Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

While I agree the Heljan 86 was utterly terrible as whole, certain aspects of the model individually we're quite good.

2016 05 01 10.37.29

For instance, the Roofwell, sans Pantograph makes an excellent cut and shut into the Lima 87, which requires a little attention around the Pantograph mounting position to be a little more accurate. However, I'm lazy energy efficient, and thus my Helimjan 87 was born!

I've good faith in Bachmann with regards the Class 90. Although far outside my area of interest, I do want a nice RfD one for my display case, and the Chassis will make an excellent step to re-motoring 86's and 87's. I'm hoping some spare Bachmann Class 85 Alsthom bogies I have will be a direct swap for the BP9 bogies.

Regards

Matt

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

It may be a while before it's out, but who will be the first to snap up 90024 in Malcolm livery as a limited edition?

I'd imagine that by the time Bachmann's 90 appears that the prototype 90024 may well have been repainted again by then!

• 1 month later...

Judging by the Bachmann & Farish half-year product update we aren't likely to see this until 2018(?)

Time to save up the money I suppose.

Or alternatively buy a load of stuff on impulse to console myself in patience whilst we wait, and wait.

Like the way I only bought Kestrel to keep me happy whilst I was waiting for the Heljan Class 86.

Meanwhile the possibility (probability?) that a new Class 86 and 87 might now be 'cooking in the oven'....................

Edited by jonathan452
  • Like 2

Quite agree, the standard of the class 85 shows what Bachmann can do on the AC electrics and by saving up now will make purchasing easier when they do appear. I'm actually looking forward to the power haul one as if they do 90042 as pictured it appears at Waverley a lot.

Quite agree, the standard of the class 85 shows what Bachmann can do on the AC electrics and by saving up now will make purchasing easier when they do appear. I'm actually looking forward to the power haul one as if they do 90042 as pictured it appears at Waverley a lot.

I saw it there last week and cynically thought they're keeping it on the Edinburgh leg of the lowland Sleeper because it has a recent habit of bursting...post-6819-0-73360000-1471386297_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

An agreeable choice and they must have some confidence in their High speed pan.

90023 is interesting, it retained IC livery for long enough to be seen in this livery on Mk4 sets on the ECML, but lost its Pullman rubbing plates in the meantime, so perhaps Bachmann have acknowledged they don't have a complete passenger train go with it and have chosen a freight loco. One of the first 15 with large black numbers would have been a more general choice.

Looks as though 90023 has been changed to 90005 in the latest (2017) Bachmann catalogue.

Is that the estimated arrival year? Good news it's been brought forward 18 years .... I might not be here though to see it!

true but I might cancel my pre-order now Hornby have announced new Class 87' s due Q3 this year so you might be around to see at least those.

Still 90023 on the Bachmann website.

Roy

Yes it is just the prototype picture which shows 90 005. Which model will Bachmann produce?! Tbh I'd much prefer 005.

• RMweb Premium

Though the description in the catalogue (beneath the prototype picture at Carlisle) also refers to 90005 Financial Times.

Why (nearly always) namers? It's not as if 90005 was a celebrity. An unnamed one would be preferable as it easier to renumber.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 1

Why (nearly always) namers? It's not as if 90005 was a celebrity. An unnamed one would be preferable as it easier to renumber.

I think this is something that manufacturers would benefit from thinking a bit more about. Carefully chosen numbers could give us much more choice for relatively easy renumbering. I'd hazard a guess that there's a not insignificant number of us looking to buy several of a class for renumbering and that making it easier for us would encourage us to do just that?

I've just bought Bachmann's new 37401 Mary Queen of Scots, the longest single line nameplate in the class. If it had been Isle of Mull, for example, it would have been that much easier to rename and I might have bought two or even more. Instead, I'm just going to get one for now. 

• RMweb Premium

How dare they actually pay attention to what we say ;-)

Roy

They read this? ....

90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery;

Mmm... Yes the website description now changed too though no mention of name in the description - it's only show in the photograph. Does anyone know when this locomotive was named 'Financial Times'? Jim

Mmm... Yes the website description now changed too though no mention of name in the description - it's only show in the photograph. Does anyone know when this locomotive was named 'Financial Times'? Jim

From new I think because I took photos of it running through Crewe on a test train in 1988 and it had the plates fitted then