Hornby's Warley Announcements.

Multiple identity account

Hmmm, sound like there will be a few duplicates them... King for one. That aside I sure hope that some Rodded Sentinels are on the cards after the success of last years release and the hint (or mistake :jester: ) in the instruction manuals with them... :locomotive:

I think the King was already addressed by Hornby back in August, when they announced it just after the Hattons/DJ Models announcement. Potentially the Hornby King was due to be announced in December I suspect with the rest of the 2015 catalogue, but was bought forward due to the Hattons announcement. Hornby are normally well along the r&d before they announce a model, which is why they are normally able to get them into the shops in 12-18 months. This years new models were all tooled before the middle of the year, but other issues have delayed 5 of the 6 locos, but they are all ready to be produced from recent livery images.

When the potential duplication of the Adams Radial came to light, Graham Muspratt and Dave Jones indicated there was a model, at that time unannounced, that had 4 manufacturers researching. I and many others concluded it was the Adams Radial, with Kernow Models, BritTrains (the UK outline offshoot of AusTrains) and Oxford Rail being three likely candidates. Since then Kernow have confirmed that their postings of Radial photos on their facebook site was to alert BritTrains, that they were working on the Radial with the Bluebell and Oxford have confirmed their intention with tooling well under way. The fourth manufacturer is, I believe, Hornby, who would, based on their previous r&d timescales, be well ahead in the design and tooling. If so, it will be an unfortunate race between Hornby and Oxford, as both are likely to be well advanced in preparing tooling. I suspect the Hornby announcement at Warley could be the Radial, as Kernow are due to announce their new loco projects their. Will Kernow continue with the Radial? It is unfortunate, but an almost certain result due to the number of businesses now producing UK outline models, and aiming to get good sales by using consumer wishlists.

Ok, I have no idea what Hornby are going to produce and as a confirmed Western man, obviously I'm not interested in anything unless its green and had copper trimmings.

With the announcement of the Hornby King, I don't really expect any other new GWR engine, but as we have seen a move away from the big engines with last years announcements perhaps a smaller GW engine is possible (so not a new County) possibly a new Dean goods, or perhaps something less obvious.

I'm sure all Western people on here would agree that we need some Western non-corridor stock, and surely its about time Hornby, having done so well with the NE suburbans and the Southern electrics (also in my book suburbans) turned their attention to either Western or Midland non-corridor coaches.

Possibly some strange western wagon stock - perhaps a CORAL.

But hey - I've been wrong every year before now and I'm sure that won't be changing.

As always I will watch other's people's guess work with interest.

Dean

.... We have a lot of LNER about to hit us so I can't see anything new coming from that corner this year. ...

I see your point, but most of the new LNER items were supposed to have been released already - so they may have been planning something else LNER for 2015.

My guess is that the B12 is ripe for renewal; and the relative simplicity of the model (inside motion and all that) might make it attractive for new factories which Hornby is trying to get to the right standard.

Then again, I would like to see a re-tooled B12 so maybe this is all just wishful thinking!

Paul

Hi. Has anybody noticed that Hornby seem to be avoiding outside Walschaerts valve gear recently?  DofG, P2, King, 700, D16, J15 ( apart from the K1 ). I therefore reckon we are due for a Merchant Navy. The chassis is already available and with some clever, and expensive, tooling various external variations could be produced.

Roger.

Hmmm, sound like there will be a few duplicates them... King for one. That aside I sure hope that some Rodded Sentinels are on the cards after the success of last years release and the hint (or mistake :jester: ) in the instruction manuals with them... :locomotive:

What was the cryptic mistake/clue in the instruction manual? I've had a look at the service sheet on line and its either been edited or its too subtle for me!

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

http://www.Hornby.com/news/Hornby-range-announcement-2015/

One line has caught my eye.... "We have no intention of changing our plans" please don't tell me it's another Adams Radial?? If it is the maybe one of Simon's older blogs "Be Careful What You Wish For" will really have meaning.... i.e. after topping the wishlist polls for a few years now, the Adams Radial would have been duplicated numerous times.

Cheers!

J.

So going by what is in the public arena there's the 'King' 

And going by recent seemingly good quality rumours (including the reported words of a Hornby rep) there might be the Adams radial 

And going by some stories about in the industry some months ago there might be the Q6

To which could we possibly add the ** ********* ??

