Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Naw....just ordinary switches and a soft pillow under the baseboard for the locos to land on.

You could have a sling thing like they used to have on Aircraft Carriers slung under the fore flight deck.

New Mattic buffers (Dolly Parton makes them).

Sand Drag (no comment)

Phil

The last two feet of each platform road is isolated, if I remember to turn off the power. 

You might want to think about shortening that if you have or plan to fit any coaches with lighting, especially if they have all wheel pick up from both bogies.  Guess how I know...

• RMweb Premium

You might want to think about shortening that if you have or plan to fit any coaches with lighting, especially if they have all wheel pick up from both bogies.  Guess how I know...

Hi Ian

Luckily I model the days when the guard only turned on the lights in the train when he couldn't read his Daily Mirror owing to poor light. And like all model railways it is modelled on a sunny day.

For our younger readers coach lights only went on just before the tunnel, and were off when the coach the guard was in emerged into daylight. Or at night time. And then they were only about 10 watt bulbs so trying to read a book, a railway magazine or the Evening News on your way home from work was nigh on impossible. So having your 1960s trains with bright lights in general is wrong. By 1970 florescent lighting was being fitted and it was about this point in time the lights were kept on for most the journey. Also EMUs tended to have lights on in daylight but they too suffered with the very low wattage bulbs. 

• RMweb Gold

Or at night time.

But only until the clever clogs learned how the switch unit at the end of the Mk1 coach worked! It was surprisingly often that I (as a passenger) had to go and reset same.

Paul.

But only until the clever clogs learned how the switch unit at the end of the Mk1 coach worked! It was surprisingly often that I (as a passenger) had to go and reset same.

Paul.

It wasn’t only on mk1s! I remember having to switch the lights back on on mk3 HST coaches whilst commuting to/from Reading when I was employed by BR

Tim T

• RMweb Gold

It wasn’t only on mk1s! I remember having to switch the lights back on on mk3 HST coaches whilst commuting to/from Reading when I was employed by BR

Tim T

That was your job? ;)

• RMweb Premium

As Mr M is using the old fashioned method of removing power to stop the trains, it doesn't really matter if the lights go out.....

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A few pictures from tonight's running,

post-16423-0-57125100-1525301628_thumb.jpg

A Class 125 DMU departs

post-16423-0-25301500-1525301690_thumb.jpg

Followed by a Black Five on a suburban

post-16423-0-52088500-1525301732_thumb.jpg

The Trans-Pennine is out on the main line.

post-16423-0-77928500-1525301779_thumb.jpg

A 2P 4-4-0 reverses back out of platform 7.

post-16423-0-67358300-1525301837_thumb.jpg

An eight car train formed of four 2 car Met-Cam DMUs.

post-16423-0-42752400-1525301908_thumb.jpg

The Trans-Pennine waits for a route into the station to be set as the Met-Cam train passes by.

post-16423-0-73868400-1525301994_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-59987700-1525302015_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-73937100-1525302033_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-28733000-1525302062_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-43076700-1525302089_thumb.jpg

The Trans-Pennine weaves its way through the point work to Platform 3

post-16423-0-55038000-1525302196_thumb.jpg

Trains waiting to take you on an adventure.

post-16423-0-11721800-1525302256_thumb.jpg

A replacement TSO made from Tri-ang Mk1 coach bits in the magic spares box.

Edit, the Trans-Pennine power car in the photos is the fifth coach in the train, so it is propelling four coaches over all that point work and no derailments. Tension-locks and Peco points. :imsohappy:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

As Mr M is using the old fashioned method of removing power to stop the trains, it doesn't really matter if the lights go out.....

Cheers,

Mick

The light is on but no one is in......just saying. :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

At least if the light is on, you've paid the electricity bill.........

Cheers,

Micki

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif100_4831.JPG

A Class 125 DMU departs

attachicon.gif100_4834a.jpg

attachicon.gif100_4836a.jpg

attachicon.gif100_4838.JPG

attachicon.gif100_4839a.jpg

attachicon.gif100_4841a.jpg

The Trans-Pennine waits for a route into the station to be set as the Met-Cam train passes by.

attachicon.gif100_4842a.jpg

attachicon.gif100_4843a.jpg

attachicon.gif100_4845.JPG

attachicon.gif100_4848a.jpg

attachicon.gif100_4849a.jpg

attachicon.gif100_4852a.jpg

attachicon.gif100_4854.JPG

Edit, the Trans-Pennine power car in the photos is the fifth coach in the train, so it is propelling four coaches over all that point work and no derailments. Tension-locks and Peco points. :imsohappy:

https://youtu.be/2riRAGzNzvQ

• Like 2

That TSO in post #1511 is a sight to behold!

