RMweb

Kernow GWR steam rail motor

DJM Dave

• 4 weeks later...

I have one of these on order but am now having a crisis of confidence about the livery I chose. I am modelling a station on the Kingswinford branch of the GWR Oxford Worcester and Wolverhampton railway. Opened in 1925 and passenger services (mostly SRMs) ceased in 1932. I guessed 'simplified chocolate and brown' would be right, but am wondering now.

It's proving an interesting project, but having a .jpg  (from the National Archives) of the original 1914 GWR drawing of Wombourn(e) station has been a boon.

Edited by 72degrees
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

It could be any of the liveries, depending on which year you're planning on modelling, repaints were at around 7+ year intervals, so the choices are GW Lake, 1922 livery or the simplified 27/8 livery.

Thanks. I'm staying fairly flexible [1] as I want to run later period (to 1965) goods trains, but for passengers mainly the last years before they ceased, so rechecking the Kernow Models descriptions simplified chocolate and cream seems the best one to start with. 

[1] The 1914 plan I have shows the goods yard at Wombourn with two sidings, whereas most photos available show only one. Plus the signal box ended up larger and in a slightly different location. So I'm doing my own 'scenario' with two sidings for more interest and box as shown in 50's photos so I can attempt to model it. The plan includes detailed drawings of the station building and waiting room so I will stick with those. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/12/2023 at 08:16, 72degrees said:

[1] The 1914 plan I have shows the goods yard at Wombourn with two sidings, whereas most photos available show only one. Plus the signal box ended up larger and in a slightly different location. So I'm doing my own 'scenario' with two sidings for more interest and box as shown in 50's photos so I can attempt to model it. The plan includes detailed drawings of the station building and waiting room so I will stick with those. 

Wasn’t a lot of the track lifted on this branch and used in France (WW1)?

I’d understood it was one of the last branch lines built and its opening was delayed because of the above, it had a very short lived passenger service.

It would have been interesting if the proposed junction on this line had been built to link with the Severn Valley Railway.

It’s fortunate that two station buildings still survive as well as a good shed at Tettenhall, sundry bridges, due to it being a public walkway and cycle path.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, rprodgers said:

Wasn’t a lot of the track lifted on this branch and used in France (WW1)?

I’d understood it was one of the last branch lines built and its opening was delayed because of the above, it had a very short lived passenger service.

It would have been interesting if the proposed junction on this line had been built to link with the Severn Valley Railway.

It’s fortunate that two station buildings still survive as well as a good shed at Tettenhall, sundry bridges, due to it being a public walkway and cycle path.

Indeed. Wombourne station seems grandiose, yet on the plan, the platforms beyond the footbridge are shown as timber construction. Until I got the plan, the station building being almost on the end of the surviving  brick platform seemed odd. We quite often go for a walk or cycle down there. Last time (before I found the plan) I did some brick course  and slab counting together with pacing out to get an idea of dimensions. We also found what I think is the remains of the base of a lamp. 

Sorry for the thread drift. 
I've put a photo of my progress so far in my other thread if anyone is interested.
https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/182768-introduction/

• Like 2

On 24/12/2023 at 16:22, 72degrees said:

Indeed. Wombourne station seems grandiose, yet on the plan, the platforms beyond the footbridge are shown as timber construction. Until I got the plan, the station building being almost on the end of the surviving  brick platform seemed odd. We quite often go for a walk or cycle down there. Last time (before I found the plan) I did some brick course  and slab counting together with pacing out to get an idea of dimensions. We also found what I think is the remains of the base of a lamp. 

Sorry for the thread drift. 
I've put a photo of my progress so far in my other thread if anyone is interested.
https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/182768-introduction/

Can I assume you have Ned Williams' book "The railway to Wombourn" published by Euralia press in 1986 ?  Ned has photos in the book of Car 40 on the initial passenger journey over the line, and of car 53 at Dunstall Park approx 1930. 

