Hornby's Warley Announcements.

Multiple identity account

Goodness micklner, that comment at 424 seems a bit ungracious. I went to your post with interest, as I expected you would have a well informed comment on what Hornby are to announce, especially relating to the Eastern side ....

John

Ungracious, I am sorry you think that way  . I personally simply don't like the way ( and  also saddened at the same time)  how new products are being marketed by some.

Although I can't bring myself to go through the topic from the start, I have formed the opinion over the last few days that they doesn't seem to be as much excitement over this years announcements.

I had a little RMweb hiatus last week and missed this thread developing so I set it aside for other more immediately interesting (and shorter) discussions. Trawling through all 18 pages, I have to say it was a bit turgid, though it had it's moments.

If I could be bothered to check I'm inclined to think that half the posts on this thread have been about either:

1 Hornby's evil intentions to putm everyone small firm out of business

2 laser scanning

and now

3 British HO?

rather than what Hornby might be announcing. I am aware that most threads on RMweb go rambling off topic, but this one does seem to have lost any momentum.

All I can say is that I remain disappointed, as I do enjoy the froth :-(

Hornby may be announcing on December 17, but this is what I am looking forward to on that day:

Actually I won't see it until the following weekend but it opens here on the 17th.

An open letter:

Dear fellow GWR fans,

do we really need or want anything more announced by Hornby this year? We have the King and Hall to look forward to already (or not, depending on your preference) and at last there is another Collett liveried Castle on the way (March reputedly).

I for one would like to wait and see how well they do in delivering these items rather than get all excited about more promises. Plus there are so many interesting items from Hattons and Kernow, courtesy of DJModels, and of course the Bachmann 64xx panniers* that are on their way as well.

* Which at this point (scheduled for Mar/April) will doubtless arrive ahead of the Hornby Hall (reputedly St. Valentine's Day) but possibly not by that much.

Yes, there are coaches, but more on that later.

Regarding some of your guesses/wishes chosen at random:

I think that the King as a head-liner probably rules out the original MN for another year, but could possibly point to much sought after GWR mainline passenger stock. We have a lot of LNER about to hit us so I can't see anything new coming from that corner this year.

Ah GWR coaches, glad you brought it up. I'd rather wait until their pipeline has a good cleanse and maybe we can see a return to the quality of the Maunsells and Hawksworths one day, then at that point, I'd like to see GWR coaches from Hornby. Having said that *someone* needs to do some. (The GWR did go down to Oxford as I recall. I wonder.) >>FROTH ALERT

Personally I'm hoping for an updated GWR County or Saint to be announced on Dec 17. These are really the only 2 main GWR 4-6-0's, apart from the Manor, that need an updated model.

Oh, please no, not yet. I'm still smarting over the Star. It stings still. I'd like to see that they can produce a quality Caerphilly Castle first. Then a Saint, one day.

I'm hoping to see an updated GWR 61xx Prairie tank, possibly with variations for the 31xx/41xx/51xx/81xx versions. From what I know, having a quick flick through the RCTS, the only real difference between all 5 versions, was the wheel diameter on the 81xx. Hornbys GWR stable needs an updated passenger Tank. SR has the M7, LMS has the 2P, LNER has the L1, so it would Be nice to see it updated.

There are enough GWR tanks around already.

Yes, my thoughts exactly.

What we need is some non-gangwayed GWR coaches to put behind our 56xx tanks to model passenger trains in the Cardiff valleys prior to their replacement by class 116 DMUs.

Yes, some non-gangwayed GWR coaches is an intriguing idea - cheaper to produce and less confusing than Churchward toplights and all those Collett bow-ended and not-bow-ended stock. But what bogies would they have dare I ask?

Right, its time to bring some entirely unscientific analysis to this thread. I have conducted an indepth examination of Hornby's announcements for 2014 and 2013 (unfortunately the 2012 thread on rmweb only has links to the Hornby website which of course don't work now).

2013 saw four steam locos announced, one emu and the sentinel. The mark 1 coaches and 3 wagons.

