Hornby's Warley Announcements.

Multiple identity account

So - desperately trying to move the thread along - with a new king, Adams radial, class 71 and NE hopper announced a and some LMS non corridor stock displayed do we think anything else 'new' will be announced on 17 Dec?

It's difficult, the decision as to "next years" range will  PRESUMABLY  have been made before the threat of the "new, small boys" was made quite so clear, but how flexible/responsive are Hornby.

IF, they have one or two other new locos to announce, then fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have a "flyer" showing that 2 or 3 of their old mould models are also going to be updated.   My totally uninformed guess is that such models as the GWR 14xx, J-94 and SR Terrier are all good choices - but when do Hornby have manufacturing slots ?

I'm sure Hornby's Board Room will be a very busy place over the next week or so.

I'll hazard a guess at an ex LNER 0-6-0 tank, either J50 or J69, so there's no chance of that this year.....

However I did say a 71 last year and we got 2 this year so I'll know what to go for in the 2016 thread....

A 71 as Hornby are quoting a 2016 release anyway, sort of leaves the market open for the DJM one and presuambly everyone who really wanted one have already gone for DJM.

Well my two penneth of predictions based on what Hornby have done recently and also what's missing from the catalogue this year are:

Class 142 Pacer or Class 156 Super Sprinter (remember that name from back in the day?) done to same standard as the 2BIL or 2HAL

New Mk3 coaches like the dual range Mk1s and Mk2s

Lima Class 60 for RailRoad TTS

Another variant of the Sentinel

A 2015 wagon  :jester:

I think we've seem the steam age models announced at Warley except possibly an A4 nose on the P2

A 71 as Hornby are quoting a 2016 release anyway, sort of leaves the market open for the DJM one and presuambly everyone who really wanted one have already gone for DJM.

Possibly so....but seeing as that's a kickstarter project I can see a fair few go 'sod it, I'll wait till they hit the shops'. I don't want one particularly but if it turns up and is pretty nice I can see a fair few finding their way into display cabinets etc, especially if everyone has gone for the DJM ones and it ends up discounted at an early stage.

The point I was making was that 2 have been announced this year and I guessed at one last year.....

Thanks John, much appreciated. My scale modelling skills in the real world are pitiful (I'm dreading the day I start my first proper layout)! Hopefully I make up for it in the digital realm ;-)

Careful. The serious modellers don't like digital manipulation which amounts to fraudulent representation, unless confined to carefully-judged added skies, and possibly zone-focussing. No matter how much you like and admire their work, and enjoy RTR models, you have to be careful if you do what I USED to do here, making scenes or pictures using RTR models.

But I still love the beautifully-made models we can buy, and admire the superb work many do from scratch or from kits. ... and now make my pictures elsewhere.

https://www.facebook.com/brsteamphotos?ref=bookmarks

• RMweb Premium

I'm hoping to see an updated GWR 61xx Prairie tank, possibly with variations for the 31xx/41xx/51xx/81xx versions. From what I know, having a quick flick through the RCTS, the only real difference between all 5 versions, was the wheel diameter on the 81xx. Hornbys GWR stable needs an updated passenger Tank. SR has the M7, LMS has the 2P, LNER has the L1, so it would Be nice to see it updated.

I'm hoping to see an updated GWR 61xx Prairie tank, possibly with variations for the 31xx/41xx/51xx/81xx versions. From what I know, having a quick flick through the RCTS, the only real difference between all 5 versions, was the wheel diameter on the 81xx. Hornbys GWR stable needs an updated passenger Tank. SR has the M7, LMS has the 2P, LNER has the L1, so it would Be nice to see it updated.

It is a lot more complex than that. 6116 also had smaller wheels, there are two different boiler sizes, square/drop frame, bunker variations  etc

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

There are all those variations in the 42xx/52xx/72xx as well. The biggest difference I believe in tooling would be adapting the chassis for the different wheel size of the 81xx. Which ones had a different boiler size? I know that the 61xx had a different boiler pressure.

Edited to fix Toilet haha whoops

• RMweb Premium

Possibly so....but seeing as that's a kickstarter project I can see a fair few go 'sod it, I'll wait till they hit the shops'. I don't want one particularly but if it turns up and is pretty nice I can see a fair few finding their way into display cabinets etc, especially if everyone has gone for the DJM ones and it ends up discounted at an early stage.

The point I was making was that 2 have been announced this year and I guessed at one last year.....

But will the DJM one appear before 2016? IIRC Dave has said, in general terms, that his models take about two years from gestation to production, which is pretty much on a par with the other manufacturers. Perhaps as a Kickstarter project it will progress more quickly.

I'm not interested in a Class 71, so for me it will be the first to manufacture an acceptable Class 74 which I would expect both to cover as a tooling variant in due course.

Which ones had a different toilet size? I know that the 61xx had a different boiler pressure.

I presume you mean different boiler size?  I think that the toilet facilities were identical on all steam locomotives --- you just checked you were not passing through a station at the time!

• RMweb Premium

I presume you mean different boiler size?  I think that the toilet facilities were identical on all steam locomotives --- you just checked you were not passing through a station at the time!

And that you were upwind to avoid getting your own back.  In emergency you could always wash down with the slacker hose ;)

To address the class 71 issue at this stage DJM has suggested "late 2015 delivery" while Hornby have offered a vague "2016".  Anyone who hasn't already done so might also wish to check out Dave Jones' announcement this morning in conjunction with numerous other businesses.  If that doesn't have teeth gnashed and hands wrung in Margate I'm not sure what will.

