Bachmann OO Announcements July 2014

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Read the thread, from the beginning.  Rumourtrol, various, said 3 new mouldings in 00 - that would appear to be correct if you read the thread as there could be a potential third one yet to be revealed.

Who or what is "Rumourtrol" and why single out their postings to mention as opposed to any of the others?

I have read the thread, from the beginning. Lots of people have said lots of things.

Some, in my view, have had inside information that they were expecting in this announcement and it wasn't there and posted in phrases designed to make it look as if they were guessing but really knew.

Some may have thought that they had inside information but may have been led up the garden path.

Many more were just "wishlisting".

My personal view is that there are probably at least two more models to be revealed.

One is the NRM special and there is at least one more for the main range, unless Bachmann have decided to postpone it. Based on the postings that I am guessing are from people in the know, I suggest an NRM GNR Atlantic plus an LNWR Coal Tank. The Atlantic to be 251 as preserved with a view to other versions later and the Coal Tank in LMS or BR livery with a perhaps a view to possibly doing 1089 as an NRM special later (as happened with the L & Y tank).

That would make the 3 new mouldings. The Class 90 plus these two.

I have no inside information, I am basing that purely on reading this thread and looking at the way these two locos have been mentioned by others.

It is all great fun!

That has to have been the biggest build up to absolutely nothing.

Looks like Heljan's taking the blue box lead this year.

Hi,

Heljan taking the lead - I think not.

Although if dimensional errors, poor assembly, livery errors and mechanisms that fail through split universal joint parts are the benchmark then yes perhaps Heljan do take the lead !!.

Regards

The class 90 has been top of my wish list for the last few years and with Dapol's class 68 this balances out the lack of modern image models from Hornby this year who are doing 5 new steam loco's. I remember a time when one or two models a year was normal we are still spoilt this year with new models

Who or what is "Rumourtrol" and why single out their postings to mention as opposed to any of the others?

A internet 'trol' - Someone who posts things looking to cause annoyance or trouble.

Therefore, a 'Rumourtrol' is someone who spreads rumours with the intent to either mislead, or start a discussion.

• RMweb Premium

Post Office Stowage vans are not listed on the update of previous items in progress... presumably they are at the bottom of the pile, or have they been dropped?

Still listed on the forthcoming items page of Bachmann's website here http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/prod1.php?prod_selected=branchline&prod=6 along with a lot of other items at various stages of development.

Bachman has made no bones about the need to substantially increase prices.  They would be well aware that this might also impact sales volume and their bottom line.  I regard a year when there is more consolidation than widespread new announcements as a sound business decision.  There isn't money to throw around at present and Bachmann / Kader will surely want to see how the new pricing regime settles and impacts the business before investing too heavily in new items.

Having said that a second 171 in Southern livery won't go amiss here ;)   Please may we have end coupling options this time and suitable to retrofit to the previous 158 / 171 as well.

This is of course what happens when you engage in and encourage the pointless wish listing that goes on here. Everyone builds themselves up into a froth of which specific must-have engine they are convinced a manufacturer will release...and then it's Bachmann's fault for hyping 'nothing' up when it's not announced.

Step back and look at the volume of models in the pipeline from Bachmann - something like 20 models I think? Remembering this is a 'half' announcement (releases for this year rather than the usual 18 month period), and that there is an unexpected extra AC electric release, and a move into a brand new gauge, some perspective is surely needed.

In 8 months we get a whole other set of new releases announced...it really is a golden age for model railways, choice has never been so great or the standard so high

David

• RMweb Gold

A internet 'trol' - Someone who posts things looking to cause annoyance or trouble.

Therefore, a 'Rumourtrol' is someone who spreads rumours with the intent to either mislead, or start a discussion.

A very small number of us, apparently, were sent what amounted to a malicious PM on Friday evening, containing links to some of the pages now made public. The member concerned had joined RMweb just minutes before, and presumably hoped one of us would go for the sensation by blowing Bachmann's embargo and embarrassing the Forum. Wrong.

• RMweb Premium

I think if Bachmann had said at the outset , this will be a year of consolidation, there is turmoil in China and we need to sort out the backlog of models, then people would have been understanding. But the fact is with the "top secret" hype and delay to July to celebrate their 25th anniversary , expectations were higher. Following their previous announcements to do with price rises,I was expecting three new locomotive models. I see the class 90. I appear to be 2 short of a full set.

The 009 announcement should have been made separately . Instead it's submerged in where are the OO models postings. Really this is not brilliant marketing and not up to Bachmanns usual standard

Can only assume that something has happened very late in the day to curtail this years range, otherwise their marketing has been massively over hyped and given the negativity generated, incompetent. And if there is a new NRM model why wait until 29th. Surely it could have been jointly announced today.

Some folk have said they welcome the Class 90 as if it were something they had been waiting years for. Why?  A quick search revealed that Hornby had produced the class 90 in a variety of liveries. I can only assume this duplication is politics (as a result of Bachmann having to scrap its development of the GER J15 because of Hornby's announcement). 

• RMweb Gold

Some folk have said they welcome the Class 90 as if it were something they had been waiting years for. Why?  A quick search revealed that Hornby had produced the class 90 in a variety of liveries. I can only assume this duplication is politics (as a result of Bachmann having to scrap its development of the GER J15 because of Hornby's announcement). 

