Very sorry to hear this Andy, but it would seem that you've managed to back yourself into a corner with this one! Two hundred and sixteen pages and nearly five thousand, five hundred posts is a lot to just wash away but only you know how you feel. All I can say is that I don't feel 'let down' as you suggest, I have enjoyed following the thread and, I'm certain, like many others, I've learned a heck of a lot!

Very best of luck with your next project, I hope you settle on something that suits you and would remind you of the need to avoid stress which would be detrimental to your health - keep it simple and try to slow the pace down as I suspect you have simply worn yourself out! Giving yourself space by having that short break with Dee has obviously allowed you to think more clearly.

Keep the sense of humour at all costs though!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

Disappointing only by virtue of the great work that youve done on it. However if you arent feeling it then you need to do something that better suits your interests. The only thing I would say is use what yiuve learnt here and don't fall back into old 'bad' habits like rushing out layouts and banging down peco track!!

• Like 2

Andy,

I have followed the Bitton project for a while and have been very impressed with the workmanship shown on this project.  I wish you the best of success with your next project, which I will follow indeed.

Cheers,

William

P. S. Why not go 'O' scale LMR? I really liked Trebudoc . . . .

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Andy,

I have followed the Bitton project for a while and have been very impressed with the workmanship shown on this project.  I wish you the best of success with your next project, which I will follow indeed.

Cheers,

William

P. S. Why not go 'O' scale LMR? I really liked Trebudoc . . . .

I liked Trebudoc, too, and.....to cut it short....all the rest of them besides.

I think that sums it up, Andy.  There's another one just waiting to come out and I guess it's not worth the fight against it.

So, wishing you every success with it.

• RMweb Premium

BITTON FOR SALE. :O

Sorry guys, but its just NOT floating my boat.

The three boards on the scenic side and the two end boards are available including the Station Buildings and Signal Cabin, its wired for DCC with 11 Traintronis TT300 Point Motors fitted and wired.

it measures 17ft 5 inches x 8ft 6 inches including current Storage Yard Boards, so an ideal Club or home project.

The Storage Yard boards may be available if required.

The sky back scene may also be available.

Please PM if interested, but I don't really want to go into the whys and wherefores on here at the moment. I know a lot of people will be very disappointed in me, but I need to move on and do what I FEEL MORE COMFORTABLE WITH.

Dear Mr Peters

This is sad news. It has taken us months to find Sargent Shoutalot and the recruits. They were only 2 miles away from Bitton and were getting very excited they would at long last catch a train to go home.

Now I have a camp full of young men with nothing to do and worst is he is back and so is our ear ache.

Yours very disappointed

Lt Colonel La de Da hyphen Poshname

Rough Engineering Made Easy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Andy,

Feel free to completely ignore me but I can't help but think that much of the pressure from the Bitton project came from all the opinions in the thousands of posts in this thread. You were led away into a corner that you're obviously not happy with. Prototype modelling is obviously not for you, nor do I think is planning and modelling under close scrutiny where you feel you need to justify every decision made.

Can I suggest that you plan and get your next project substantially complete off-forum and just do whatever it is you want to do with no web-based outside influences. There are still lots of social threads to talk about grass and sausages. I feel that mix would be better for you. Just remember to take photos so that you can eventually show folk what you did. 

You're free to do as you please - it's your hobby, your money and your shed. I do however feel disappointed for those that contributed time and effort to get Bitton to its current state. For them I'm glad you're not doing a Larry.

• Like 3

For the best I think Andy. Kill it before it gets too far and wish you gave it up earlier. Nothing worse than having a finished layout you don't enjoy.

• RMweb Premium

Does this mean a return to Peco track and nasty solenoid motors Andy? Otherwise, where is the logic of selling a half finished layout for a loss when you can salvage some of the turnouts, all the point motors and the baseboards only to have to build new ones and rebuild track and boards?

I get why Bitton doesn't work for you as it is a 50's track plan that you are trying to justify in a later period that has no justification no matter what you do.

I am with Cav and Chris here on all their comments.

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

I am so sorry that you will not complete this grand project.  However, I am sure you are taking this decision for all the right reasons.

I learned yesterday that your Trebudoc layout will appear in the June edition of Hornby Magazine - well done, you must be pleased.  You are an inspiration and I personally have learnt a great deal following your various threads on here.

I wish you well with the next project, whatever that may be.

Best wishes,

Brian.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I am pleased that you have taken the bull by the horns Andy. Bitton was obviously not your dream layout. Can I suggest you don't look for a last great project you are too much of a layout builder to stop beside what would you do with all the ideas buzzing in your head. The potting shed is a good space so take your time to work out what you want.  but be perepared for it to change now and then. We will still be interested in what follows.

