Bachmann announce Narrow Gauge range led by Baldwin 4-6-0T

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Have Bachmann given any suggestion of the price for the Baldwin ?

I wonder how it will compare with the Heljan L & B Manning Wardle which looks rather expensive at £190 when compared with their standard gauge 4mm locos.

They might also have the ROD 2-8-0 in ROD livery up their sleave for later this year, perhaps as a Collectors Club model ?

RB

If I were Bachmann, I'd be reluctant to put a price on the Baldwin until I was confident of being able to stick to it.

To make such a small mechanism perform well, the level of engineering in Heljan's MW will have to be several steps higher than their SG offerings. Also, many of those share a number of common components which help to keep the prices down.

The ROD question has been well-covered elsewhere. It wouldn't be a straight re-livery as the military version needs several additions for which Bachmann have not (so far) tooled the parts. So far as I know, the Robinson 2-8-0 was not adopted by the ROD until part way through the war so this year is too soon anyway!

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

If I were Bachmann, I'd be reluctant to put a price on the Baldwin until I was confident of being able to stick to it.

To make such a small mechanism perform well, the level of engineering in Heljan's MW will have to be several steps higher than their SG offerings. Also, many of those share a number of common components which help to keep the prices down.

The ROD question has been well-covered elsewhere. It wouldn't be a straight re-livery as the military version needs several additions for which Bachmann have not (so far) tooled the parts. So far as I know, the Robinson 2-8-0 was not adopted by the ROD until part way through the war so this year is too soon anyway!

John

I doubt, in today's climate of cost increases, if Bachmann would even think of putting a price on the Baldwin until they know the ex factory cost - and that must be some way off as yet. And yes - in centenary terms the ROD 2-8-0 is some way off, as is the n.g. Baldwin of course as they didn't appear until 1916.

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget that there are already narrow gauge locos in the Bachmann range from Liliput - a quick search found this example of an Austrian 0-6-2 loco priced at £125

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/2451_1_105880392.html

Of course that is an old model which will have covered its costs some time ago and being HOe had a wider Continental market rather than OO9 being more restricted to 4mm modelling.

Don't forget that there are already narrow gauge locos in the Bachmann range from Liliput - a quick search found this example of an Austrian 0-6-2 loco priced at £125

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/2451_1_105880392.html

Of course that is an old model which will have covered its costs some time ago and being HOe had a wider Continental market rather than OO9 being more restricted to 4mm modelling..

The RRP is rather higher than £125.  http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/prod1.php?prod_selected=liliputhoe&prod=0

Of course that is an old model which will have covered its costs some time ago and being HOe had a wider Continental market rather than OO9 being more restricted to 4mm modelling..

The U class has been produced by Liliput for many years now, but the current model is not the old one but a completely reworked version introduced a few years ago, I'm not sure if any of the old one is left in the new version!

Hit the nail on the head with your second comment, Mike, though many people seem unable to see the relevance and still compare with OO scale RTR when looking at pricing of 009 (and other NG) for some unknown reason!

Blair

Edited by Hobby

• 2 weeks later...

Baldwin No 778 visited the Midland Railex at Butterley over the weekend, attached to the newly restored Ashover coach and Hudson D wagon a scene fro the Ashover Light Railway was created.

Have found some superb photo's by Ian Castledine, he has digitally altered 778 number to reflect the names of former ALR engines, but that's all,hope you enjoy these images:

post-12870-0-02889900-1408394048.jpg

post-12870-0-66157400-1408394031_thumb.jpg

post-12870-0-49612300-1408394078_thumb.jpg

post-12870-0-68916400-1408394120_thumb.jpg

Edited by EE 8SVT
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

All US Army by the looks of things, so 1917-18 :-)

Definitely all US so, as you say, quite late in the war - although much (all?) of what they were operating was equipment originally designed to British specs (there was some French) and in many cases was I believe diverted to use by the US forces from the original orderers/recipients.

Baldwin No 778 visited the Midland Railex at Butterley over the weekend, attached to the newly restored Ashover coach and Hudson D wagon a scene fro the Ashover Light Railway was created.

