OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

Stovepipe,

Thanks for those photos.    Both ;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/5431431222/

and this ;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/5076609650/

SEEM to show a nuclear flask in an ordinary train ( ?????? ).  If so I am somewhat surprised using an electric only loco as a Class 33 diesel would be available if the third rail cut-out.

• RMweb Gold

Yes indeed, and another one here at Bromley with same headcode 7E.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/5430823269/

From Dungeness A, heading for Sellafield I suppose. I'm not sure how widely it was known at the time that waste radioactive materials were transported by rail. It seems the traffic started up around 1965 with the first Magnox reactors, of which Dungeness was one.

Those yellow panels are a veritable minefield for Dave (and Hornby, for that matter)!

Those yellow panels are a veritable minefield for Dave (and Hornby, for that matter)!

Yes it is, i fully agree with you.

However, as i can do smaller runs of each loco, it suits me just fine, and allows for the model to be........modelled, in various forms, which is great for the modeller.

This is fun. Anyone found pictures of the yellow panel with red/white bodyside lining yet? I'm hoping there's 1 out there apart from the possibly unrealistic preserved version on E5001.

After all, we know of the full yellow front ended E5010 now.

Cheers

Dave 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That one calls them electro-diesels. I thought they were straight electric.

They were indeed straight electric, but I think they had a booster arrangement, a sort of electronic flywheel, intended to help them over gaps in the third rail.

Not so much electronic as electro-mechanical.

Essentially they were large flywheels attached to an electric motor/generator. As long as they were "on the juice" the electric motor spun the flywheel up at high speed. As soon as the locomotive was "gapped" and there was no external power, the flywheel would keep spinning the motor, which became a generator and kept supplying the traction motors for the short time needed to clear the gap.

That's my simple explanation for it, although there was a bit more to the setup that we don't really need to bother about here.

The class 71s had one 'booster' set, where the Bulleid-Raworth machines (later class 70) had two such sets.

Dave: I would particularly like a green one with stripes and small yellow panel (at whatever height and size!!). I'll keep my eyes peeled and also hope that someone else may find an example.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

I 've just been checking the 'hits' on my Flickr Archive  This a Tony Nokes shot which I don't appear to have uploaded. Does it help anyone? Ref 69r66 Sunday 20Apr 1969 E5004 approaching Dunton Green at 10.55 am

Ernie

post-5683-0-46031400-1432371346_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Stovepipe,

Thanks for those photos.    Both ;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/5431431222/

and this ;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/5076609650/

SEEM to show a nuclear flask in an ordinary train ( ?????? ).  If so I am somewhat surprised using an electric only loco as a Class 33 diesel would be available if the third rail cut-out.

Nuclear flasks were conveyed in normal freight services until the beginning of Sectorisation, I believe, subject to certain marshalling rules, such as no explosives or highly flammable material on the same service, and marshalled close to loco or brake van so someone can keep an eye on it; I've even seen shots of them behind steam locos in the North-West. The service in this photo seems to comprise mainly ferry vans from Dover.

If the juice had cut out, the train would have probably have been stuck behind the numerous passenger services, so putting a 33 instead of a 71 would have made little difference.

Definitely not early 60s - summer 1966 earliest, only started taking pics then - used to visit an aunt in Willingdon in the summer hols.

The pic has turned out much better than I expected - the original print is very dark and was at an angle so the scanner & Mac iPhoto sorts it out very well.

Mal

Yes, there was still at least one running around with no yellow warning panels in August 67 - just need to find the pic. 

• RMweb Gold

Yes, there was still at least one running around with no yellow warning panels in August 67 - just need to find the pic. 

Here's E5009 on the 8th April 1967 with no yellow panel.  Was it still like this by August?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/5519539925/in/album-72157603648772112/

EDIT: No it wasn't! By the following month it has panels - https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/5357110245/in/album-72157603648772112/

Edited by RFS

Nuclear flasks were conveyed in normal freight services until the beginning of Sectorisation, I believe, subject to certain marshalling rules, such as no explosives or highly flammable material on the same service, and marshalled close to loco or brake van so someone can keep an eye on it; I've even seen shots of them behind steam locos in the North-West. The service in this photo seems to comprise mainly ferry vans from Dover.

If the juice had cut out, the train would have probably have been stuck behind the numerous passenger services, so putting a 33 instead of a 71 would have made little difference.

It wasn't as late as sectorisation. When I had to pass the Working Manual, as part of SM's Rules and Regs on the SR, which would have been 79/80 edition, barrier wagons either side were certainly mandatory by then but I can't recall whether any flask on the SR had to be moved in a train of its own at that point. I never dealt with one until 1984, when I was a Traffic Manager at Ashford. I often had to pilot the Dungeness flask train between Ashford and Appledore (when the Tokenless Block system had failed, which was frequent) and between Ashford and Tonbridge on occasion, and it was always just the flask, barrier vehicles, brake van and loco by then. It had its own special train number and special instructions were issued to all boxes on the route just hours before it ran each time, for safety, security and to foil the group of protestors who seemed to follow them around.

• RMweb Gold

Although not an 'insider', I too thought it was before Sectorisation. I can find photos up to about 1976 with flasks in general freight trains. After then it seems to be separate trains, though this could be because all other traffic had dwindled away by then.

While on the subject of the 71,

How would you all like a say (as long as your a subscriber of course) in what headcodes the loco comes with?

Whether it be nuclear, or passenger, there will be different headcodes for different livery versions.

So please post your suggestions here and i'll choose the best and it will appear with the model.

cheers

Dave

I would suggest different headcodes for each end, one for passenger, one for freight for example. That way you should have something close to what you want to haul.

Now if someone could invent working roller blinds under DCC control - how cool would that be seeing a loco run round or back on to the train, and a few seconds later the headcode winds round to the appropriate one...

• RMweb Gold

Dave,
you'd have to crazy not to do at least one as "46" for the Golden Arrow.
I'd like "76" for a VIC - Newhaven boat trian please.  Just right for Star Lane. :-)
More suggestions to follow no doubt.................. ;-)

It would be nice to have a selection, rather like Heljan have offered in the past.

If you must have fixed headcodes, I agree with Titan's suggestion of one passenger and one freight code.

Hither Green is a logical one for freight, Dover or Newhaven for passenger. The Golden Arrow headcode would also, to my mind, necessitate supplying the headboard and regalia for that train.

I think you'll find 46 is a given. ;-)

However I'm ideally looking for a period spread of 6 passenger and 6 freight per deco to choose from.

I could easily go to my books and pictures, God knows I've got enough, but I thought it would add more interest if you suggested and I chose from those.

Oh and I'm not doing sticky sets or overlays either, but won't say exactly what I'm doing, but I think you'll like :-)

Keep em coming.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

I think you'll find 46 is a given. ;-)

However I'm ideally looking for a period spread of 6 passenger and 6 freight per deco to choose from.

I could easily go to my books and pictures, God knows I've got enough, but I thought it would add more interest if you suggested and I chose from those.

Oh and I'm not doing sticky sets or overlays either, but won't say exactly what I'm doing, but I think you'll like :-)

Keep em coming.

Cheers

Dave

Only my opinion but I think SRman's got it right (post 550). DCC-controlled rolling headcode blinds would be wonderful but difficult to achieve. No overlays is good news - they didn't look convincing. Pop out windows might be most practical.