Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Another batch have arrived with Hattons: H1402, H1406, H1413, H1414, which includes two pristine BR lined green versions and this weathered Great Western version:

H1402: http://www.hattons.co.uk/94504/DJ_Models_Dave_Jones_H1402_Class_58xx_0_4_2T_5814_in_GWR_Unlined_green_with_Great_Western_lettering_Lightl/StockDetail.aspx

I always use superglue anyway. Does PVA react with the lead?

PVA is water based and has Acetic Acid in it, just sniff for that vinegar nose. Lead reacts readily with acetic acid to form Lead acetate, aka sugar of lead, soluble and very toxic as a result - better to use a non-aqueous based glue.

Same would apply to acid cured silicone resin + lead regarding reaction as the acid used is acetic.

How do you know....................... ah of course, no ashpan.

That excuses the Hattons model- if leaving it off was good enough for Revd Awdrey then it must be good enough for the rest of us.  

Les

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

We've had four further locos in stock today including the first weathered example - H1402 (5814 in Great Western Railway green) and two preserved examples (H1406 - 1420 in GWR green and H1414 - 1450 in BR lined green) alongside H1413 - 1444 in BR lined green to complete the quartet. Info on all the locos now in stock is available Here.

Regarding the ongoing discussion on the running qualities of the models, we have been reading the various posts in the thread and taking these on board, however I can confirm that out of the several thousand sold, we have had less than 1% returned with issues thus far.  If you are experiencing issues with your loco, then please get in touch with us through the usual channels and we will arrange for it to be replaced.

Cheers,

Dave

H1402_3117974_Qty1_1.jpg

H1413_3117985_Qty1_1.jpg

• Like 15

Clearly DJM / Hattons have been consulting no less authority than the Rev W Awdrey in the design of this model.

Typical of Hornby to get that one wrong :

post-15098-0-30338400-1489517145_thumb.jpg

The original Airfix chassis too sits down at the back, trailing wheel has slight movement

post-15098-0-57587700-1489517165_thumb.jpg

A comparison between Dapol and Hornby 14XX, nothing was changed until 2005 at least.

post-15098-0-99920400-1489517187_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

As you know from earlier in the thread still very happy with my old 1999 model Hornby 14xx. Changed the centre drivers over to non-tyred ones. Change in running qualities was staggering! Would not swap this one for anything.post-3148-0-25354300-1489519325_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Mine has just blown a Guagemaster decoder,just sitting on the DCC layout , replaced the blanking plate and runs ok on DC on my analogue test track thank goodness,hopefully a dodgy decoder,Still wondering if the current draw may have been too much as mine has been susceptible to stuttering/hesitating on possible dirty track .

• RMweb Premium

H1413_3117985_Qty1_1.jpg

I personally think this is the best rendition of BR green from any of the RTR manufacturers.

Subjective, I know, but in the published photos it looks a tad too 'grassy' to my eye.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Subjective, I know, but in the published photos it looks a tad too 'grassy' to my eye.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

H1413_3117985_Qty1_1.jpg

I personally think this is the best rendition of BR green from any of the RTR manufacturers.

Well whatever....it will sit nicely coupled to a Bachmann Hawksworth autocoach I think.

My 5819 is fine and runs well. I have a 14XX coming in the post. It will be interesting to see if I get two good ones. Been a heavy week for new models as I 'had to' buy a Hornby 'MN' and I've got three Budd cars coming from Rapido later in the week. That's a frightening few £s worth - good thing I didn't order or pay for them all at the same time! (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

My 5819 is fine and runs well. I have a 14XX coming in the post. It will be interesting to see if I get two good ones. Been a heavy week for new models as I 'had to' buy a Hornby 'MN' and I've got three Budd cars coming from Rapido later in the week. That's a frightening few £s worth - good thing I didn't order or pay for them all at the same time! (CJL)

Never resent money spent on your hobby, Dibber; that is only giving in to naysayers and knowlessmen who do not understand and are not entitled to an opinion.  You wouldn't have bought the 14xx, MN, or Budds if you didn't want them.  They give you pleasure, and that makes it worth any money...

Never resent money spent on your hobby, Dibber; that is only giving in to naysayers and knowlessmen who do not understand and are not entitled to an opinion.  You wouldn't have bought the 14xx, MN, or Budds if you didn't want them.  They give you pleasure, and that makes it worth any money...

That's the way I like to think of it. I'm Ok with folk having an opinion but it doesn't need to be aggressively expressed. Manufacturers have a desire to produce products that please customers but you can only please some of the people some of the time. My 1450 has just arrived, so I'm off to give it a test run. (CJL)

My Hattons 58xx and 14xx on the left. To the right, original Airfix and later Dapol (Titfield Thunderbolt limited edition). Can't find a K's one, so I must have upgraded from K's to Airfix/Dapol when I was running Black Dog Halt. I guess the two Airfix that I've got can go on Ebay but the Dapol Titfield limited edition stays. (CJL)

post-1062-0-74747800-1489672947_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Mine has arrived this morning as well, and thanks to the kind suggestion of a friend, I won't need to send it back just because I forgot to order one with a top feed. Changing the number is much easier. I shall give it a trial run as and when I get the time and opportunity.

• Like 2

That's the way I like to think of it. I'm Ok with folk having an opinion but it doesn't need to be aggressively expressed. Manufacturers have a desire to produce products that please customers but you can only please some of the people some of the time. My 1450 has just arrived, so I'm off to give it a test run. (CJL)

I agree with you.

However… I am desperately looking for ideas on how to avoid SWMBO finding out about my 58xx, Royal Mail, a 71 and a Manning Wardle, all of which will be arriving in the next few days or weeks and, more importantly, how to counter her probably slightly 'aggressive' opinion on how I can justify them (I refer to their cost, not the incoherence in era!). I have a distinct feeling that the argument that these products please me won't carry much weight.

Help !