2014 saw five steam locos, another emu, the mark 2 coaches, more mark 1s and one wagon.

2015, so far two steam locos (king and radial), class 71, two wagons and lms suburbans.

So perhaps we can expect two or three steam locos, another non steam loco, probably not another range of coaches (though I live in constant hope of some GWR suburban stock) but perhaps another mark 1 (?) and possibly another wagon - possibly not

Ah, some analysis, I like the cut of your jib sir.

Were this a numerical progression, we'd see six new steam locomotives for 2015. (Perhaps with 15 manufacturers online this is not as absurd a proposition as it might appear, but those 15 suppliers don't seem to be reliably on-line.)

Three of the four steam locomotives from 2013 have made it into shops now, two years later.

Of course not one of those five from 2014 has made it to shops yet, even though they appear to be all scheduled in the first half including the laggard from 2013, so I'd go with no more than an additional two new steam locomotives beyond the GWR King and the LSWR Adams radial tank.

Keen poll-watchers might suggest:

BR Standard Class 2 2-6-0 (78000-78064)

SR Merchant Navy – Air-smoothed Casing 4-6-2 (35001-35030)

LSWR/SR S15 4-6-0 (30496-30515, 30823-30847)

Any of these would serve.

Big named and green would suggest the Merchant Navy or the S15, though one would think Bachmann would already have 'dibs' on the Merchant Navy having worked on the N gauge version, but an 'all duplicate' slate of new models (along with a 47xx) is certainly not an impossibility. I put it on my prognosticating list because I put it there every year.

2015 is the centenary of 1915 (and we're still waiting for the WWI ambulance train set).

As mentioned somewhere it is the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain - so perhaps we'll see some reissued spam cans emerge from the wormhole all the missing West Countries disappeared into and appear in very special cardboard sleeves with names like like Spitfire or Sir Frederick Pile. The 50th anniversary of Winston Churchill's funeral has been brought up already too.

The SECR Wainwright H 0-4-4T class seems like a long-shot to me. It's highly polled but with the LSWR Drummond M7 still in the range perhaps it's a bit redundant.

• RMweb Gold

Here is my froth fest:

APT-P with extra middle cars and black cab window surrounds.

P2 Earl Marechal as built only with extra smoke deflectors

Merchant Navy original streamlined form with TTS sound (1st or 2nd batch)

Rebuilt Merchant navy with TTS sound 2nd batch

Rebuilt West Country TTS sound

1954 Golden Arrow colours "City of Wells" TTS sound

S15 southern late BR crest

I'm really not holding my breath for any more Southern stuff this year given the two locos already announced but some that I would REALLY like to see and which would do my wallet terminal harm (if they all came the same year) would be:

Air-smoothed WC 34006 'Bude' (1960s condition with cut-down 4500g tender)

Rebuilt WC 34031 'Torrington' (requires 5250g tender body - also suitable for 'Braunton' and certain MNs)

Air-smoothed MN 35006 'Peninsular & Oriental SN Co' (final condition before rebuilding)

Rebuilt MN 35002 'Union Castle' (requires 5250g tender body - see above)

Rebuilt MN 35007 'Aberdeen Commonwealth' (requires 5000g tender body)

Not really bothered if they come with sound..........

John

• RMweb Gold

Ah, some analysis, I like the cut of your jib sir.

Were this a numerical progression, we'd see six new steam locomotives for 2015. (Perhaps with 15 manufacturers online this is not as absurd a proposition as it might appear, but those 15 suppliers don't seem to be reliably on-line.)

Three of the four steam locomotives from 2013 have made it into shops now, two years later.

Of course not one of those five from 2014 has made it to shops yet, even though they appear to be all scheduled in the first half including the laggard from 2013, so I'd go with no more than an additional two new steam locomotives beyond the GWR King and the LSWR Adams radial tank.

Keen poll-watchers might suggest:

BR Standard Class 2 2-6-0 (78000-78064)

SR Merchant Navy – Air-smoothed Casing 4-6-2 (35001-35030)

LSWR/SR S15 4-6-0 (30496-30515, 30823-30847)

Any of these would serve.