• RMweb Gold

I think we've seem the steam age models announced at Warley except possibly an A4 nose on the P2

Ah, the steam age. Hornby's 2-BIL and 2-HAL are models from that era, despite being electric, so the 4-COR still isn't dead in the water on that basis. All these units had been built and were in service several years before Bulleid built any pacifics, and I think plenty of other Big 4 steam locos post-date them, too. Not to mention the BR Standards - when they started to be built some of those electrics were almost middle-aged!

• RMweb Premium

To address the class 71 issue at this stage DJM has suggested "late 2015 delivery" while Hornby have offered a vague "2016".  Anyone who hasn't already done so might also wish to check out Dave Jones' announcement this morning in conjunction with numerous other businesses.  If that doesn't have teeth gnashed and hands wrung in Margate I'm not sure what will.

I think that it will undoubtedly be the case that Hornby will take no pleasure in some of this duplication, however I am guessing it will not be especially welcome to any of the other parties either. I am a bit worried that such duplication will not be positive for the suppliers however there is no question that they are all free to produce whatever they want and I do not think some of the under current going around at the moment which infers that this duplication is all some nefarious plot is either accurate or helpful nor do I see any reason why Hornby should abandon any plans any more than DJM, Kernow, Oxford or anybody else should alter plans to help Hornby.

At the moment we are seeing a lot of statements judging the comparative qualities of models which to date exist as 3D virtual models. Based on DJM's efforts at Dapol I have no doubt he will produce excellent models, but I can also point to plenty of excellent Hornby models and after a rocky patch the early shots of their new tooling (which whilst not in shops are an awful lot more than scans) look excellent and to argue that one or the other will be better or worse than the other at this stage is based on brand loyalty and faith in a favourite supplier, no more. There is every possibility that all of the duplicate models will be excellent, in which case we can all buy what we like and be happy. If one is decidedly better then I am guessing most people on this board will buy the better model regardless of which supplier it comes from. The market will decide based on the models qualities, pricing and availability.

If all this seems very "rah rah raf Hornby are great" I apologise. I am a fan of Hornby in the way I am a fan of other suppliers (which will include DJM when their models start emerging from the pipeline) and am not so blind that I do not recognise the travaila that Hornby have gone through since SK's demise in China. That said, maybe I am lucky, but after buying models from Hornby, Bachmann, Heljan and Dapol I can honestly say that aside from a few detail parts that separate in transit (in reality an unavoidable risk given todays plethora of separately fitted parts) all of them have ran well, been nicely made and more than acceptable. Maybe I have low expectations but then again maybe it is better to be happy than always in a state of wanting something better.

If people want to commit toDJM, Oxford, Kernow, Hornby, Heljan or whomever then fine, but I think we should be honest enough to admit that we are making that committment based on models that do not yet exist and with no evidence to support it either way.

Having seen the long list of Hornby items deferred into 2015 (four or five pages of them), is there any truth in the rumour that the 2015 Hornby catalogue will just be a sticker to put on the front of the 2014 edition?

John

If it is, there would be no reason for them trying to sell remaining 2014 catalogues for 50p right now (see Black Friday).

If Hornby showed at Warley all new tooling they had planned for 2015/16, then clearly having all 3 of your new locos duplicated must be a real nightmare. There could even be panic in the ranks over possible spying!

I would say, "we,ll see on the 17th December", but right now, if their next years program was fully duplicated, I would be announcing the following years on top, even if all I had was photos.

Hope the rumours for the APT are true (with extra cars).

The biggest problem with this duplication is that the small model shops will suffer, having neither commissioned products and possibly facing a reply from Hornby to keep some new best models for themselves and concessions (personally I don,t see the advantage for Hornby with concessions since they retain ownership of the stock which means they don,t get paid until we end punters buy it - but what do I know).

In the new World of Duplication there would need to be a different process of choosing subjects so as to confound the duplicators.

We would have to re-run the Wishlist to take this probability into account. No point in choosing BR Standards as they were all the same and therefore we'd get the same models from all the producers.

Instead we might choose the Maunsell/Urie/Drummond H15 where no two seemed to be alike, therefore if we got three models from different producers they might be all different versions and a we could use them all.   

As for the original Merchant Navy .......

..... not enough producers to cover them all :yes:

What a nightmare duplication is - I guess that now we have more entrants in the market place, it is always likely to happen, and dare I say that the online vote for most popular models could be backfiring which would be a shame (though I do enjoy voting and seeing the results).

I hope all suppliers can survive and we can all be happy modellers - the world is a lovely place through these rose coloured specs! 

For 2015 I do tend to agree with other's sentiments in that Hornby may have had their hand somewhat forced in announcing the Adams / Class 71 / King already, so they may just bring a future announcement forward for 17.12.14. Though the catalogue may already be at the printers, be interesting to see if there is a 'stop press' in there.

My prediction is for an S15 (though I am not hankering after one myself) and possibly something pre-grouping, maybe with a Caledonian theme (here's hoping). Bound to be a few more buildings, private own livery wagons, re-liveries (Sentinel in Blue Circle Cement colours would be a winner I am sure), and extending the new Mk1's but maybe not Blue-Grey (which I would like) this year given that the Mk3;s (HST) and Mk2E's are jut out in that livery. Just a thought - GWR coaching stock, I know this would make a lot of people very happy! Please can we extend the Stanier's LMS coaching range (doubtful that will happen though).

With all the forthcoming models pending from announcements already made, hopefully there is something for everyone to look forward to!

Lets wait and see!

Archived