OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

All design is a compromise, so if such parts have to be left for the end user to fit, as to prefit them would have restricted the loco to running on scale curves or being a shelf queen then so be it.

This is much more acceptable than compromised blobs which barely look like the thing.

Remember, lots of manufacturers have left steps off for user to fit for exactly the same reasons.

Edited by JSpencer

All design is a compromise, so if such parts have to be left for the end user to fit, as to prefit them would have restricted the loco to running on scale curves or being a shelf queen then so be it.

This is much more acceptable than compromised blobs which barely look like the thing.

Remember, lots of manufacturers have left steps off for user to fit for exactly the same reasons.

Agreed - most of us heretics will still happily run it on track 2.whatever mm too narrow and still be grinning like Cheshire cats .......

• Like 1

Dave, I sent you a PM last week. I see on the J94 thread that messages from you to someone else haven't got through, so not sure if my message has been received or not.

Hi David,

No, sorry. I've checked my spam folder too but nothing.

Cheers

Dave

As promised a fresh set of pics of the DJ Models Class 71.

The revised corner taper should be evident in these.

attachicon.gifDJM_Class_71_Revised_EP_5s.jpg

attachicon.gifDJM_Class_71_Revised_EP_1s.jpg

attachicon.gifDJM_Class_71_Revised_EP_2s.jpg

attachicon.gifDJM_Class_71_Revised_EP_3s.jpg

attachicon.gifDJM_Class_71_Revised_EP_4s.jpg

Firstly, apologies for my absence.

Secondly, a belated P.S. 

This concerns comments / criticisms, made by another, friendly, fellow 'rivet counter' after bringing to my, previously un-noticed, attention that, .....

Those cab doors need slamming shut (If, on the model, they are non-opening. then, they would be closed flush. Any draught is chilling to us southern softies).

Also, those front buffer beam 'fairings' corners need to be clouted, from behind, using a, fairly heavy, lump hammer, to bring them in-line with the downward slope of said corners.

Regards,

Ceptic (Rivet Counters, Inc.) 

• Like 1

This concerns comments / criticisms, made by another, friendly, fellow 'rivet counter' after bringing to my, previously un-noticed, attention that, .....

Those cab doors need slamming shut (If, on the model, they are non-opening. then, they would be closed flush. Any draught is chilling to us southern softies).

Also, those front buffer beam 'fairings' corners need to be clouted, from behind, using a, fairly heavy, lump hammer, to bring them in-line with the downward slope of said corners.

Regards,

Ceptic (Rivet Counters, Inc.) 

Not sure about the buffer beams, but I have to agree with you on the (seemingly incorrect) recessed look of the doors.

post-154-0-01775200-1459378481_thumb.jpg

I had a go at this comparison last week, and tried to send it to Dave. As it isn't working for us by PM, I'll post here. Apologies for the spelling, I didn't notice it until it was too late, and I hadn't the heart to start again.

Now, I first should say that I think the moulding of the bogies in particular is first class, and the body is close - so nearly - perfect. I know a lot of hard work has gone into this.

Going now to the comparison photo above, and the other photos posted on previous pages, I believe I can see a certain "up and down-ness" to the front end, in fact the corners/edges look completely straight (see image), whereas on the real loco there is a very slight bulge at the waist and then the cab corner curves inwards - the Bulleid coach profile spoken about earlier. (I'm trying to be precise about the description, but I hope the photo above makes this much clearer.)

This straightness to the front profile is particularly noticeable at the far end cab of the 3/4 photos - most photos of the real locos taken from a similar angle show the front end curving in on itself. The model has a bit of a wedge look to it. (Please note, I know the cab front slopes back from side on; I'm talking about the 3/4 view, when the curving bodyside profile starts to become apparent.)

Of course, I acknowledge that the focal length of the lens used for model/real loco will be different, and what I see may disappear with subtle shifts of angle and camera zoom. The shadow at the top of the body/cab corner, in particular, may simply be an illusion caused by the lighting on the model.

Also I agree with Ceptic, the cab doors are recessed (and shouldn't be), and the buffer beam fairings appear to go straight down when they should follow the bodyside curve. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dave

Thanks for updating the product progress page on your web site

Does this mean we'll see a painted model of the 71 soon?

John

Yes, or models.......and even a surprise to tempt you all further.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 5

Yes, or models.......and even a surprise to tempt you all further.

Cheers

Dave

Interesting those Budd like units in the background. Definitely not a Bud Lite US prototype. Hmmmmm....

• 2 weeks later...

Dave

Looking forward to seeing them. Will you be on your own stand or sharing one with Kernow?

Hi mate,

i'm just there on Saturday chatting to Chris and some of my stockists.

if you see me.....and lets face it i'm hard to miss, please come and say hello.

cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi mate,

cheers

Dave

Will keep an eye out for you.

If you are passing Banbury during the day, you are welcome to come into our VIP lounge (behind the layout)!!

• RMweb Gold

Will keep an eye out for you.

If you are passing Banbury during the day, you are welcome to come into our VIP lounge (behind the layout)!!

If space permits, there will be a sofa in our VIP lounge, no kidding! :sungum:

From what I can see they look nice. Risking the wrath of all, might I suggest that they look a little dull and could do with more of a satin sheen? Only my own view but I found the finish of the Dapol Westerns (for example) a bit of a let down.

Retreating to bunker.

Hi mate,

cheers

Dave

Call in at Hawthorn Dene if you get the chance.

Les

Can I just say nice, I might even get one. This comming from a person who thinks dc power should come from a line overhead not one in the muck.

Pedant mode alert

Err, isn't that why they have (had) a pantograph - :jester:

Edited by leopardml2341

The pantographs weren't removed (unless by accident; Petts Wood's footbridge was responsible for one such removal!), except for those converted to class 74, of course. :)

Edited by SRman