Although the photos are unsurprisingly monochrome they are very useful from a modelling perspective.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 26/12/2023 at 17:21, Covkid said:

Can I assume you have Ned Williams' book "The railway to Wombourn" published by Euralia press in 1986 ?  Ned has photos in the book of Car 40 on the initial passenger journey over the line, and of car 53 at Dunstall Park approx 1930. 

Although the photos are unsurprisingly monochrome they are very useful from a modelling perspective.  

I have. Probably why I ordered what I did. A senior moment 🙂

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, Kernow MRC said:

GWR Steam Railmotor - Project and Shipping Update

Good News - We are pleased to advise that the shipment of the GWR Steam Railmotors has arrived in the UK and is currently being cleared through customs before the models will soon arrive with us.

We have updated our dedicated project page here https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/n/284/Project-update---GWR-Steam-Railmotor

Sound versions have to be so fitted before being sent out. Fortunately, there’s plenty to keep me busy in the meantime. An excellent choice of model. My payment for the abandoned DJ Class 74 went into it, so I’m doubly grateful to Kernow.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I’m looking forward to getting mine at Easter- that will give me time to build the timber platform extensions of Limpley Stoke on a curve. I’m going to use Scale Model Scenery laser cut girders for support but haven’t worked out how to make the planking on a curve !

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

I’m looking forward to getting mine at Easter- that will give me time to build the timber platform extensions of Limpley Stoke on a curve. I’m going to use Scale Model Scenery laser cut girders for support but haven’t worked out how to make the planking on a curve !

They will be despatched to pre-orders well before Easter!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

On 03/01/2024 at 17:16, stephennicholson said:

Modelu Crew and Passengers (now painted) waiting patiently on the platform for the arrival of No. 85

These ones?

image.png.cfa2561277f3c9e7b0ed1b1a0eab86be.png

Designed for the KMRC GWR Railmotor with the assistance of Kernow Model Railway Centre and Didcot Railway Centre. This set contains a driver, fireman and guard. Please note that this pack can also be ordered without the legs pre-cut.

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product/12203/

Seems a shame to have to cut their legs off!

image.png.addd078f928dc471619f414e012ab278.png

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product/12204/

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to an email inviting me to collect one soon.  Along with the Boosters also ready for collection it's an expensive but worthwhile start to the year.  

Perhaps @Graham_Muz or another well-versed individual might suggest some suitable paint colours for the ModelU figures.  

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Wearing hats during that period, standing on the platform yes, but would they all have kept them on once seated inside the rail motor ??

When 'out' (ie. not at home), the ladies certainly would have kept their hats on all the time. The men would no doubt have politely doffed their hats or caps at the ladies on the platform, and then put them back on again, repeating it once again when greeting another lady who arrives on the scene. Some men would have kept their headgear on once on the train, others  removed theirs - but I think they generally removed them if sat next to or opposite ladies. (My observations from old archive film or movies).

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Wearing hats during that period, standing on the platform yes, but would they all have kept them on once seated inside the rail motor ??

Careful. There are some on this forum who will now want the hats supplied separately in an accessories bag. Feet and legs too probably!

• Like 3
  • Funny 13

2 hours ago, Tramshed said:

Careful. There are some on this forum who will now want the hats supplied separately in an accessories bag. Feet and legs too probably!

An interesting idea, and an opportunity to model a Lost Property Office? Hats, coats, bags, shoes, suitcases, umbrellas, spectacles, bicycles, false teeth, etc, etc.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Coppercap said:

When 'out' (ie. not at home), the ladies certainly would have kept their hats on all the time. The men would no doubt have politely doffed their hats or caps at the ladies on the platform, and then put them back on again, repeating it once again when greeting another lady who arrives on the scene. Some men would have kept their headgear on once on the train, others  removed theirs - but I think they generally removed them if sat next to or opposite ladies. (My observations from old archive film or movies).

I will ensure that hatted gentlemen are sat no where near the ladies in my Rail car. Presumably railway staff were exempt from this etiquette rule.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, stephennicholson said:

I will ensure that hatted gentlemen are sat no where near the ladies in my Rail car. Presumably railway staff were exempt from this etiquette rule.

In my era as an SM, 40+ years ago, getting staff to wear their hat was a major problem!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1