OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

Nuclear flasks were conveyed in normal freight services until the beginning of Sectorisation, I believe, subject to certain marshalling rules, such as no explosives or highly flammable material on the same service, and marshalled close to loco or brake van so someone can keep an eye on it; I've even seen shots of them behind steam locos in the North-West. The service in this photo seems to comprise mainly ferry vans from Dover.

If the juice had cut out, the train would have probably have been stuck behind the numerous passenger services, so putting a 33 instead of a 71 would have made little difference.

The change over to separate services for flask traffic generally was in the early 1980s, probably about 1981.

Taking Bridgwater as an example, I have a photo of a flask arriving on an ordinary service in september 1980,

and another photo from june 1982 of 6V52 from Sellafield which was the special service for flasks.

Of course in certain parts of the network if all other traffic had dwindled away the flask would have had its own train anyway 

cheers

Edited by Rivercider

Does this mean you'll include DJ in the choices?? ;)

Strangely enough, no. Lol

The head codes will apart from '46' not my choice but the crowdsource members only.

Today's class 71 design task?................... Springs, springs, springs!

Cheers

Dave

Only my opinion but I think SRman's got it right (post 550). DCC-controlled rolling headcode blinds would be wonderful but difficult to achieve. No overlays is good news - they didn't look convincing. Pop out windows might be most practical.

There's another option which would truly be innovative if it's what Dave has in mind - LCD/LED/OLED(one thereof) displays can now be produced small enough, cheaply enough and of sufficient resolution to do the job with some simple control logic. A colour version of the paper white display from the Kindle would be ideal for this.

• Like 1

Collecting model buses I have often wondered what it would take to make the blinds so that they could change. My son has a toy bus that you can change the route by using a dial and turning it with your thumb. While this wouldn't be practical on the 71 I am now intrigued as to how this would be possible? It would certainly be neat, even if I don't have DCC, and would make the model stand out.

"9D"  

Look there's them Transfesa vans again that go soooooo well with Class 71's    :yes:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/2428136703/in/album-72157624412749012/

Now that would be a really useful project for DJM. I know you have declined to consider wagons Dave but the distinctive blue Transfesa vans are crying out to be produced RTR and would be so useful, appearing practically the length and.breadth of BR in their time,  

Now that would be a really useful project for DJM. I know you have declined to consider wagons Dave but the distinctive blue Transfesa vans are crying out to be produced RTR and would be so useful, appearing practically the length and.breadth of BR in their time,

Nice idea, anyone got the designs for them?

"I have a cunning plan" ;-)

• Like 2

Well Dave, as an N gauge 'collector' you may have converted me to Orrible Oversize as I have always loved the 71s. I wish I had paid more attention to the OHL at Faversham though..

Oh, of course the 71 could look good in N with a string of continental wagons or Wagon Lits!!

Gerry

• RMweb Gold

I've been looking through my library and have some more headcode suggestions Dave;
C3,
C7,

02 appears on a few different 'photo's of van trains and also empties to Clapham Jungle.
C3 and C7 will suit us nicely for van trains on Star Lane.

Can't find any 'photo's of a general goods train or coal train on the Brighton line with an HA at the head.  Can anybody out there help on that one?
Cheers,
Bob.

02 appears on a few different 'photo's of van trains and also empties to Clapham Jungle.

I know places can become overgrown, but...wow!  :O

• RMweb Gold

I know places can become overgrown, but...wow!  :O

The nickname is ancient and refers to the nature of the place as large, somewhat nebulous and easy to get lost in, much like a jungle.  Nothing else IFAIK.

Edited by Phatbob
  • Like 1

I see Dave has added a little advert on the bottom of this thread for the 71.

It provides some hints of the model. This model has clearly eaten its ready break as it has a yellow glow around it, something the Hornby has not.

I see Dave has added a little advert on the bottom of this thread for the 71.

It provides some hints of the model. This model has clearly eaten its ready break as it has a yellow glow around it, something the Hornby has not.

T'at'll be thee St. Elmo's fire..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Elmo%27s_fire..... a'commin' ashore amongst a sea mist an'ahittin' thee over'ed, accomplishin' a shortin' dow't'erth,...beleeevit, or not...

Edited by Ceptic

I believe we are still on the topic of appropriate headcodes.

Ok then, guess I need to fully wake up before going on the computer.

I know it is posted on Wikipedia that class 75 was a projected super ED, but don't know how true that is. To be honest this is what I was thinking off when posting!