OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

Looking at those pictures, it seems to me that the headcode is set well behind the centre window (probably to allow for swapping and lighting)... is that so? In comparison, the version offered by the Other Brand has its headcode much closer to the window.

I agree, it looks the same as the Dapol 73 and changes the look of the front end. The Hornby 71 has self adhesive numbers which are fitted externally, which is also not correct but results in a better appearance and also makes it easier to change or apply the characters. I'm guessing that to change the DJM 71 headcodes, the body wil have to come off. Realistically though how many will changes them on a regular basis?

Cheers

Shane

Over on the Hatton's commissioned models site, on the Class 71 "Golden Arrow" thread, "Hatton's Dave" stated that "mid-September to October release for these is looking likely."

Are any other new Class 71 variants likely to turn up at the same time ?

I think the problem with the 71 head codes is a good point.

With the DJModels one you can interchange head and tail codes as much as you want.....even, I suppose, print your own favorite ones to fit.

The trade off is that they are behind the glass window, but the benefit is that they are behind the glass window and can be used time and time again.

And anyway, isn't behind the window prototypical? Lol

Rest assured it's not that far back as you may think as the head code slots in in the front wall of the cab very snugly, as others who have seen the model in the flesh will testify.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Hi, I was just a bit concerned to read that we will need to fit the pickup shoes, will this be an easy job?

The mounting holes are visible on the bogies under close inspection.

I suspect it's a separate part purely to try and evade damage in transit.

Regards,

Matt

The mounting holes are visible on the bogies under close inspection.

I suspect it's a separate part purely to try and evade damage in transit.

Regards,

Matt

They are separate parts because Dave has included two types to suit different layouts and the owners' methods of putting their third rail in. Dave has thoughtfully provided us with two different sets of clearances.

It may well be that it is better for protection in transit too.

• Like 1

It's worth noting here that I received exclusive permission in writing from the Secretary of State for transport to use the golden arrow headboard, logo and arrows for a period of 2 years.

Unfortunately due to the protracted model development the deal only has about 5 months left to run, and so Hattons asking for 2 exclusive models is the perfect answer for the license permission. I recently showed Hattons the model in painted form and they were very impressed with it, and have today ordered the 2 models based on the start of the Golden Arrow service and last run of it.

Were you able to do the same, for a,

"Night Ferry", headboard Dave.

post-13585-0-12993000-1466669870.jpeg

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's all very well having a loco decorated for the Night Ferry, but what about the coaches and luggage vans?

I hope that's not a Fourgon conclusion. :jester:

Edited by Budgie

Dave: I was looking at the pictures of those livery samples again just now, and I know you said there were things to fix up and change (the four speedo cable drives being one you mentioned). Are you also going to get those cabside door handrails straightened up a bit too? They should run parallel to the side profile rather than curving out then back in again.

Dave: I was looking at the pictures of those livery samples again just now, and I know you said there were things to fix up and change (the four speedo cable drives being one you mentioned). Are you also going to get those cabside door handrails straightened up a bit too? They should run parallel to the side profile rather than curving out then back in again.

Yes indeed. The models were just deco samples and not indicative of the final fit out.

Cheers

Dave

Hi everyone,

I'm delighted to say that since the deco samples came out the other week and were viewed online and at the GCC and Perth shows there has been a large 'spike' in fellow modellers wishing to be part of this wonderful crowdfunding project.

With this in mind, and not wanting to snow Kernow down with nothing but orders for the 71 instead if their regular business, I'm extending the cut off date for a further 10 days until Midnight Sunday the 10th of July.

This will help those that are undecided, to consider further, but once the cut off date and time is reached, that will be it for the crowd funded models and I will lock down quantities with China and start production.

As a further update for you, revised deco samples are in production for me and include a change of roof grey colour, pick up shoe colour, kick plate painting, cab door handle re-pressing to correct the profile, correctly parked fine scale windscreen wipers, changes to the correct semi painted pantograph head, some detail painting of certain pantograph well items, full painting of buffer beam pipe connectors, correct painting of BR blue back ground on works plates (on BR blue versions), change of fuse box colour, and painting of some below chassis detail parts.

Sounds a lot, but I expect to be manufacturing within 2 weeks for delivery very soon.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 4

Very glad to see that orders for your class 71 are flooding in. This must reflect the trouble you have gone to with the model and your open contribution to the  dialogue on RM web. Yes lots of us are looking forward to getting our hands on one and are doubtless pleased to hear that production start is imminent.

The 'other company' looking to sell OO gauge 71's has given up on arrival dates for its produce it appears. I did have an order for E5001 with them but have canceled and bought another  DJM 71 instead......that's three I've put in for!

Very glad to see that orders for your class 71 are flooding in. This must reflect the trouble you have gone to with the model and your open contribution to the  dialogue on RM web. Yes lots of us are looking forward to getting our hands on one and are doubtless pleased to hear that production start is imminent.

The 'other company' looking to sell OO gauge 71's has given up on arrival dates for its produce it appears. I did have an order for E5001 with them but have canceled and bought another  DJM 71 instead......that's three I've put in for!

Hi mate,

Thank you for that. It's appreciated, it really is.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Good for you for choosing the better option ....as I have also done with Hattons and Kernow.

But I must point out to you that the competition has just arrived...so where you get the impression that they have given up on arrival dates I cannot imagine.Look on the Hornby topic on this forum.

• RMweb Premium

The opposition might have arrived first by a whisker but I'm willing to bet they'll look like Railroad items alongside the better versions.  

Good for you for choosing the better option ....as I have also done with Hattons and Kernow.

But I must point out to you that the competition has just arrived...so where you get the impression that they have given up on arrival dates I cannot imagine.Look on the Hornby topic on this forum.

Yes you are right about 'the other firms' delivery date.............only excuse for missing this is that I've been busy of late decorating, gardening etc and have been skimming through available information.

But in all seriousness I really do think the DJM version is going to be way in front in terms of quality........as Gwiwer puts it.............the other model will probably look like a Railroad item!

And I am very willing to wait for something good.