Don’t paint but run it as is to cause amusement to kids of all ages and howls from those who take this hobby too seriously.

Tim T

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The signalbox (very 1960s ER) appears to be having an identity crisis (or suffered at the hands of a very dyslexic signwriter?).  :jester:

The signalbox is a model of Colchester, built on a whim one Saturday. It was never built for a layout, several have been planned around it.  The longer it stays where it has been plonked the closer I get to rethinking my signalling, Sheffield Exchange after all is on the Eastern Region. :scenic:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

Cheers,

Mick

That's precisely the problem, it is the buffer stop destroying potential If the isolating gap in the rails falls between the bogies of a coach (or anything else) with all wheel pick up, it bridges the gap and the power is no longer removed...

Nothing to do with keeping the lights on!

I have been adding the buffer beam valances to a third Vi Trains class 37 and improving the split headcode boxes on the one with the Lima nose fronts. And at the same time I have been running trains.....how good is that. :imsohappy:

I had my BRCW class 104 3 car and Derby class 107 3 car running together, both converted from Hornby 110. I dug out my very old conversion of a class 110 to a Derby 108 (I know it isn't right) running the other way. the 108 was swapped for one of my Sutton Loco Works 24s, as it still has no couplings it ran light engine for a few turns. I gave my two Pressed Steel class 122s a run, coupled together. The Hornby one was pushed all the way round by the Lima one. I do like the motor that Hornby has developed for the old Lima DMUs as it has a slightly finer control but not the same oomph that the Lima motor has.They in turn were replaced by a Derby class 125 conversion from a Lima 117. The two three car units running on the outer circle were replaced by a 4 car Met-Cam unit. I remembered I had a spare centre car so it was added to a 3 car Limby unit so I now have a late batch 4 car unit.

Your class 107 conversion from the Hornby class 110 sounds very interesting, having something that sounds very close to the correct bodyside profile. Do you have a pic or pics available, please?

attachicon.gif100_4831.JPG

A Class 125 DMU departs

attachicon.gif100_4834a.jpg

attachicon.gif100_4836a.jpg

attachicon.gif100_4838.JPG

attachicon.gif100_4839a.jpg

attachicon.gif100_4841a.jpg

attachicon.gif100_4842a.jpg

attachicon.gif100_4843a.jpg

attachicon.gif100_4845.JPG

attachicon.gif100_4848a.jpg

attachicon.gif100_4849a.jpg

attachicon.gif100_4852a.jpg

attachicon.gif100_4854.JPG

Clive,

These photos have the greatest track / scenery ratio I've ever seen for an operational setup. Guinness Book of Records for you m' lad! Even the bridge lacks any approach ramps, outstanding effort.

The technicolor Dream-coat is just icing on the cake.

Colin 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Your class 107 conversion from the Hornby class 110 sounds very interesting, having something that sounds very close to the correct bodyside profile. Do you have a pic or pics available, please?

Hi Steve

Here is one from the other evening.

post-16423-0-08813600-1525507950_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Clive,

These photos have the greatest track / scenery ratio I've ever seen for an operational setup. Guinness Book of Records for you m' lad! Even the bridge lacks any approach ramps, outstanding effort.

The technicolor Dream-coat is just icing on the cake.

Colin 

Thank you Colin

I had an empty room at Christmas I now have a functioning train set. I am now in a position to commence modelling at my own pace doing which bits I want to and when. I have piles of part built stock, luckily I can pick them up when I want to, do a wee bit of work on them and then pack them away as the mood takes me. The Trans Pennine unit is a good example, this time last week it had no motor and the TSO was a Lima coach which wouldn't have matched the rest of the train. It now works and all coaches come form the same manufacturer.

I wanted a layout where operation was the important part. A realistic track plan for the station was essential, hence based on the 1977 remodelling of Kings Cross and operational potential of Derek Shore's Avondale which I have admired since seeing it in the Modeller in 1970.

When driving a train into the station I can see the station in my minds eye, who need scenery when having fun.

• Like 6