Big named and green would suggest the Merchant Navy or the S15, though one would think Bachmann would already have 'dibs' on the Merchant Navy having worked on the N gauge version, but an 'all duplicate' slate of new models is certainly not an impossibility. I put it on my prognosticating list because I put it there every year.

2015 is the centenary of 1915 (and we're still waiting for the WWI ambulance train set).

As mentioned somewhere it is the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain - so perhaps we'll see some reissued spam cans emerge from the wormhole all the missing West Countries disappeared into (like Spitfire or Sir Frederick Pile) and appear in very special cardboard sleeves. The 50th anniversary of Winston Churchill's funeral has been brought up already too.

The SECR Wainwright H 0-4-4T class seems like a long-shot to me. It's highly polled but with the LSWR Drummond M7 still in the range perhaps it's a bit redundant.

Just a few points

1. S15s were only green in certain periods and none were named before preservation.

2. How about a 'Lord Nelson'? Bachmann seem to have finally given up on theirs (unless anybody knows differently) so Hornby might see an opportunity.

3. I think the H Class tank is quite likely in the next few years but probably in a blue box rather than a red one given that Bachmann seem to like ex-SECR prototypes.

John

• RMweb Premium

Having followed the various Hornby and Warley threads, I'll make my final attempt at predicting what may be announced on 17th December:

Some have pointed out 2015 is the 50th anniversary of Sir Winston Churchill's funeral and the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain.

Next year is also the 50th anniversary of the completion of the bulk of the Liverpool/Manchester-Euston electrification through to London.

My first prediction is a brand new class 86, tooled up to represent the model to represent as many of the variants that can be accommodated as possible.

Accompanying that there'll be a train pack featuring a class 86 and three blue/grey and maroon Mk1s.

Hornby will announce a shortened version of Sir Winston Churchill's funeral train as a train pack, featuring 34051 in all its glory, containing new tooling for the SR luggage van and the 1951 Pullman carriages Carina and Perseus.

34064 Fighter Command will also be available separately.

It's also been decided any models produced from old Margate, ex-Dapol and ex-Lima tooling from 2015 will be under the Railroad banner and the 73, 101, 121, and J52 will become new members of the range.

There'll be enhancements to the DCC range including a mobile app for both iOS and Android systems. More locos will be fitted with TTS and sound decoders will become available separately.

Guest Belgian

The Adams Radial tank announcement seems to indicate Hornby has abandoned its 'design clever' philosophy. Good riddance. I have to say, as a Southern enthusiast, that I am really quite glad that Hornby didn't 'produce*/announce' any new Southern models in the past few years as they would have been tooled up within the 'design clever' parameters which the LNER and GWR lot have been saddled.

The 700 seems to have come sufficiently late in the day to have been tooled up within something like the old super-detail parameters so, if Hornby does decide to do an S15 it might match the 'King Arthur' rather than look like a toy version of the same. Perhaps we should all be pleased that Hornby have run into production problems as the number of models from the 'design clever' era actually making it into the hands of purchasers has been few, although the production of items such as the Dog (well named), the P2 and, notably, the 'Star', have blighted the prospects of getting 'proper' models no doubt forever.

However, I remain perplexed as to why Hornby has never even announced an Original Merchant Navy since such a model - with no pipe-work on a boiler, no handrails, very few separate fittings needed above the chassis level - would surely suit both the Railroad, the 'design clever' and the super-detail parameters at once, possibly the only problem it would have thrown up would have been the smokebox dart, in-cab detail and ladders on the back of the tender!

Nevertheless, it does seem that having Hornby 'announce' a model for forthcoming production, is no guarantee that I will see one in my lifetime (I'm a post-war product, but only just) so I've abandoned my Southern modelling and gone over to American N gauge instead.

JE

*something that seems to be noticeably absent regarding many earlier 'announcements'

M7 is South Western.

H is South Eastern.