Don

• Like 5

Hi Andy,

Speaking as one who has very recently been in a similar position (loss of interest in project) to you, but thankfully hadn't got to the stage of shelling out for baseboards, I can fully understand your reasons for giving up on a project.  It can sometimes become horribly overwhelming just beyond the point of no return and you soon begin to wonder why on earth you bothered!

However, I would definitely follow Chris's advice on doing the major part of the work well away from public (and indeed forum) gaze.  At the end of the day, you're modelling for yourself and not anyone else?

Best of luck in your new project.

Cheers,

Tim

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Andy, I'm certain that you've literally "taken stock" of the situation. At the end of the day it's your layout/project to do as you please. There is certainly an element of truth in the "pressure" business of building in the public eye - as I know from the KL thread. Maybe you should just get on with your next project "on the quiet" and not reveal your work until it's well underway.

Just take it easy and DON'T feel under ANY pressure to please anyone but yourself!

I know Trebudoc was in BRM (last year?) It'll be nice to see it again in Hornby.

Jeff

• Like 2

Sad news but I'm sure it's for the best and Andy will have thought long and hard.

I'll follow whatever you do mate, even if it is set track and solenoids! :)

All the best,

Jack.

• Like 1

Hello Andy

Sorry to here Bittons on the way out but having spoken to you a few times I don't think you ever fell in love with it.

As for the Peco track subject. Well some of us either don't have the time to build track or just don't find it enjoyable. If I was building my own track I wouldn't see a train run in the foreseeable future. One, because of my job and secondly, I don't enjoy that aspect. There are many different aspects to this hobby. Some you might enjoy and some you may not.

Listen to your own thoughts Andy. It's what makes you happy not us. You have built some fine layouts in the past that have been excellent and have created a lot of interest on here. It's atmosphere at the end of the day and you're previous layouts ooze it.

Listen to you're own head mate and DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY.

Cheers

Marcus

Hello Mate,

l know you were never 100% happy with 'Bitton' and l know it was getting you really down, the thought of all the work some members on here like Cav and Jason to name a few had chipped in to lend a hand and l understand you thought you would be letting them down in some way if you scrapped the layout ? far from it, they will understand l'm sure, but if you are not happy then its no good..

l'm sure you will be much happier with the diesel era and l'm sure we will all rally around to offer support and help in anyway we can, just remember its your railway so do what you wanna dooooooooooooo.. good luck with the sale, and the new layout even if its Peco track, whatever floats yer boat mate..

George

• Like 1

Andy. In many ways, as others have already said, it's a decision that only you can make.

Although I love seeing your builds progress, maybe this wasn't the one to show it warts an' all.

It's a great pity that I am unable to offer Bitton a new home.

Looking forward to seeing how things pan out

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

It doesn't matter why Bitton didn't give you pleasure it didn't do it for you so move on, don't feel the next layout has to be the LGP either, just poddle along and let things develop slowly in a way that gives you pleasure and that is all that matters. Keep an ear open for what your body tells you and enjoy yourself. I do feel Jason could be right financially you could be better off recycling the track and baseboard not selling at a loss and having to build more baseboards.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy

Can I help design the sausage factory for the new layout, please? :nono: :nono: :nono: :senile: :nono: :nono:

Please let me know where in the UK and what time span you intend to model next, so I can Google what the local police were wearing and what cars they had. Gotta beat Miss Rivette Counteer with the next one.

• Like 5

BITTON FOR SALE. :O

Sorry guys, but its just NOT floating my boat.

I know a lot of people will be very disappointed in me, but I need to move on and do what I FEEL MORE COMFORTABLE WITH.

A very good decision Andy, I don't think it was ever your type of layout.  The real positive is that you gained a very nice layout/workshop space in place of that old concrete monstrosity.

Clear the Potting Shed of Bitton and start afresh with a blank canvas.  Do what you are comfortable with and you will be a much happier chappie.

There has been plenty of support on here for all your projects and if ever you need it there be much more in the future.  Once Bitton has gone you'll have a new lease of life.

I for one are not in the least disappointed with you,  in fact, thank you for entertaining and enlightening us with the Bitton area, I think we have all learned a lot about another little bit of British railway history.

• RMweb Premium

I don't think he has to beat anyone Clive he has to enjoy what he is doing, the rest of the world can go to hell.

Miss Rivette Counteer was a young lady who wrote an essay on the uniforms of a couple of coppers that were hanging around the station on one of his old layouts. And it made letter of the month in one the modelling rags. :scared: So collectively we need to be one step ahead and get the right uniforms and cars, as important as the right trains. :yes: :yes: