Bachmann announce Narrow Gauge range led by Baldwin 4-6-0T

Andy Y

They are the HO scale ones repainted. It's nice to see that they haven't loaded the price like they did for the CSD liveried ones...

Seems rather expensive to me for some rather old and crude models. The locomotive no doubt will be a lot better but still rather pricey for such a small model.

The W&L coaches are expensive. At £37.70 on Bachmanns website it seems like the UK is being ripped off again. They are just under 40 Euros in Germany and with the current exchange rate of over 1.40 that equates to under £29.

Mind you I can remember when the Zillertal coaches were only 15/- (that's 75p for you young ones).

Brian G.

• RMweb Gold

The W&L coaches are expensive. At £37.70 on Bachmanns website it seems like the UK is being ripped off again. They are just under 40 Euros in Germany and with the current exchange rate of over 1.40 that equates to under £29.

Mind you I can remember when the Zillertal coaches were only 15/- (that's 75p for you young ones).

Brian G.

Yes, but back then Hornby Tri-ang coaches were about eight and sixpence. 

Liliput HOe has always been pricey, especially in the UK.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

presumably 15 bob was quite a lot of cash back in the day...?

my Roco H0e loco was £14.50 when bought new in 1981, a stack of cash for a 14 year old back then!

plus ca change...

cheers,

Keith

PS still got the loco though :-) 

Liliput HOe has always been pricey, especially in the UK.

Oh, I'll admit they weren't cheap, especially to an apprentice on £5 a week. I don't know if or how much the tooling has been renewed over the years, but it seems strange that the modern Zillertal bogie coaches are cheaper than the 46 plus year old 4 wheelers. I do remember back then that Liliput were going to bring out a W&L loco, but it never materialized.

Brian G. 

• 7 months later...

At Ally Pally today there were a few samples in the members lounge.

Not so much sneaking required - permission for photos freely given:

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/sYY4yuc7JqL7kbqXM3xRNbQQZldFXx8dpCM0Yie66R1

Apparently all of the doors on the covered wagon open in order to allow for more modelling possibilities

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/2Gaq993SdWgtOQDPhoRrYZIJOSy3th8rBjZqINOEGmQ

This photos don't do the Baldwin justice. Stunning model. All drive is transmitted through the firebox so there isn't a hint of the daylight under the boiler being obscured. Definite sale here

Edited by Edge
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

At Ally Pally today there were a few samples in the members lounge.

Not so much sneaking required - permission for photos freely given:

https://www.amazon.c...a1isGVkSsI5ssTT

Apparently all of the doors on the covered wagon open in order to allow for more modelling possibilities

https://www.amazon.c...iMMelBNLpZgrOZ5

This photos don't do the Baldwin justice. Stunning model. All drive is transmitted through the firebox so there isn't a hint of the daylight under the boiler being obscured. Definite sale here

I don't think those links are working...

• RMweb Premium

Try it now, have adjusted them. Apologies for the problems

Working now, thanks.

I agree, the Baldwin does look nice, and probably expensive to assemble.

• RMweb Premium

I found it takes a good few seconds for the pages to fully load even though the page appears to complete. Also, use the links in the original post, not the quoted links in the later post.

I just tried them again, and it appears the images have been removed... :scratchhead:

Edited by Ian J.

• RMweb Gold

Also it's been designed with sound in mind with space for a speaker! Now if that can become the standard of thought in design maybe we can get away from speakers in tenders on big steam locos too ;)

IMG_3361_zpsocifdmmx.jpg

IMG_3359_zpsmyasojfl.jpg

IMG_3353_zps842smjau.jpg

IMG_3348_zpsk2jrwpkl.jpg

I have been contemplating a small 00-9 layout as a break from the ECML and this certainly adds to the temptation!

The model looks super.  I have been contributing my £2/month to the 590 fund for, it seems, ever.  Given WHHR and Bachmann lead times, I wonder which will appear first - the protoype or the model?