Have found some superb photo's by Ian Castledine, he has digitally altered 778 number to reflect the names of former ALR engines, but that's all,hope you enjoy these images:

attachicon.gifBaldwin GVLR 7 IC.jpg

attachicon.gifBaldwin GVLR 6 IC.jpg

I really wish I could have been there. Great photos

We had a trip out to the Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway at Ingoldmells, Skegness last month to have a look at the WD stock (which was actually all squirrelled-away in the shed, but they were kind enough to let us have an impromptu tour :) )

post-6843-0-01666000-1408454275_thumb.jpg

post-6843-0-03868400-1408454284_thumb.jpg

WD Ambulance wagon

post-6843-0-92395400-1408454293_thumb.jpg

WD Class D wagon (1)

post-6843-0-54878600-1408454301.jpg

WD Class D wagon (2)

post-6843-0-03421200-1408454312_thumb.jpg

post-6843-0-20182400-1408454322_thumb.jpg

WD Class D wagon (3)

post-6843-0-47405200-1408454264_thumb.jpg

WD Class P ration wagon

They also have a variety of stock from the Ashover & Sand Hutton Light Railways & the Nocton Potato Railway, there's a short ride to be had (Ashover coach & 'dressed-up' Simplex) & everybody was very approachable & friendly, so all-in-all it was a very good trip! :good:

• Like 10

I also use PECO n gauge setrack (as in my profile picture!) for the coal loops where I wanted tighter radius points (Crazy track are 1ft radius whereas setract are 9 inch). Looking at photos of the GVT the setrack sleeper spacing seems a close match than crazy track. However, I may try the new mainline track for a planned extension.

As to the gauges of the Baldwins both te Glyn Valley and Snailbeech & District had to have their re-gauged (2' 4.5" and 2' 4")

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Have just been looking at the Liliput 2015 New Release List and see that they are releasing some ex-Zillertalbahn 2-axle coaches that ran or are running on the Welshpool and Llanfair. Details are:

L344360   2-axle Coach C569 (ex-B25) in green livery

L344361   2-axle Coach B27 in brown livery

L344362   2-axle Coach B20 in brown livery (different design to L344361

Details on www.liliput.de, download the New Release leaflet and go to page 19.

If Liliput are doing some W&L coaches does this infer that Bachmann maybe announcing a W&L locomotive?

Bring on the Earl and Countess :imsohappy:  :whistle:

Keith

• Like 1

That's a rather large leap of faith, Keith. Liliput started doing "other countries liveried" Austrian NG stock a few years ago when the did the Czech ones, so I suspect this is more of a continuation of that having seen that there may be a market for a cheap (for them) conversion. BTW they heavily loaded the prices of the Czech stuff even though it was just a quick paint job so I wouldn't hold your breath on price... 

And they are still HO scale and look rather silly alongside a Langley Sir D! What would be more useful would be a Worsely Works scratch aid kit for them in 4mm scale for those who model in 009...

Edited by Hobby

• 2 weeks later...

Pictures on page 23 of minitrains proposed Baldwin 2-6-2

http://www.bahnerlebnis-shop.de/Minitrains003.pdf

Their brigadelok was close to 4mm scale so this may well make a good arch for the Bachmann 4-6-0 to give a WW1 themed layout some variety

Weren't the WD 2-6-2PTs built by ALCO (as per FR "MOUNTAINEER")?

..... but then again, I've a vague recollection that there were some BALDWIN 2-6-2PTs too.

So who's going to offer an RTR Hunslet 4-6-0T ?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Mountaineer is a heavily modified Alco 2-6-2. Both made 2-6-2's for the war effort but the Baldwin 4-6-0 is better known I suppose. The Hunslet is the best looking though ;)

Baldwin 2-6-2 here thanks to Richard on NGRM

http://marc-andre-dubout.org/cf/baguenaude/felin-hen/felin-hen-english.htm

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium

Baldwin made 4-6-0s for the WD. The USA preferred the 2-6-2 arrangement, so the design was modified by Baldwin. Alco also built 2-6-2s for the USA, their version had outside frames. Examples of both can be seen in France at Tacot des Lacs.

• 3 weeks later...

HATTONS  are  listing  3  x  Welshpool &  Llanfair  4wl coaches  ( Ex Zillertal)   £35  pre order so anyones  geuss when they will be  available  although  the  coaches  are/were?   already produced so its only  a case of  painting  and lettering  for  the  W&L

These are on  the  Liliput  Section,  I cant see anything  on  the Bachmann UK  site   referring to  these

HATTONS  are  listing  3  x  Welshpool &  Llanfair  4wl coaches  ( Ex Zillertal)   £35  pre order so anyones  geuss when they will be  available  although  the  coaches  are/were?   already produced so its only  a case of  painting  and lettering  for  the  W&L

These are on  the  Liliput  Section,  I cant see anything  on  the Bachmann UK  site   referring to  these

show on the web site for me see cat No's L344360 to 62

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/prod1.php?prod_selected=liliputhoe&prod=2

• 4 months later...

I started my 009 layout before PECO made their "mainline" track so I used n gauge PECO setrack for some of it. I have to admit it doesn't look too bad for the GVT. It also meant that I could have 9" radius points (I think the 009 crazy track are now only available in 12". Also I could use the ordinary n gauge catch pointrs without them looking too odd. The transition between the two systems of track is also disguised by the use of a level crossing.