South Western is now quite well served with models. South Eastern is still a rather barren land when it comes to everyday types.

My first prediction is a brand new class 86, tooled up to represent the model to represent as many of the variants that can be accommodated as possible.

Accompanying that there'll be a train pack featuring a class 86 and three blue/grey and maroon Mk1s.

I wish for that with all my heart....

• RMweb Gold

M7 is South Western.

H is South Eastern.

South Western is now quite well served with models. South Eastern is still a rather barren land when it comes to everyday types.

Quite right, and never the twain shall meet - when M7s were foist upon the Three Bridges - Tunbridge Wells services, replacing the Hs, they were not at all popular with the enginemen. And of course that territory is Brighton, whose tank locos were numerous but have failed to be taken up by the trade in any sensible form. The Dapol/Hornby Terrier was out of regular mainline service by the time of Grouping, the Hornby and Trix E2s were each models of a class of just 5, and all hopes are now pinned on the E4 from Blue Box plc.

... I have to say, as a Southern enthusiast, that I am really quite glad that Hornby didn't 'produce*/announce' any new Southern models in the past few years ...

Did you not notice the 2BILs and 2HALs, then? Both pretty decent models, I'd have said. The 2BIL is reputed to have been one of Hornby's best-selling launches of the last few years, so I guess some other people would agree with me.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Did you not notice the 2BILs and 2HALs, then? Both pretty decent models, I'd have said. The 2BIL is reputed to have been one of Hornby's best-selling launches of the last few years, so I guess some other people would agree with me.

Paul

I think the BIL had a shock value. After all, in contrast to so much at present, we'd hardly heard about it when limited supplies were on the shelves. As I now have two, as well as a HAL, I must be presumed to agree with you on it being "decent"!

The Adams Radial tank announcement seems to indicate Hornby has abandoned its 'design clever' philosophy. Good riddance. I have to say, as a Southern enthusiast, that I am really quite glad that Hornby didn't 'produce*/announce' any new Southern models in the past few years as they would have been tooled up within the 'design clever' parameters which the LNER and GWR lot have been saddled.

The 700 seems to have come sufficiently late in the day to have been tooled up within something like the old super-detail parameters so, if Hornby does decide to do an S15 it might match the 'King Arthur' rather than look like a toy version of the same. Perhaps we should all be pleased that Hornby have run into production problems as the number of models from the 'design clever' era actually making it into the hands of purchasers has been few, although the production of items such as the Dog (well named), the P2 and, notably, the 'Star', have blighted the prospects of getting 'proper' models no doubt forever.

However, I remain perplexed as to why Hornby has never even announced an Original Merchant Navy since such a model - with no pipe-work on a boiler, no handrails, very few separate fittings needed above the chassis level - would surely suit both the Railroad, the 'design clever' and the super-detail parameters at once, possibly the only problem it would have thrown up would have been the smokebox dart, in-cab detail and ladders on the back of the tender!

Nevertheless, it does seem that having Hornby 'announce' a model for forthcoming production, is no guarantee that I will see one in my lifetime (I'm a post-war product, but only just) so I've abandoned my Southern modelling and gone over to American N gauge instead.

JE

*something that seems to be noticeably absent regarding many earlier 'announcements'

But there were umpteen detail variations between the original condition 'MNs' (tenders, bodyside ribs, different front ends etc) - some of them quite obvious, some less so. Modellers these days would expect ALL of them. That means moulds with numerous slides. That means extra cost. That means high prices. Modellers these days don't expect high prices. If we could just learn to accept reasonable standards at reasonable prices (which was what design clever did) we'd have a happy forward-looking hobby. Unfortunately, we were spoiled with a golden era of high-end models at medium-end prices. It couldn't last. I haven't haven't seen anything yet from Hornby or anyone else that would make me abandon my Western or Southern modelling (or other regions if I did them). I bought a 'Star' and its great. I have the big tanks which I may tweak if I ever get round to it but I can't say there's anything that really bothers me, but then I grew up in an era when we were glad to get the Dublo Castle because it was the ONLY GWR ready to run, and the West Country with its cab full of ringfield motor because it was the ONLY model of something I saw every day.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

