OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

• RMweb Premium

I'm not so certain of that, here's an example of one of Charlie's kits built for me by Ken Gibbons. We did careful research and came up with E5012 

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u580/MeophamEast/Hornby%20Magazine%20photos/British%20Railway%20Modelling%20magazine%20photos/BRM3A_zpscec67b64.jpg

A swift search on E5012 brought up several photos.

I should have worded that better, John!  I meant that  would like the syp on the early version with the red stripe - but not preserved era.  Dave asked at the beginning of the project about anyone knowing about a photo of that configuration, but none ever surface as far as I know.

While there are the odd very small things that don't look quite right, I think overall it is a much better model that Hornby's.  As I'm in the trade I'll probably get a Hornby one (staff discount!), but it may get moved on for another DJM in the fullness of time.  Interested to compare running qualities etc, and I can't do that with a new model and then re sell it as new, we don't do stuff like that.

• RMweb Gold

While there are the odd very small things that don't look quite right, I think overall it is a much better model that Hornby's.

The bogies and panto are looking great, though I reckon the cab shape might be missing some quintessential curviness. Best seen on the prototype in 3/4 view when the sides are well-lit and the ends are in shade, or vice versa.

http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p287659169/h1fb4c639#h3517945a

But the corners have a complex shape, so it'll be interesting to hear what the GCR punters think.

• RMweb Gold

I had a handle of Daves blue with yellow ends one yesterday. Whilst I don't know the prototype well so can't coment on the shape etc. It looks superb especially the bogies with plenty of space for wider gauge wheels. There is loads of space for a large speaker to be fitted on the chassi top.

Really looking forward to receiving the production model.

I keep looking at that pantograph and I have two questions.

Does it have a linkage to ensure that when raised both arms raise together, so the head remains level?

Can you do a replacement for the awful Heljan one on the em-1?

Hello everyone, here is the promised list of features to be found on the DJM/Crowdfunded Class 71 locomotive. 

And yes, there is someone about to start work on the sound for this locomotive.

Please remember, that like the 52, 22 and 10000 models, this model has been designed for an easily drop in base reflex speaker of identical size and manufacture as the one for the previously named loco's

It also uses a 21 pin decoder for all the functions you would expect with a model of this quality.

Anyway, any questions regarding the list (please no comparison questions) feel free to ask here, i'm not into private forums and blogs. :locomotive:  :jester:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am very pleased to say that the DJM OO gauge crowdfunded Class 71 is almost here, I plan to authorise production within the next 2 weeks, so if you have not ordered your crowdfunded model already then you now have 2 weeks to do so before production quantities are locked down.

Don't forget that if you order a crowdfunded class 71 this entitles you to the foloow up class 74 diesel locomotive (based on the class 71 bodyshell) as a generous discount. Work starts proper on the class 74 design within the next week, although some preparatory work has commenced. If you need another reason to get the 74, there are in fact 2 reasons......1) That once the 71 crowdunding scheme is 'locked down' in 2 weeks you will no longer be able to get the 74 at the discounted price, and  2) This loco goes beautifully with the newly announced Kernow Models 4TC set.

To whet your whistle on this model here is a list of items and unique features that the DJM Crowdfunded class 71 has.

Firstly the model. This has the following features,

1) Ultra Quiet Coreless Motor

2) Heavy metal chassis

3) Separately applied lamp irons (A must for a model of this quality)

4) Separately applied handrails (metal not plastic)

5) Correct Bogie Width (with 5 points of depth to the moulding, and also allowing plenty of space for gauge conversion should it be needed)

6) Correct bogie steps with full pattern side casting supports, cutaway holes, and checkerplate finish to top bogie step

7) Correct front marker lights with rotating lens switch (on the railway this switch was used to swap lens colours from clear to red etc)

8) Etched metal front foot steps with checkerplate pattern and central larger footstep

9) Separately applied extremely fine pattern windscreen wipers (production models will have them in the 'parked' position)

10) Fully detailed and painted cab interior with second man seat in 'stored' position.

11) 4 different size and font of headcode numbers and letters. The correct size supplied with each relevant era of decorated model.

