Bachmann announce Narrow Gauge range led by Baldwin 4-6-0T

Andy Y

I'm wondering whether the wagons might be small enough to fit on something like the Weltrol as a load?

It would be even better if Bachmann produced a transporter wagon that would allow you to do it the other way around!

• RMweb Premium

It would be even better if Bachmann produced a transporter wagon that would allow you to do it the other way around!

IIRC one or maybe two of the continental manufacturers produced a transporter wagon.

• RMweb Gold

1. What sort of coupler is on the loco in the photo ? 

2. What sort of couplers will be used on the model ?

3. I want one now ! How long do I have to wait ?

1- it's a link and pin coupler.

2- I suspect something compatible to the Peco / Bemo one which is fairly universal in 009 and HOe.

3- no idea ;)

• RMweb Premium

IIRC one or maybe two of the continental manufacturers produced a transporter wagon.

I remember seeing transporter wagons in the flesh on the Zillertalbahn.

Did the UK NG lines use similar ones?

Keith

• RMweb Gold

The Leek & Manifold had transporters but nothing like the lilliput HOe ones, I think Centre Models did one but it's not a currently available kit. The Padarn also had transporters but they were 4 two foot quarry wagons on four foot gauge transporter.

There's no reason you can't use the continental ones on a freelance line with a bit of anglicanisation though.

1- it's a link and pin coupler.

2- I suspect something compatible to the Peco / Bemo one which is fairly universal in 009 and HOe.

3- no idea ;)

Re  Couplings,,  most  likely  hoop & loop  as  most NG  mnfrs  use  in  009/H0e  but  worth  noting  that  the  vast  majority  of 009/H0e  have  NEM  pockets  enabling  the  simple  substitution  of  knuckle  couplings  (confirming  PEO L&B stock  has NEM pockets  BUT  they  are a  little on the  Fragile  side when  compared  to  Liliput/Roco ones!)

Bachmann (Liliput) even  supply  Knuckle couplings  for  alternatiive  use  on  their  recent  H0e Zillertahl  stock

I have three of these built from GEM kits and Farish 08 Chassis (WDLR, S&D and GVT) none of them run well, so I will be eagerly awaiting these. As you can probably guess from my photo if I get one it will be straight into the paint shops - just hope I can still line things!

• Like 2

I remember seeing transporter wagons in the flesh on the Zillertalbahn.

Did the UK NG lines use similar ones?

Keith

There's a nice little Pathe film clip on YouTube of one being used on the Leek & Manifold Light Railway in the 1930s.

• Like 8

The L&M was 2' 6" gauge and didn't use the 2' gauge locos Bachmann are making. I think the reference in the post to transporter wagons related to standard gauge wagons to transport narrow gauge engines and stock to and from the works?

I'm sure I read somewhere that 2' 6" (750/760mm) gauge was the minimum they reckoned it was safe to use transporter wagons or bogies to transport SG wagons on narrow gauge lines?

Edited by Hobby

The Ashover did convert one of the ex-L&M transporters but found it to be unstable and out of gauge when loaded. I suspect to make it work on the narrower gauge track would need to be maintained to a high level and the infrastructure would also need the clearances for the wagon being carried.

OK, not being afraid to admit my ignorance ...

As I understand all of the above, Bachmann are proposing to bring out a range of 4mm narrow gauge locomotives and stock suitable for a WDLR layout, compatible with their "normal" 00 range, but running on 009 track. This is where the ignorance comes in. Is this the same as N gauge track or is it going to have to be sourced separately?

Either way I want this, but while we're on the subject is there any hint of an ROD version of the Robinson?

Just out of interest was it considered practical to use transporter wagons on 3' gauge? I fancy the idea of doing a freelance English 3' gauge line some time using a few of the Peco HOm points I have, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of sideways clearance left in the shots of the L&M transporter wagon in the video

• RMweb Premium

As I understand all of the above, Bachmann are proposing to bring out a range of 4mm narrow gauge locomotives and stock suitable for a WDLR layout, compatible with their "normal" 00 range, but running on 009 track. This is where the ignorance comes in. Is this the same as N gauge track or is it going to have to be sourced separately?

Either way I want this, but while we're on the subject is there any hint of an ROD version of the Robinson?

The gauge is the same as N, but the sleepers would be different. Peco do some notional OO9 track.

• RMweb Premium

Putting it rather simplisticly:

"N" gauge track is nominally standard gauge track/sleepers reduced to 9mm for use with 2mm/ft models

"009" is light railway track representing something in the region 2' 0" - 2' 6" reduced to 9mm for use with 4mm/ft models

If you take 18.83 to be true 4mm/ft (P4/S4) gauge then 9mm represents just under half of 4' 8 1/2"

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Just out of interest was it considered practical to use transporter wagons on 3' gauge? I fancy the idea of doing a freelance English 3' gauge line some time using a few of the Peco HOm points I have, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of sideways clearance left in the shots of the L&M transporter wagon in the video

No reason why not, there's loads of Metre gauge lines on the Continent that use either transporter wagons or bogies so 3ft gauge would be virtually the same. Zeuke did a 12mm gauge transporter wagon in the 60s in HOm which, instead of using two bogies, made it into a 4 wheel wagon with the outer wheels of each bogie only half depth. From more than about 12" you couldn't tell and it ran a lot better than the Liliput 9mm gauge ones. I have one that someone had converted to 9mm gauge! If you can find one they are very nice, but not cheap I'm afraid!

http://www.passion-metrique.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2323&start=45&hilit=zeuke+herr

For more details on the transport of SG wagons on NG see the Wikki entries as a starter...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transporter_wagon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollbock

Edited by Hobby

• RMweb Gold

The gauge is the same as N, but the sleepers would be different. Peco do some notional OO9 track.

Peco do two types of 009 track,

http://www.peco-uk.com/prodtype.asp?strPageHistory=category&numSearchStartRecord=0&strParents=3309,3322&CAT_ID=3326&numRecordPosition=21

'Crazy track' with irregular worn sleepers ideal for quarry layouts etc.

Mainline track with square ended regular sleepers.

Both have matching points and flexi track.

Edited by PaulRhB

Putting it rather simplisticly:

"N" gauge track is nominally standard gauge track/sleepers reduced to 9mm for use with 2mm/ft models

"009" is light railway track representing something in the region 2' 0" - 2' 6" reduced to 9mm for use with 4mm/ft models

If you take 18.83 to be true 4mm/ft (P4/S4) gauge then 9mm represents just under half of 4' 8 1/2"

Keith

And again thanks - definitely looking forward to this.

Have Bachmann given any suggestion of the price for the Baldwin ?

I wonder how it will compare with the Heljan L & B Manning Wardle which looks rather expensive at £190 when compared with their standard gauge 4mm locos.

They might also have the ROD 2-8-0 in ROD livery up their sleave for later this year, perhaps as a Collectors Club model ?

RB

• RMweb Gold

Consider the MW is outside frame though and the price is comparable to the other steam in their range. I guess they are only producing a small batch so that will push up the price a bit too ;)

Bachmann already have plenty of N gauge experience so probably helps in development of the smaller mech.