Not a model on my radar, Larry, but I do recall a whole long thread - started by a member in India, I think - bemoaning the lack of quality in the Hornby model, and seeking an upgrade. The thread had an awful lot of contributions, presumably supporting his view, so Bachmann may be on a winner here.

cor blimey the sour grapes are running out fast.....i do wonder if all the various pot shots would be made by earlier commentators if their wishes had been fulfilled today. no.didnt think so. be funny if later announcements reveal something they were hoping for just to read the turnaround excuses.....

The class 90 is still relevant in the modern traction world and the Hornby model is lacking severely not least in the motor bogie. It was ripe for producing a new model and it's a wonder that it didn't happen sooner (as with the excellent looking class 73 electro diesel).

So duplication - maybe not - low hanging fruit? Definitely.

I'm concerned that the Gresley V3 - a perennial seller and much required by LNER/ER modellers - and the Ivatt tank - both have not followed the V2 and A4 straight away with new chassis.

Bizarre. Easy money.

Problem is Larry, the 90 has never been updated by Hornby in the same way that their steam range has been transformed.  

So the Hornby model is a generally useless lump that has sold principally to the undiscerning, as a distress purchase, or basis for extensive and tricky upgrading.

If Hornby ain't bothering with it and it sells, who can blame Bachmann for raising the bar?

Oh ye of little faith..patience,we are told,is a virtue.

Nothing to do with patience its all the overdone hype as usual.

They announced Thompson Coaches over a year ago, C1 (edit sorry) Marsh Atlantic this time last year etc etc , they havent even managed to get the drawings done on the Thompsons and the Atlantic isnt even being looked according to the list on page 1 !! 

Just read the over hyped/flowery announcement from Mr Hubbard,  something which seems to affect everything in life nowdays . Note the exciting announcements coming soon?? I thought this was the point of the 25 year celebrations. :jester:

I think its called "Pie in the Sky " the way things are going I doubt in any of this will be seen for at least two years.

• RMweb Premium

"Pie in the Sky "

At least there's a slice on the plate while we wait!  The shops are still well-stocked by and large which isn't always true of the Margate mob's products.  Now back to the froth-fest ;)

• RMweb Gold

cor blimey the sour grapes are running out fast....

be funny if later announcements reveal something they were hoping for just to read the turnaround excuses.....

But it was Bachmann decision to state that the new range would be announced today (including their 'click here' adverts on RMWEB pages). Seems like they should have made it clear that the accouncements would start today. Hence the questioning of how they have handled things

My bet would be on Kernow's exclusives, they hint at several large Bachmann contracts not so long ago. With any luck my Bullied diesels I have on order with them will be amongst them ( uses the same bogie as a class 40 after all).

One such item of collaboration between Kernow and Bachmann announced this week is a GWR Type 7 Signal Box based on the box Truro and many other locations - http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/43349/44011X_Bachmann_Scenecraft_GWR_Type_7_Signal_Box_Truro. Which while i'm pleased to see it appearing and i'll be putting in a preorder, I'd have preferred Bachmann to have released this type of GWR box a while ago and not the part on the platform ramp Blue Anchor box.

• RMweb Premium

One such item of collaboration between Kernow and Bachmann announced this week is a GWR Type 7 Signal Box based on the box Truro and many other locations - http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/43349/44011X_Bachmann_Scenecraft_GWR_Type_7_Signal_Box_Truro. Which while i'm pleased to see it appearing and i'll be putting in a preorder, I'd have preferred Bachmann to have released this type of GWR box a while ago and not the part on the platform ramp Blue Anchor box.

No doubt the Powers That Be at Bachmann may have felt such a piece didn't have the sales potential to be a catalogue item.  Full credit to Kernow MRC for commissioning yet another signal box and Cornish-themed structure however and I wish them well with it.  

Why, yes, I have been waiting for years.

A quick search revealed that Hornby had produced the class 90 in a variety of liveries

You should see what the Hornby offering looks like.

• RMweb Gold

Nothing to do with patience its all the overdone hype as usual.

They announced Thompson Coaches over a year ago, C1 Atlantic this time last year etc etc , they havent even managed to get the drawings done on the Thompsons and the C1 isnt even being looked according to the list on page 1 !! 

Just read the over hyped/flowery announcement from Mr Hubbard,  something which seems to affect everything in life nowdays . Note the exciting announcements coming soon?? I thought this was the point of the 25 year celebrations. :jester:

I think its called "Pie in the Sky " the way things are going I doubt in any of this will be seen for at least two years.

No......"Humble Pie",I believe....and it was the Marsh Atlantic that was announced.

The class 90 is probably the best "no brainer" to come out of the combined announcements. Few detail differences throughout the years (at least externally) but so many liveries to do. It's suitable for at least two if not three decades worth of modelling and the modern day still very much relevant.

So perhaps for a change the headliner isn't the steam locomotive, it's the expanding serious range of electric traction models. And for that, Bachmann has to be commended (though also the hypocrisy of "electrics don't sell" looks a bit trite!)

• RMweb Gold

A very small number of us, apparently, were sent what amounted to a malicious PM on Friday evening, containing links to some of the pages now made public. The member concerned had joined RMweb just minutes before, and presumably hoped one of us would go for the sensation by blowing Bachmann's embargo and embarrassing the Forum. Wrong.

Thank you for posting this.One would hope that the individual concerned is now denied access to RMWeb.and that the matter has been laid to rest permanently.

Archived