12) Full DCC control over both cab lights independently

13) Easy to fit 21 pin DCC decoder for ultimate of DCC control functions

14) Easy to fit DCC sound speaker (as per my previous design on the Western and class 22)

15) Correct pattern plastic posable Pantograph (non conducting)

16) Correct pantograph well detail, including moulded bicycle chains for real life raising of pantograph

17) Illuminated headcode panels either end (switchable under chassis to turn off and on)

18) Correct cab pillar and roof air vents for early and later versions (green versions have a roof vent while blue have cab window pillars)

19) Colour matched to Bachmann Blue, Yellow and Green colours

20) Etched works plates fitted (where needed)

21) Darkend spoked wheels to RP25.110 standards, 14.4mm back to backs 

22) Booster equipment 'just' visible through the bodyside window (please note that in real life the booster only comes half way up the window and is 2.5ft back from it to accomodate a walkway between it and the window and as such it will be printed onto the chassis side in darker colours to depict a shadowed effect.

23) Correctly painted pantograph head (including a painted graphite insert to each central head section)

24) An eye catching presentation slip box (possibly the prettiest box youve seen for a model railway locomotive

25) Full instructions and schematic drawings, plus spares list. (Spares available at launch)

26) Close coupling mechanism both ends

27) NEM coupling pocket both ends

28) Accessory bag with alternate, replacement front valance for those not wanting a coupling pocket visible one end (or both)

29) Separate air pipes within accessory bag

30) A wealth of separately applied bogie parts

31) Sprung buffers

32) Easily removable cab for fitting a crew. (just unscrew 2 screws and drop the cab interior out.....easy and secure

33) Customer fitted electrical pick up shoes (to allow for individual modeller's tolerances for third rail height on their layouts)

34) Correct moulded relief framing between the bogies and battery box

35) Ultra fine detail metal wired representation (see through) of cables into and out of bodyside fuse box

36) Flush Glazing throughout

• Like 10

Ahhh, the dilemma.

I was about to order a second class 71, but I also want a 74. Can I afford to pre-pay both at once? Hmmm ...

:unsure:    :scratchhead:  

Edit: it is done. I may have to pass around the collection tin to buy some baked beans for my toast, but I've now ordered a second class 71 and a class 74. :lol:

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

Ahhh, the dilemma.

I was about to order a second class 71, but I also want a 74. Can I afford to pre-pay both at once? Hmmm ...

:unsure:    :scratchhead:  

Edit: it is done. I may have to pass around the collection tin to buy some baked beans for my toast, but I've now ordered a second class 71 and a class 74. :lol:

I’m sure your skeletal remains will enjoy them. :O

Having now looked at the Hornby one very closely, Dave your on to a winner with this one, looks far better all over than the Hornby one.

Well done Dave

Thanks mate,

Feel free to spread the word.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Don't forget that if you order a crowdfunded class 71 this entitles you to the follow up class 74 diesel locomotive (based on the class 71 body shell) as a generous discount. Work starts proper on the class 74 design within the next week, although some preparatory work has commenced. If you need another reason to get the 74, there are in fact 2 reasons......1) That once the 71 crowdfunding scheme is 'locked down' in 2 weeks you will no longer be able to get the 74 at the discounted price, and  2) This loco goes beautifully with the newly announced Kernow Models 4TC set.

Dave, is it possible to have a 71 from a 2nd batch instead of a 74 at a discounted price please? - I've ordered an all-green one, and would like a 2nd all-green version, I know I can buy 2 the same and renumber one, but I'd rather have one that you numbered properly instead. Thank you, Gary

Edited by PrestburyJack

• RMweb Premium

Errrr ...... WOW.

The 71 is worth buying for the pantograph detail alone.  I'm very sure we have never had such precise detail on a locomotive in this price bracket before.  All the salient body features will of course transfer over to the 74 such as bogie detail and body shape.  I do wish Dave the very best with this venture and I'm finding it hard to avoid the "Pay" button on a 71 but I already have two 74s locked in with nowhere for them to run.  A 71 would be slightly farther off-limits as they were exclusively SE Division locos.

• RMweb Premium

Come on Rick, you don't need too much of an excuse to spring for a 71 as well, in view of 4630's post above!   :onthequiet:   :jester:

I can feel a collective arm-twist going on here ;)

Two 74s both blue by definition.  A Cornish-themed layout which has guest appearances of Scottish class 17s.  Maybe a BR green 71 then.  Just maybe ....... oh all right.  If you insist.  :P

• RMweb Premium

"Rare" E5010 green FYE selected.  At least it can look a little more at home perched on the shelf display alongside the green Cep and EPB units ;)

But did appear very occasionally on both the Central and SW divisions. They did also receive classified overhauls at BREL Eastleigh so visits along the SW mainline were not infrequent.

Did electric locos need "running in turns" after their overhauls ?