Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

Consider that carefully.

Bachmann now use Loksound Select decoders which can't be reblown.

They may well change this by the time they release the 90.

I cant really see them changing that pattern - for a Loksound V4 would it not increase the price by £40 or so with limited obvious differential in quality or benefits other than being reblowable?

None of the Class 90s were announced with sound anyway were they? We've not seen a sound Class 85 yet, I'd maybe be surprised if we do see a sound Class 90 - I think they might leave that to the after market to cater for

• 2 months later...

I still think it is going to be north of £250 for non DCC and £300+ for DCC sound.

Don't think it'll be that expensive, or else they'll never get all their investment back.... Hornby' new 87 price was released a few months ago and you can pre order at £135 on a particular box shifter site. I'd imagine detail wise they will to be of a similar high standard, perhaps add (wildly guessing) £20 for the operating pantograph and I reckon about £160 ish for non dcc discounted price.... Now never mind class 90 0r 87's..... who's doing the new class 86????

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It is interesting though, this newish development of tba prices. Have retailers placed orders with Bachmann and , if so on what basis? It's a bit of an open ended commitment on the part of retailers if they are placing orders without knowing the price. I'm sure in my organisation financial standards would mean you need to know price before ordering to prevent that open ended commitment. And I suppose if the price comes in at £150 you are going to sell a lot more of them than at £200+, so how do you know how much to order. Fascinating .

Well known example, Hattons make it clear that future prices are estimated, and the customer has the option of cancelling an order if a price change is advised. Good deal, retailer carries the risk. We don't know what their operational model is, although from observation over the years it appears to be order 'sufficient' (to at least cover customer orders) or the maximum quantity the supplier can make available, which ever is the smaller.

• RMweb Premium

Well known example, Hattons make it clear that future prices are estimated, and the customer has the option of cancelling an order if a price change is advised. Good deal, retailer carries the risk. We don't know what their operational model is, although from observation over the years it appears to be order 'sufficient' (to at least cover customer orders) or the maximum quantity the supplier can make available, which ever is the smaller.

I was thinking more what your local model shop does Bachann make a great deal of supporting their dealership network. I just wonder what they do here. Take orders that are unpriced with option to amend when price known?

I'd imagine come the turn of the year with the new brochure issued, then Bachmann will commit to a price.... I think Hornby committed to a price for the 87 (as from memory) it was possibly being released originally the tail end of this year...

Nice to see my original estimate of my model railway shed being completed just in time for the new Bachmann Class 90 being released might actually be true.

​i can't moan at Bachmann for late delivery when I had my model shed built six or more years ago and is only just being ply-lined, electrified and having baseboards built.  Bachmann and I clearly have the same project planning skillset.

Nice to see my original estimate of my model railway shed being completed just in time for the new Bachmann Class 90 being released might actually be true.

​i can't moan at Bachmann for late delivery when I had my model shed built six or more years ago and is only just being ply-lined, electrified and having baseboards built.  Bachmann and I clearly have the same project planning skillset.

And in the meantime, I suppose your leaky old shed was doing just fine, and exhibition quality detailed Hornby 90s have been available for less than fifty quid...

The shed isn't leaky, it's withstood West Wales gales well, the lining is to help with the construction of the baseboards and layout.  Also I have two Hornby 90s but no amount of exhibition detailing will replace the pancake motor or other faults with what was a nice model in it's time, but which will be overtaken by the Bachmann model.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I see Bachmann have just announced the 90 is going to be with us next July/August, at last, we can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel on this one. I am modelling up to the minute AC traction and am a bit disappointed not to see a DB 90 of some kind. I guess it was always going to be that or Freightliner and they opted for freightliner Powerhaul to go with. I guess my first 90 will be off to the paint shop when it arrives in August/Sept 2018. I have already written to Bachmann about this already. I envisage having at least half a dozen 90s in one DB form or another. Hopefully, the first one they do in DB is the Malcolm Logistics 90024, fingers crossed.

• Like 2

I see Bachmann have just announced the 90 is going to be with us next July/August, at last, we can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel on this one. I am modelling up to the minute AC traction and am a bit disappointed not to see a DB 90 of some kind. I guess it was always going to be that or Freightliner and they opted for freightliner Powerhaul to go with. I guess my first 90 will be off to the paint shop when it arrives in August/Sept 2018. I have already written to Bachmann about this already. I envisage having at least half a dozen 90s in one DB form or another. Hopefully, the first one they do in DB is the Malcolm Logistics 90024, fingers crossed.

Yeah problem is you can write to Bachmann until you are blue in the face, but unless another 3000 people want a Malcolm one, it won't get made !

Yeah problem is you can write to Bachmann until you are blue in the face, but unless another 3000 people want a Malcolm one, it won't get made !

Unless they are fools (and I don't think they are by and large.) Manufacturers pick models to get as many sales out of he tooling as possible. That means they pick prototypes that have the same Design or only minor changes, ran for a long time, and had many different liveries. AFAIK the 90 has not undergone any major visible changes in its construction and has appeared in a number of different liveries, thus making it likely to be decorated in the one you're looking for at some stage.

If you're looking for variants of Freightliner, Virgin or other common liveries you should see your desired model at some stage. If you're looking for something applied to a single loco that ran at 1500 on the 12th of Never, but was repainted shortly after, your best bet will be to provide exhaustive details to one of the excellent companies that will repaint one in your choice. In the end the manufacturers need to make a profit and if your choice doesn't meet the criteria for mass production, it won't get made.

Regards

Ian_B

Unless they are fools (and I don't think they are by and large.) Manufacturers pick models to get as many sales out of he tooling as possible. That means they pick prototypes that have the same Design or only minor changes, ran for a long time, and had many different liveries. AFAIK the 90 has not undergone any major visible changes in its construction and has appeared in a number of different liveries, thus making it likely to be decorated in the one you're looking for at some stage.

If you're looking for variants of Freightliner, Virgin or other common liveries you should see your desired model at some stage. If you're looking for something applied to a single loco that ran at 1500 on the 12th of Never, but was repainted shortly after, your best bet will be to provide exhaustive details to one of the excellent companies that will repaint one in your choice. In the end the manufacturers need to make a profit and if your choice doesn't meet the criteria for mass production, it won't get made.

Regards

Ian_B

Yep, I think that's what I was saying . I don't want a Malcolm one

Regards

Ian_B

What an odd thing to say when evidence is to the contrary. 

1. Bachmann have previously released two class 66s in Malcolm Logistics liveries. 

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/32-979_1.jpg

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/371-381_1017448_Qty1_1.JPG

2. 90024 has featured its 'Scottish Scenic' livery since June 2016 and have since been in service multiple times a week, covering a vast geographical area. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/37260/27267560833/

http://uk.dbcargo.com/rail-uk-en/News_Media/news/11630566/Highland_scene_logistics_partnership.html

3. The above would suggest, not only is Malcolm Logistics liveries on models rather popular, but it ticks the long service in a livery and a large spacial area. Suggesting 90024 is an ideal model for Bachmann to produce either as a limited edition (as the livery would use their digital ink jet printing which is expensive) or in the main range as they have sold thousands of 66s in such branding. 

Edited by 159220

I'm going to jump in here and have to agree with everyone that is holding out for at least a LE of 90024. It does appear all the time and looks to be a loco that db are willing to turn out on most of it's work. I would defiantly be purchasing one from whoever wishes to commission this model.

You have to look at the way the special livery class 66s sell and how many their are. It proves there is a market out there for it and that looks evident on this thread. 

Benjamin