Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

I'd also like 90024.. in GNER!

The European foursome have to be a Ltd Edition at some pont you would think...

It might depend on the cost. With operating pantographs these locos are not going to be cheap for one, never mind 4

Eye catching one-offs seem to attract people, can't quite work out why as I prefer more mundane everyday liveries.  I therefore expect once the model is out and the more run of the mill liveries are being released (RES, Virgin, "Mainline", grey Frightliner and Abellio East Anglian liveries must be high on the release list for Bachmann) then the one offs will emerge, probably via retailer commissions.  I can't see them not being produced, they will be too popular.

• Like 1

I'd also like 90024.. in GNER!

The European foursome have to be a Ltd Edition at some pont you would think...

a set of 4 together? I'd think they really need to wait and see how sales of the common liveries go first and how prices rise over the next year or two. You could be looking at not getting much change of £1000 for a limited edition set of four ... I'd be very surprised if that would sell all that well. Individually possibly

a set of 4 together? I'd think they really need to wait and see how sales of the common liveries go first and how prices rise over the next year or two. You could be looking at not getting much change of £1000 for a limited edition set of four ... I'd be very surprised if that would sell all that well. Individually possibly

Depends. They could be released to coincide with our supposed deadline for departure from the EU, to celebrate / commemorate (delete according to taste). Once in a lifetime thing, lots of passion involved.

Paul

What an odd thing to say when evidence is to the contrary. 

1. Bachmann have previously released two class 66s in Malcolm Logistics liveries. 

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/32-979_1.jpg

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/371-381_1017448_Qty1_1.JPG

2. 90024 has featured its 'Scottish Scenic' livery since June 2016 and have since been in service multiple times a week, covering a vast geographical area. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/37260/27267560833/

http://uk.dbcargo.com/rail-uk-en/News_Media/news/11630566/Highland_scene_logistics_partnership.html

3. The above would suggest, not only is Malcolm Logistics liveries on models rather popular, but it ticks the long service in a livery and a large spacial area. Suggesting 90024 is an ideal model for Bachmann to produce either as a limited edition (as the livery would use their digital ink jet printing which is expensive) or in the main range as they have sold thousands of 66s in such branding.

Well that suggests they thought it might be popular......but I seem to recall some of these hanging around a lot, EWS ones were much more popular.

It's your own personal obsession, but I find it a rather boring livery. I quite like RFD and RES though

• RMweb Premium

Maybe they'll do something like they did this year and have area specials . That means it's spreading revenue out over the dealer network. Folks can buy all 4 or just the one. I still think the cost of the main range loco will be eye watering though , never mind a special edition

Eye watering at the RRP maybe, but they'll be so few of us paying RRP its not even worth over-thinking the price.  

Not sure if this model will come in non-DCC form if the pantograph is DCC operation only.  If the modeller can raise or lower it manually or on DC then non DCC is obviously a possibility but it doesn't sound quite right.   I haven't read whether Bachmann are fitting two types of pan depending on whether its DCC operation or manual or whether it can function whether dcc fitted or not s via DC ?

I suspect it will be DCC fitted (non-sound) to allow operation of the pan and so reckon the RRP will be around £195 to come out at about £170 at the real world price.

• RMweb Premium

I've longed for 90 024 in Malcolm livery since the prototye was first announced (post #369). I agree it is more likely to be a Retailer commission than a standard stock livery. One of the real issues will be obtaining the relevant permissions, of both DB Cargo, The Malcolm Group and possibly even the photographer Colin Prior as well.

With regards to Colin Prior, hopefully this will be assured. Corgi have a 1:50 set of trucks which go for £500 (discounted) a pop!.

post-22167-0-39996000-1508829247.jpg

The image on the Class 90 is of Ben Mo`r Coigach and readily available in a number of prints. I wonder therforefore if one of the respray companies, could mockup the 90 by putting the image onto a waterslide type transfer?

https://colinprior.co.uk/shop/ben-more-and-stac-pollaidh/

Not my picture:

post-22167-0-05369700-1508829442_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scottish-Exile
  • Like 4

I prefer more mundane liveries too but I guess we are in the minority.

Another vote for mundane (but preferably attractive) liveries. I like the typical rather than the unusual. I can’t say I like splattering pictures over vehicles – I like liveries which pay some attention to the shape underneath. Some modern liveries are very attractive and some not. Years ago it was much the same. Early green diesels used side stripes to detract from the slab-sided nature of the things and draw the eye along the direction of travel. Plain blue failed to do that. Then the HST arrived.  :)

Another vote for mundane (but preferably attractive) liveries. I like the typical rather than the unusual. I can’t say I like splattering pictures over vehicles – I like liveries which pay some attention to the shape underneath. Some modern liveries are very attractive and some not. Years ago it was much the same. Early green diesels used side stripes to detract from the slab-sided nature of the things and draw the eye along the direction of travel. Plain blue failed to do that. Then the HST arrived. :)

I'm always intrigued by the design decisions taken about the early green period. Why, for example, did the Class 37 appear in unrelieved slab-sided green, without any accenting? Conversely, the attention obviously paid to getting the Class 17 green livery looking absolutely right was surprising, given the likely nature of its traffic.

Incidentally, I like both locos in their respective green liveries. I'm just intrigued by the design process.

Paul

• Like 1

I'm always intrigued by the design decisions taken about the early green period. Why, for example, did the Class 37 appear in unrelieved slab-sided green, without any accenting? Conversely, the attention obviously paid to getting the Class 17 green livery looking absolutely right was surprising, given the likely nature of its traffic.

Incidentally, I like both locos in their respective green liveries. I'm just intrigued by the design process.

Paul

One I thought was particularly neat was the 47 with the light green side stripe the same width as the yellow panel and the two touching each other. Someone wide awake was in charge of the crayons that day!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...