. So, in summary, if Kernow hadn't announced theirs I would probably have gone without - but as it is I'm prepared to wait for something that while not "essential" (we're only talking about model trains after all) will certainly be a nice addition to my fleet.

Two pistons per cylinder ?

Yes. See a very nice animation at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Deltic

Hi John

Completely with you on the "I must have it" brigade.

Many moons ago I built an MTK D600 on a Hornby 47 chassis, and I certainly won't be showing that to anyone, although I learnt a lot doing it!

John.

• RMweb Gold

It looked like a beautiful day outside. (That might have been our summer, you know!)

You should have been out in the fresh air kicking a football around on the lawn and instead you were stuck inside, playing trains...

:onthequiet:

Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Premium

It looked like a beautiful day outside. (That might have been our summer, you know!)

You should have been out in the fresh air kicking a football around on the lawn and instead you were stuck inside, playing trains...

:onthequiet:

Wot!!!!! Outside, all those oilseedrape fields around with my hayfever? Football, I know my uncles were fairly good, Charlie, England Amateur, still the highest number of goals for Woking Town, MBE for his work with youth football and John, England Amateur, center half for Chelsea, manger of Benfica but I take after their elder brother Doug (my dad) who had the same ability as me. That is sometimes by luck the ball goes in the direction it is intended to go, or as my brother (who wasn't too bad a player) would say " You didn't mean to do that."    

• RMweb Premium

Completely with you on the "I must have it" brigade.

Many moons ago I built an MTK D600 on a Hornby 47 chassis, and I certainly won't be showing that to anyone, although I learnt a lot doing it!

John.

This thread is a show as well as a tell, so let us see the D600.

• RMweb Premium

It's good to see something running.

It's very generous of you to allow Mrs M to store her knitting under the baseboards - unless of course there's something you're not telling us :onthequiet:  

Hi Kier

Until all the points are wired, I still have fuddle yards to do, and all is working as intended the wiring is going hang free. :danced: If the wiremen whose work I use to inspect were to see that lot they would be very justified in what they say. :secret:

• RMweb Premium

Clive, I agree as far as the "I-must-have-it-yesterday" brigade are concerned. However, I've had a Kernow D601 on order for a long time. I don't think the Silver Fox one is available any more as a consequence of the forthcoming Kernow one and the Q Kits version hasn't been available for years. Scratchbuilding is not my forte and I don't tend to spend my money on commissioned models. So, in summary, if Kernow hadn't announced theirs I would probably have gone without - but as it is I'm prepared to wait for something that while not "essential" (we're only talking about model trains after all) will certainly be a nice addition to my fleet.

Hi John

I appreciate not everyone can make kits, convert RTR or scratchbuild, I can only bodge things but the way some members of this forum have posted as if their whole future as railway modellers depended on having a D600. As you say there was the Silver Fox model, the Q kits lump and as t'other John mentioned the MTK beauty. Mine are class 29s suitably cut about. So there has been the opportunity for some to have one ages a go. After all they were a small class that for most of their short service life were confined to one county are a nicety not a necessity even if you modelled Cornwall between 1960 and 1967.

The reason I have one and one still under construction goes back to the days when I was modelling every diesel class that was in green with a small yella panel and any major variations in the class, the other one was/is to be a headcode box version. They managed to escape a down sizing exercise, mainly because I didn't think that anyone would want a D600....how wrong I was I could have been cutting and shutting class 29s for years.   

• Like 3