I doubt the Class 90 unless Bachmann thought they were far enough ahead not to worry;  the 'Hall' has ceased to be duplicated as of Bachmann's announcement to drop theirs.  So I reckon my top 3 listed above are the most likely candidates.  Bet there won't be any Collett coaches, duplicated or not duplicated - alas.

PS  And no doubt whatever it is/they are if Hornby make it/them they are likely to outsell whoever else is doing it simply because they access a much larger market.

I see your point, but most of the new LNER items were supposed to have been released already - so they may have been planning something else LNER for 2015.

My guess is that the B12 is ripe for renewal; and the relative simplicity of the model (inside motion and all that) might make it attractive for new factories which Hornby is trying to get to the right standard.

Then again, I would like to see a re-tooled B12 so maybe this is all just wishful thinking!

Paul

I would be happy to see a new B12 (a K4 would be even better!) and see your logic. But with the B17, B1 and L1 preceding these forthcoming releases and all remaining in the catalogue, the market for superdetailed mid-range LNER locos may be getting a bit saturated for now!  With the 2 suburban coach variants it has been a good move from Hornby to bring out all of these locos but surely 5 or 6 appropriate classes is enough to justify the release of these coaches?

I'm not saying this to ruffle your feathers though Fenman, it is just my observation and opinion. Putting fuel on the fire of discussion if I may! There is plenty in the pipeline for me to spend my money on in 2015/16 so I'm very happy to see modellers of other regions getting what they want in the mean time, as long as an S15 isn't too far away  :P . 

Duplication guess :---  

I guess a J.94.   Hornby have the moulds and can pretty much charge what they like as they MUST have paid for themselves several times over.

Froth for 2015 range :---

4-COR  E.M.U.

S-15

BR Standard 2MT 2-6-0

I doubt whether any of the above is correct.

What was the cryptic mistake/clue in the instruction manual? I've had a look at the service sheet on line and its either been edited or its too subtle for me!

Cheers

The line drawing on the instruction sheet provided with the chain drive model actually depicted the rod drive version. There was some discussion at the time as to whether this indicated that the rod drive version was in the pipeline.

We'll see.

• RMweb Premium

I suspect much of what may be announced will depend on the capabilities of their new suppliers, especially with the former Sanda Kan-made super-detailed models, on how well their old tooling can be adapted to suit the new suppliers' production lines.

My speculation for new tooling:

A new B12 to match the standards of their forthcoming D16;

Class 47 to go head to head with Bachmann and Heljan;

Another Southern Region EMU - this time a 2-car Bulleid 2HAP, 2EPB or post-war 2HAL;

LSWR Urie H15 4-6-0 with tooling options for Urie's S15 (and eventually the Maunsell versions);

Eurostar Velaro Class 374 EMU

Hornby will release through its Arnold brand, the Velaro in Eurostar livery and the class 395 Javelin in N.

They'll also launch a new mobile app for DCC.

I think the King was already addressed by Hornby back in August, when they announced it just after the Hattons/DJ Models announcement. Potentially the Hornby King was due to be announced in December I suspect with the rest of the 2015 catalogue, but was bought forward due to the Hattons announcement. Hornby are normally well along the r&d before they announce a model, which is why they are normally able to get them into the shops in 12-18 months. This years new models were all tooled before the middle of the year, but other issues have delayed 5 of the 6 locos, but they are all ready to be produced from recent livery images.

When the potential duplication of the Adams Radial came to light, Graham Muspratt and Dave Jones indicated there was a model, at that time unannounced, that had 4 manufacturers researching. I and many others concluded it was the Adams Radial, with Kernow Models, BritTrains (the UK outline offshoot of AusTrains) and Oxford Rail being three likely candidates. Since then Kernow have confirmed that their postings of Radial photos on their facebook site was to alert BritTrains, that they were working on the Radial with the Bluebell and Oxford have confirmed their intention with tooling well under way. The fourth manufacturer is, I believe, Hornby, who would, based on their previous r&d timescales, be well ahead in the design and tooling. If so, it will be an unfortunate race between Hornby and Oxford, as both are likely to be well advanced in preparing tooling. I suspect the Hornby announcement at Warley could be the Radial, as Kernow are due to announce their new loco projects their. Will Kernow continue with the Radial? It is unfortunate, but an almost certain result due to the number of businesses now producing UK outline models, and aiming to get good sales by using consumer wishlists.

As much as I love the Adams 4-4-2, I certainly would not buy 4 of them and I seriously doubt the market would support of them all.

