Mainly Trains Winding Down

Quarryscapes

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone, 

I'm Dave Cleal, son of the Dave Cleal of Mainly Trains. Sadly my Father died in January 2017, after living with cancer for ten years. I'm pleased to say that we've reached an agreement with Andrew Hartshorne of Wizard Models who's bought the rights to the Mainly Trains products from the family. We are very happy that the range has a future.

Sincere condolences Dave. Your dad was synonymous with model railways to me as a teenager. He was my first port of call for supplies in the days of letters and postal orders.

All the best.

Dave.

I am really sorry to hear about your father. Dave was always very helpful and his shop was a mecca for modellers with a vast array of items available.

The service was always reliable and quick.

Can please pass on our thoughts to the rest of his family.

Thanks.

Andy.

Dave was a bit of a legend, and always with superb service.

Order today, it would arrive tomorrow and somehow he always seemed to know who was calling.

And who didn't love pouring over one of his lists!

Very sorry to hear of his passing.

• RMweb Gold

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your father, Dave. Like others here, I can remember him from years ago in my teens when he was in Chandlers Ford and seeing his ads in Railway Modeller. In more recent dealings with him, his genuine warmth shone though, he was always helpful and a true gentleman. He will be sorely missed. RIP Dave.

As others have said, sad news 'though probably not unexpected.  Dave was clearly not in the best of health the last time I saw him.  Condolences to you and the family.

A lovely man and a pleasure to deal with him, initially by mail order way back when from the Chandlers Ford shop.  More recently a series of regular, if infrequent, visits over the border into Zummerzet to rummage through the offerings in "the unit" at Watchet and to re-stock with those useful bits & pieces.

It's nice to know that the range of products has gone to a good home.  Andrew's track record gives confidence that the etches etc. will soon be back on the market.  That in itself will be a fitting and lasting legacy for Dave (not forgetting, of course, the significant contribution of a certain Mr Rice).

• RMweb Gold

Sad to hear of Mr Cleal's passing. I spoke to him on the phone once or twice and always found him a real gent to deal with. The service was second to none, and indispensable to a modeller based overseas, as I was for quite a few years. I'm still working through some of the kits and detailing packs I ordered from MT years ago. Best wishes to Mr Cleal's family.

• Agree 1

• 2 years later...

I have just come across the sad news of Dave Cleal`s passing.  Such fond memories. I first came across him in Salisbury in the mid 70s. He had a very small shop in Crane Street which I think he shared with Paul Dawaulder the stamp dealer.  I sold Dave a Triang southern electric unit which were very collectable at the time.  Later he had a shop in Hursley Road in Chandlers Ford. I bought a K`s kit built Ivatt tank for rebuilding. I finished it the night before my youngest son was born in 1977. I still have it .

Then of course there were the regular visits to the shop in the shopping precinct and the occasional mail order from Watchet.

My sincere condolences to the family.  

• Friendly/supportive 3

I’m sad to hear that. Most of my RTR stuff came from Mainly Trains at Chandler’s Ford and Watchet until RTR was abandoned. Long, long ago they had my credit card details and it was just a matter of lifting the phone and telling them what I wanted. My name was all that was needed to ensure that the model would arrive promptly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2