OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

Hey,  Andy Y and DJ

Please, No need to thank me.

The best / first person to thank, would be, one, Ian Watson, who, first, brought it to our attention via his post onto MRE Mag, dated 29/10/2015 (See post # 774, into this thread)

Cheers all.

P.S.

Don't forget, these locos were built to Bulleid's 9' - 0" wide, body cross section profile / coach-side curvature

Edited by Ceptic

Been comparing the pics of this to the Hornby one. Now given the fact that I know litle to nothing about theses loco's (I've only ever seen the preserved one a couple of times) and that they are both EP models but I personally feel the DJM version looks & feels better. More refined detail and shape wise has more of a Presence about it that oozes character. Nothing against Hornby at all as their model does look very very good indeed and had that been the only one available I think we would have all been satisfied with what had been produced. 1 question though (ok techancly 3) on the DJM version are the lifting brackets (?) Missing of the model or will they be supplied for the customer to fit? Or is it just that its an EP? I only hope that they sell well for both companies but I am happy that the choice I made was the correct one. Bring on The 74 Dave as this truly does look bueatifull

Edited by TRAILRAGE

• RMweb Gold

I always thought they were to the Mark 1 coach side profile (rather like the Western diesels were too). 

Here's a picture of one with Bulleid coaches in tow - https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/6770232205/in/album-72157603648772112/

And another with MK1s - https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/4790764139/in/album-72157603648772112/

My vote would be for Bulleids perhaps?

Here's a picture of one with Bulleid coaches in tow - https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/6770232205/in/album-72157603648772112/

And another with MK1s - https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/4790764139/in/album-72157603648772112/

My vote would be for Bulleids perhaps?

There is not that much diference between MK1 and Bullieds profiles. After all the MK1 was a Bulleid constructed at Derby

Dons tin hat and flack jacket

There is not that much diference between MK1 and Bullieds profiles. After all the MK1 was a Bulleid constructed at Derby

Dons tin hat and flack jacket

Yes Dave, but, I see firstly, that Derby read the Bulleid profiles 'Upside, down', when deciding upon the BR.Std. Mk.1. profile

P.S.

Tin hat firmly in place, ever since my previous P.S.

All the best,

Frank.

Edited by Ceptic

1 question though (ok techancly 3) on the DJM version are the lifting brackets (?) Missing of the model or will they be supplied for the customer to fit? Or is it just that its an EP?

We are still waiting for an answer to that. Shame the bogie still has other faults not corrected or are they to put Hornby off.

We are still waiting for an answer to that. Shame the bogie still has other faults not corrected or are they to put Hornby off.

<rant mode>

Forgive me for saying this but considering that Trailrage's post was made at 22.25 on the 22nd March and you have reiterated the question at 07.47 on the 23rd March, I make that just about nine hours between questions (pedants can go figure the exact number of minutes should they wish to). DJM Dave is, AFAIK, human. He also requires sleep, food and all the other basic Maslovian needs in order to function. I know that the 71 will be the most exciting thing to appear for many us (me included), but would it be too much, in this digital age, to give someone at least twenty-four, or God forbid, forty-eight hours in which to reply to a post? I also understand that the question of lifting brackets has been raised elsewhere. However, as has been mentioned in other posts (RMWeb passim), some details may be being held back for business reasons and we just have to accept that, even if we have paid our money up front.

I work in an institution that demands that we answer emails instantaneously, so I have a deliberate policy of taking at least a half a day before I respond, if only to preserve my own sanity. Can we try and maintain a similar sense of proportion here?

</rant mode>

<rant mode>

Forgive me for saying this but considering that Trailrage's post was made at 22.25 on the 22nd March and you have reiterated the question at 07.47 on the 23rd March, I make that just about nine hours between questions (pedants can go figure the exact number of minutes should they wish to). DJM Dave is, AFAIK, human. He also requires sleep, food and all the other basic Maslovian needs in order to function. I know that the 71 will be the most exciting thing to appear for many us (me included), but would it be too much, in this digital age, to give someone at least twenty-four, or God forbid, forty-eight hours in which to reply to a post? I also understand that the question of lifting brackets has been raised elsewhere. However, as has been mentioned in other posts (RMWeb passim), some details may be being held back for business reasons and we just have to accept that, even if we have paid our money up front.

I work in an institution that demands that we answer emails instantaneously, so I have a deliberate policy of taking at least a half a day before I respond, if only to preserve my own sanity. Can we try and maintain a similar sense of proportion here?