Yes i agree with that , but that is nothing to do with my point ,

1. He is charging full r.r.p for Hornby items and

2. He cannot guarantee that he can fulfil pre orders in the future.

3 As to a  "fix " thats what kits and ebay rebuilds are for  :jester:  :jester: and yes I have still haven't ordered a C1 either  :jester:

Sorry to remain OT but I'd love to know how any retailer can avoid charging full 'RRP'  (or something very near to it) for Hornby stuff and hope to remain in business on a trade discount level of only 10% (plus a possible further small saving for early payment)?  The only chance anyone has to discount at those sort of margins is if they own their own shop and their Business Rates and overheads such as wages and utility bills are very low.

Retailers can guarantee to fulfil pre-orders if Hornby do the same - if Hornby oversell (e.g the 2 Bil) or under produce against firm orders (e.g, Exeter) the problem is with them, not with the retailer - although it's his business which suffers as a result.

And in many respects the situation is just the same with any other product we buy for railway modelling - if the manufacturer doesn't make enough we might not all get what we want.

As far as Hornby frothing is concerned my views are quite straightforward - I think a Q6 is very likely although I could see a B16 as a curve ball, there might be a GWR re-vamp, and there might be some modern wagons; the modern traction thing will be covered by the Class 71 but I don't rule out an upgraded Class 59.  The major sales pitch will come around a 'Winston Churchill funeral train' commemorative set, probably in limited edition form in special packaging.  Another possible curve ball is  Railroad range steam outline 0-6-0 with a pretty accurate industrial body which would also suit the upgrading market.

• RMweb Gold

Paul

Reputedly Hornby had made fewer 2 BILs in the original batch that Bachmann had made Blue Pullmans, and they didn't announce it until after production had been completed.  The popularity of the 2 BIL took them by surpsie despite the fact that the trade had been on at them for some years to make one.

• RMweb Gold

Having followed the various Hornby and Warley threads, I'll make my final attempt at predicting what may be announced on 17th December:

Some have pointed out 2015 is the 50th anniversary of Sir Winston Churchill's funeral and the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain.

Next year is also the 50th anniversary of the completion of the bulk of the Liverpool/Manchester-Euston electrification through to London.

Hornby will announce a shortened version of Sir Winston Churchill's funeral train as a train pack, featuring 34051 in all its glory, containing new tooling for the SR luggage van and the 1951 Pullman carriages Carina and Perseus.

34064 Fighter Command will also be available separately.

It's also been decided any models produced from old Margate, ex-Dapol and ex-Lima tooling from 2015 will be under the Railroad banner and the 73, 101, 121, and J52 will become new members of the range.

There'll be enhancements to the DCC range including a mobile app for both iOS and Android systems. More locos will be fitted with TTS and sound decoders will become available separately.

34064 presents tooling problems.You must know why that is so?

... The popularity of the 2 BIL took [Hornby] by surprise despite the fact that the trade had been on at them for some years to make one.

And maybe the excitement of a model being announced and then almost immediately made available was part of what contributed to its success? It's easy to get tired and frustrated waiting months and years for a model, and maybe some of the enthusiasm wears off in that time.

Then again, when every other manufacturer is trying to grab territory by announcing that morning's brainwave, I can see why that sort of competitor behaviour might drive me also towards ever earlier (premature?) announcements.

Paul

JE

I agree about the 700, when i looked and handled the loco at Coventry, I could see no design clever about it.

A lot of the small parts where separate fittings and very fine bit of work, If this is how the model is coming out then i think they are on to a winner.

I know that i will be getting a couple of them,to go alongside my PDK one, the only thing that could ruining this is not enough models being done.

But there were umpteen detail variations between the original condition 'MNs' (tenders, bodyside ribs, different front ends etc) - some of them quite obvious, some less so. Modellers these days would expect ALL of them. That means moulds with numerous slides. That means extra cost. That means high prices.

