Bachmann announce Narrow Gauge range led by Baldwin 4-6-0T

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for correcting me, problem is I don't look on here (or Hattons website come to that) all that often, more important things to do...modelling etc!

Well expect it to be good Steve. Roy Link said on NGRM he provided the drawings so they've done their homework well.

I look while things are drying ;)

• 4 weeks later...

RRPs are now on the Bachmann website:

• Baldwin loco: £144.95, weathered £154.95
  • Covered Goods Wagon: £33.95, weathered £36.95
  • Open Bogie Wagon: £24.95, weathered £27.95
Interesting to compare these prices with Lilliput HOe. The wagons are in the same price range, but the locomotives are about £20 cheaper (In comparison with the steam locos)
  • Like 1

Locos are notoriously difficult to compare... Look at the o-4-0 diesel, that is cheaper even though it has outside frames and full lighting... All I'd say is that the prices are comparable, anything around the £150 mark for such a loco seems to be the going rate...

I would like to see Bachmann doing a 'proper' versions of Thomas range of 009 stuff.

That would be nice, but it would need a whole new set of tools as the ones they have for the Thomas range are licensed for producing and distributing the Thomas locos only. The cost of producing a new set of tools would far exceed any expected return on them.

The conversion of the Thomas locos is a fairly simple one which could easily tempt a beginner down the kitbuilding road.

I agree that it would be nice to see, especially with a factory printed livery as I suspect that would be where a lot of conversions would falter.

The Baldwin however, looks to be absolutely spot on, and I'm looking forward to the range expanding (hopefully)

Cheers

J

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This has been covered at length already, there's no possibility of converting the Thomas range as it's been locked out in the contract.

Certain retailers have been saying they will, and caused a bit of a stink, but Bachmann UK stated last year there was no TR version possible.

There's a very simple conversion kit available from Narrow Planet and one of the guys on NGRM has produced the transfers too.

Luckily Bachmann seem to have decided to make it's Thomas 009 range as scale models, I suspect because they knew they couldn't produce the real ones but knew that if they were accurate (close!) enough people would buy them and could convert them... Bit of lateral thinking, good on them!

• 1 month later...

They certainly look the part, especially the open cab Peggy version, and pricing seems very fair in comparison to other offerings. The Vehicles are a bit high, but interiors and doors are fitted.......009 is getting a whole lot more interesting at present, I hope Bachmann do introduce others but it will be a long wait unless sales rocket on these offerings.

Trench warfare layouts may proliferate now, well to be more accurate, supply trains to the areas behind the trenches, fuel and ammunition dumps and food supplies, plus moving up troops and taking troops back from the front areas. At least Military modeller shops can supply the figures needed and other vehicles and ordinance, although most is a bit more expensive than railway modellers are used to.

The sell on to private industry after the war, and short lines, gives a massive choice for the models, even if not totally accurate for some real systems.

The locos really suit small diorama layouts designed for viewing all round with the war setting, and of course there are German outline if you want to have both sides of a trench setup. The size difference with the Minitrains 080 is not too obvious, and in the war setting they never meet for comparison!

Two camps, a no mans land with trenches and another camp on the other side, a huge modelling potential in a small area, complete with ordinance, again lots of kits made, and an excuse to use the Airfix ruined buildings kits. Add in lighting effects to simulate bomb flashes and you will have a winner of a layout.

Stephen

The locos really suit small diorama layouts designed for viewing all round with the war setting, and of course there are German outline if you want to have both sides of a trench setup. The size difference with the Minitrains 080 is not too obvious, and in the war setting they never meet for comparison!

Actually they did meet paticularly after the German spring 1918 offensive (Operation Michael) which overran a large part of the British narrow gauge system and captured some of the stock.   

• RMweb Premium

Actually they did meet paticularly after the German spring 1918 offensive (Operation Michael) which overran a large part of the British narrow gauge system and captured some of the stock.   

And when they forced the Germans back they not only recovered some of the equipment they also captured some German equipment.

• RMweb Premium

The German rolling stock is correctly HO scale. Narrow gauge stock tends to be more variable in size , so I don't think the scale difference will be much of a problem if you want to mix them up.

Strange to move from HO,

If you mean Minitrains it's worth pointing out that although they say they are HOe or HOn30 on their blurb they tend to model with a "flexible ruler" just like the Egger stuff a lot of their locos are based on... The Brigadelok is definitely nearer OO than HO but their Baldwin is nearer HO!

Yes, NG comes in all shapes and sizes but my own view is that if you say it is a model of a set loco then that's what it should be, not a mixture of scales... But I'm in a minority with that school of thought and most 009-ers are happy to accept the differences and run them all together...

That's fine by me but one reason I haven't bought any Minitrains locos... Yet! ;)

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1

This has appeared on the Bachmann website, and features a video of two of the production samples running. They certainly do look very smooth!

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/details.php?id=406

I did take some photos at the York show, but haven't got around to getting them off my camera yet, when I do, I'll post them!

Very much looking forward to my WHR version, and I've or two of the open waggons

Cheers

J

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Bachmann video says the locos have a pre-wired speaker in the bunker - I wonder how much that adds to the price for us non-DCC modellers?

Probably in real terms £3-5 but then the DCC modellers are paying for a capacitor we don't need as it's in the chip we buy ;) it runs fine without either of them but it would cost more to separate the batch into with and without so it makes sense to offer one option. Sorry that's reality with the assembly.