</rant mode>

And where have the prominent body lifting lugs gone, or are they going to be a separate fitting?

Check your facts Chap.

Well, given that the Hornby version has the lifting brackets, I doubt its omission here is to put them off.

Actually, I feel that the Hornby model catches the character better (although this one is a fine bit of moulding) and they're modelling the original body, without the rain strip/gutter, which was added later (and Dave confirmed ages ago that he won't be modelling the original body style).

I also still feel there is a slight lack of curvature on the lower body sides - in particular, looking along the many 3/4 views, the cab profile at the far end has something of a "shovel" upward curve about it, whereas when I look on photographs, the end seems to curve under slightly. This is probably all due to perspective and the different camera lenses used, however. The fact that noone else has commented leads me to assume that I'm probably wrong.

Edited by DavidH

• RMweb Gold

Such as a trap door in the cab floor - as well as directional lighting, the driver pops up at either end depending upon the direction of travel? Better patent that idea myself   :sungum:

ISTR a French modeller doing that, with a single-unit railcar. Can't quite recall the mechanism, but it was DCC-driven.

I for one am looking forwards to someone saying "here is an authentic sound chip for this loco".

Despite the O2 being very DCC sound fitting friendly, 6 months after release, no one does a sound chip for it. We are left with a "the M7 is the same without push pull gear", yeah but mine are with and I don't wish to compromise!

I for one am looking forwards to someone saying "here is an authentic sound chip for this loco".

Despite the O2 being very DCC sound fitting friendly, 6 months after release, no one does a sound chip for it. We are left with a "the M7 is the same without push pull gear", yeah but mine are with and I don't wish to compromise!

Recording your own is possible; as far as I can see W24 is currently on the operational list for 2016 :)

Hi m

Been comparing the pics of this to the Hornby one. Now given the fact that I know litle to nothing about theses loco's (I've only ever seen the preserved one a couple of times) and that they are both EP models but I personally feel the DJM version looks & feels better. More refined detail and shape wise has more of a Presence about it that oozes character. Nothing against Hornby at all as their model does look very very good indeed and had that been the only one available I think we would have all been satisfied with what had been produced. 1 question though (ok techancly 3) on the DJM version are the lifting brackets (?) Missing of the model or will they be supplied for the customer to fit? Or is it just that its an EP? I only hope that they sell well for both companies but I am happy that the choice I made was the correct one. Bring on The 74 Dave as this truly does look bueatifull

Hi there,

Yes I am away at the moment, but have manager to find 3G so I can answer this question regarding the brackets.

1 thing I didn't want to do was to the brackets as a poor moulding or a half way house in looks. Especially if I decided ( wrongly in my view) to do an incorrect bogie width as this area would, with the bogie brackets fitted) stick out like a sore thumb.

So there will be bogie brackets included, but whether they are fitted to the loco at birth, or need to be fitted is still under discussion as no doubt being fitted by the factory the limited radius play in the turning of the bogie would cause anguish and gnashing of teeth.

So I might just chicken out and suffer the wrath of those that find they have to fit them themselves.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

So I might just chicken out and suffer the wrath of those that find they have to fit them themselves.

Cheers

Dave

Careful Dave, heaven forbid there should be some actual modelling type work to be done :jester:

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 2

Hi m

Hi there,

Yes I am away at the moment, but have manager to find 3G so I can answer this question regarding the brackets.

1 thing I didn't want to do was to the brackets as a poor moulding or a half way house in looks. Especially if I decided ( wrongly in my view) to do an incorrect bogie width as this area would, with the bogie brackets fitted) stick out like a sore thumb.

So there will be bogie brackets included, but whether they are fitted to the loco at birth, or need to be fitted is still under discussion as no doubt being fitted by the factory the limited radius play in the turning of the bogie would cause anguish and gnashing of teeth.

Cheers

Dave

Much obliged Dave.

Apollogies  if I've stirred up a Hornets nest with that question.

The EP sample truly does look incredible and I cant wait to get m grubby little mitts on my 2.  If it comes as a separate piece so be it. There probably wont be to many people who has ordered one of these that wouldn't mind fitting the odd detailing part.

Keep  up the good work

Trailrage

I have been keeping out of all this as the sheer weight of traffic is almost impossible to keep up with.

However I do read what Dave posts.

Please Dave, can you stick to your guns and make sure nothing restricts the model from actually working on a model railway!

It must be able to negotiate reasonable curves which bits snapping off etc.

Many thanks

Mike