Kernow posted a CAD of a chimney recently, that looked more SECR P class than Adams to me ( of course some say the well tank had the wrong shaped chimney so.....).

The problem with duplicates is that if you buy one different member of the class from each manufacturer, instead of seeing differences between class members, you end up seeing differences between each manufacturers models.

Here is hoping we are not going to have multiple manufacturers on the same loco because inevitably the resources of the manufacturers will be tied up which would delay the next projects.

I would like to see more resin buildings suitable for larger town and city centers (three storey shops and offices - probably too much to ask for anything higher). And some Georgian terraced houses or high Victorian Eaton Square type.

This duplication might be the result of the market readjusting to the requirements and demands that we as modellers have placed upon manufacturers. The fact that things like the Radial tank appear so highly is because a lot of the engines of the time period have been done. If your taking the Southern by example, a rebuilt Merchant Navy, and rebuilt West Country are there, as are schools, Lord Nelson's, T9, Wainwright-C class thingies, Greyhounds or something or other, Q1, N-15, BR Standard 5, BR standard 4, Slam Door Mk1 stock, Southern 3rd rail EMUs, class 33, class 73 (new one to come too), even Pullman EMUs too and a USA dock tank. You have the entire range more or less covered from top link to slam door and transition diesel or ED too. This means the whole transition layout is possible and that is why the market is driving towards that period, its also the same in other regions, especially when people want pre-grouping engines that lasted till the end of steam, or near enough.

The main companies like Hornby and Bachmann should attempt to realise that small numbered fleets with a novelty factor are perfect for the shops or special commissioned market, leaving them the space to aim for general fleet engines like the S15, unrebuilt Merchant Navy, even if It doesnt have to be tender engines. It does mean that they still need to choose wisely as the choice still needs to be relavent and important enough to be needed and thus be demanded more than a novel engine that appears on layouts for the extra touch.  

However, these projects have probably been in planning for sometime and its logical to assume that the companies have not factored this into decision making. As a result duplication sadly might be the result in 2015 and not just limited to Hornby.

I would be happy to see a new B12 (a K4 would be even better!) and see your logic. But with the B17, B1 and L1 preceding these forthcoming releases and all remaining in the catalogue, the market for superdetailed mid-range LNER locos may be getting a bit saturated for now!  With the 2 suburban coach variants it has been a good move from Hornby to bring out all of these locos but surely 5 or 6 appropriate classes is enough to justify the release of these coaches?

I'm not saying this to ruffle your feathers though Fenman, it is just my observation and opinion. Putting fuel on the fire of discussion if I may! There is plenty in the pipeline for me to spend my money on in 2015/16 so I'm very happy to see modellers of other regions getting what they want in the mean time, as long as an S15 isn't too far away  :P . 

Are you for real?

That might be true of the GE, but its certainly not true of those north of Doncaster.

B16, J27, J21, J25/26, G5, D49, A8...

Still plenty to choose from. Think your S15 is due soon though, from Hornby or Bachmann, or both?

I just wonder if it's something other than a model?

I haven't been paying close attention to Hornby's recent developments in the computing/electronics, but it seemed to me over the last couple of years they were paying attention to young entrants and where Hornby's future growth would be coming from.

Maybe a Hornby gizmo that has the simplicity of the much discussed Bachmann E-Z App?

Updated Zero-1?

Hat, coat, etc...

• RMweb Premium

New style management I think Downer. The only thing you can take for definite is that the new range will be announced 17th December. And as they've already been working on them for 12 to 18months maybe they'll actually see light of day in 2015. Great they've avoided Christmas !

Wouldn't be surprised if they attempt to steal limelight by presenting an early engineering prototype of King at Warley , just to demonstrate they are well on way.

Truly it would be appalling if we end up with more than 1 Adams Radial, let alone 4 , when us poor modellers north of the border still only have 1960s-1980s superannuated models!

Maybe there's something in their plans that would duplicate something already in existence, but update it to steal the thunder from another manufacturer. Not necessarily anything big either, but something small and made in many numbers that would offer multiple purchases rather than just the odd one.

The J72 springs instantly to mind, as the old mainline version still being sold is nice, but could do with a little updating really. Bachmann pretty much have the LMS singer market cornered and have inroads into the GWR corner, that just leaves the eastern side of the country (Northern and Southern) to cover.

Just a thought, and a hope!

Cheers

J

Archived