Please Chris,

We've been through this many times.

Series 2 and 3, that's twenty out of thirty locos, were the same apart from the two tender types.

Hornby has so far only done Series 2 and 3 rebuilt MNs and has done pretty well out of those, hasn't it?

No one is asking for every variation.We would be happy with the standard (yes) Series 2 and 3 BR body form and those wanting Series 1 or earlier experimental forms would enjoy having a go at doing the modifications needed.

I think the BIL had a shock value. After all, in contrast to so much at present, we'd hardly heard about it when limited supplies were on the shelves. As I now have two, as well as a HAL, I must be presumed to agree with you on it being "decent"!

Do they run on the US mainline or the narrow gauge layout?/

• RMweb Gold

Do they run on the US mainline or the narrow gauge layout?/

You are a bully! Back in early 1993, I was with one Phil Rowe in his office near Kings Cross, and we needed to consult you on something. Phil rang your number, and I heard him say "Oh, hello Mike, I've got Ian with me, and he says he'd like to stick a red hot poker right up....". He then admitted you hadn't answered the phone. At the time I felt his suggestion a little harsh. Now I'm not so sure.

Guest Belgian

But there were umpteen detail variations between the original condition 'MNs' (tenders, bodyside ribs, different front ends etc) - some of them quite obvious, some less so. Modellers these days would expect ALL of them. That means moulds with numerous slides. That means extra cost. That means high prices. Modellers these days don't expect high prices. If we could just learn to accept reasonable standards at reasonable prices (which was what design clever did) we'd have a happy forward-looking hobby. Unfortunately, we were spoiled with a golden era of high-end models at medium-end prices. It couldn't last. I haven't haven't seen anything yet from Hornby or anyone else that would make me abandon my Western or Southern modelling (or other regions if I did them). I bought a 'Star' and its great. I have the big tanks which I may tweak if I ever get round to it but I can't say there's anything that really bothers me, but then I grew up in an era when we were glad to get the Dublo Castle because it was the ONLY GWR ready to run, and the West Country with its cab full of ringfield motor because it was the ONLY model of something I saw every day.

CHRIS LEIGH

As Forester says:

We've been through this many times.

Series 2 and 3, that's twenty out of thirty locos, were the same apart from the two tender types.

Hornby has so far only done Series 2 and 3 rebuilt MNs and has done pretty well out of those, hasn't it?

No one is asking for every variation.We would be happy with the standard (yes) Series 2 and 3 BR body form and those wanting Series 1 or earlier experimental forms would enjoy having a go at doing the modifications needed.

In particular I agree with the final sentiment therein, I'm sure Southern modellers would be happy with a series 2 or 3 model anyway. There's no need to do every variation - although it would be intelligent to make provision at the design stage to provide options.

I would add, as I have previously said in an earlier post, that I'm also sure that even the Series 1 models wouldn't be a real problem, despite the ribs on 8 of them, a far simpler adjustment to the moulds than many other variations that have appeared on many models - even the 'design clever' GW 2-8-0 and 2-8-2 tanks with various forms of footplates and bunkers. The front end isn't hugely different to the series 2 and 3 engines except for the amount of turn-in of the lower fairing to the buffer beam. The tender chassis have been done already (series 1 and 2 used the same wheelbase with just a variation in the springs and hangers) and for an initial release the cut-down version could be used anyway. The most extensive changes relate to the size of the various smoke deflectors and Hornby have already shown they can cope with the varieties of safety valve positions on the Light Pacifics.

In general it seems to be recognised that the BR period is the most popular to modellers so the production of a 1950s-era series 2 or 3 MN with the later style cab would cover probably 80% of the market anyway and the 1948-Exchange locos had that cab fitted whilst still in Malachite and BR blue liveries.

I still think the production of an MN, devoid as it is of all the paraphernalia that non-airsmoothed locomotives exhibit, would be a relatively simple undertaking for a manufacturer, especially Hornby who have all the necessary parts already available for the chassis anyhow.

JE

Archived